Books

My favourite books

108
Emily Hutch

So, what can be said about books? Ah, books... Unfortunately, there are not enough young people who like to read in England. It seems like an unpopular hobby; something that isn’t ‘cool’. I firmly disagree with this. Books have the ability to take you to another world, to stimulate your imagination and transport you to places you’ve never been before. Books can be long, short, big or small. Books can have a mixture of pictures and hundreds upon hundreds of words. Books can be exciting, scary, thrilling and confusing. But, above all, books can be interesting.

So, what’s your favourite book? Actually, that’s a silly question. How daft of me. How can you only have one favourite book in the whole world? For me... a favourite series has to be the Harry Potter series by J.K.Rowling. I don’t have a favourite book out of the seven, but I do have preferences as to which I most enjoy reading. My favourite book is the third one. I’m not completely sure why; I suppose it’s because in this book Harry finally feels like he has a true family. My least favourite book is probably one of the latter ones, either the sixth or seventh book. Both of these books, to me, feel like they don’t have the same ‘magic’ as the previous ones.

Another of my favourite series is His Dark Materials by Philip Pullman. This trilogy is all about the adventures of a young girl called Lyra and her daemon, Pantalaimon. It is filled with adventure, despair, intrigue and suspense; this is one of the main reasons why it appeals to me so much. There is such a variety of subjects and stories that the books were very difficult to put down when I first read them. They still are to this day in fact.

Here’s a small selection of my favourite books:

• The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings
  • The Wind on Fire Trilogy
  • The Dark Tower Series
  • The Twilight Series
  • Artemis Fowl
  • Pride and Prejudice
  • Captain Corelli’s Mandolin
  • 1984
  • The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo Trilogy
  • The Da Vinci Code + books by Dan Brown

Note from editor: The series on this list are the blogger's personal selection.

What are your three absolute favourite books in the world? Write a comment and tell us!

Sukhman31's picture
Sukhman31 21 February, 2017 - 16:36

Usually I don't read books, but my friend suggested me some. And these are the books that I like: Harry Potter and Hunger Games.

baroonmlk's picture
baroonmlk 11 January, 2017 - 09:43

hi everyone !!!!
it seems like every time i'm reading a new book ,i consider that book as my favourite one .
i'm reading twilight series right now ... then you may guess what my favourite books are :))))

UK4EVER's picture
UK4EVER 13 March, 2016 - 12:26

1) Fallen by Kate Lauren
2) Beautiful by Amy Reed
3) Harry Potter by J. K. Rowling
4) One Direction: Our Story Our Bend

initiate's picture
initiate 31 December, 2015 - 17:54

I think books are special. Because they give us a special world. A special world that nobody knows. So i love reading books. My favorite books are Divergent, Percy Jackson and Harry Potter.

ninagi's picture
ninagi 15 November, 2015 - 09:47

J'adore lire... (I love reading...) My favorite books are 'The Little Prince', 'The Martian', 'War Horse' and all books about Harry Potter!

iva10 15 June, 2015 - 15:22

I read a lot of books. But this are my three favorite books :Harry Potter ,The lord of the rings and the last but not the least Oliver Twist.

Miroslava_Ost's picture
Miroslava_Ost 6 April, 2015 - 20:35

I like to read a books very much:) I constantly read it - when I come to school, when I have free time from my homework and preparing to ZNO examination (it's an entrance exam in Ukraine). My favorite genres are a non-fiction, antiutopia, detective and triller. Three books which I like more than other are 1) The Maze runner; 2) Handling the Undead (by John Lindqvist); 3) Feed (by Mira Grand). Last book is just excelent! I would like to see this book is filmed. I think, it would be a very popular adaptation.

italiangirl's picture
italiangirl 8 March, 2015 - 20:40

My favourite books are:

1) The hunger games saga by S.Collins

2)Looking for Alaska by John Green

3)We are infinity by S.C.

mafiaxxl's picture
mafiaxxl 18 March, 2015 - 17:35

I love more fantsy book
- Lord of the Ring (favourite, favourite)
-Hobbit
-Eragon (great book, bad film)
-...........

Silvermist's picture
Silvermist 29 December, 2014 - 15:19

Silly question, although it gives a place for three, so I think I might be able to decide my three favourite books.
1. Percy Jackson +Heroes of olympus -- Rick Riordan
2. Woman in White-- Wilkie Collins
3. Harry potter-- U know who;) J.K. rowling.
I'm really sorry but my list of favourites exceeds three,
I also love Pride and Predjudice and Anne of green gables series + all the bks of Agatha Christie

Rockyy's picture
Rockyy 30 August, 2014 - 07:42

Hi guys!
I love reading books so much!! I have got lots of favourite books so i can't decide which is the best. But if we talk about book book types, i love fantastic, romantic, comic, murder -just agathe christie!!- and internet literature so it isn't professional but i love!!

justcricketforme 16 August, 2014 - 14:49

I am a HUGE fan of the Divergent series which I recently finished. I love the book. It's a science fiction and the film isn't bad either. It's a really good and it's author is Veronica Roth.

Macha3009's picture
Macha3009 26 June, 2014 - 16:47

I love reading books. I can't really choose which ones are my favorites, because i like a lot of books. These are some of my favorites: Percy Jackson and the Olympians series
Hunger Games trilogy
Divergent trilogy
Mortal instruments trilogy :D

justcricketforme 16 August, 2014 - 14:51

Hi! I love Divergent triology too and Hunger Games triology is also one of my favourites!

WhiteRabbit's picture
WhiteRabbit 22 April, 2014 - 13:52

The Little Princess. It is my favorite book since I was really young.Don't you think Sarah is really brave and independent? She respect everyone and give everyone her help. It's really warm and it helped me go through some hard time^^

Hi WhiteRabbit!
I also loved reading The Little Princess when I was a child. The story of Sarah really impressed me and I really felt sorry for her but she was really a brave girl!

Kamil's picture
Kamil 20 January, 2014 - 13:28

I really enjoy reading and I love books.My favourite books are Harry Potter series, His Dark Materials and Divergent by Veronica Roth, but I can say I love books by L.M.Montgomery - Anne of Green Gables and other following parts :)

Henry's picture
Henry 5 January, 2014 - 10:17

I really recommend The Hunger Games trilogy and the trilogy Idhun's memories it isn't very famous but those books are really good.

AminaB's picture
AminaB 27 October, 2013 - 13:42

I've got lots of favourite books, some of them: The vampire diaries-The Fury,True colour,The last song,Still missing..

Bosnianchild's picture
Bosnianchild 15 September, 2013 - 15:37

My favourite three books are: The Kite Runner, Green Sod and The Prince and the Pauper.
In the first book details describe are fantastic and realistically.
In the second book.
Green sod is roman of Edhem Mulabdić, first published 1898. Setting this novel is a city Maglaj in Bosnia and Herzegovina, and the time the action was a period in the history of Bosnia crossing from the Ottoman Empire in the composition of the Austrian-Hungary. The main characters of this novel are: Aisha (a character from the folk poetry, daughter Mehmedaga, beautiful, magical face and smile, soft and cuddly), Ahmet (son of Omer Efendije, a young, dark-eyed, unassuming, shy as a girl).

Negar1995's picture
Negar1995 29 August, 2013 - 08:28

i think the best book is Harry Potter.i love it!!!!!its amazing.just read it for once u will understand what i mean!!

Science_everywhere's picture
Science_everywhere 24 August, 2013 - 08:57

Somehow, I never got the charm of love stories. Now that I am writing a book, I understand that is quite an important element in stories. Seems I'll have to read few of them, no matter how much I avoid them!!
Does anyone here read Heroes of Olympus?

Silvermist's picture
Silvermist 29 December, 2014 - 15:22

I do and its a great plot............ a plot so deeply entwined. Blood of Olympus was released at last!

angelia's picture
angelia 18 August, 2013 - 17:46

I love to read books. Books are my friends.My favourite 3 books are ROBINSON CRUSE. HARRY POTTER, WILLIAM SHAKESPEARE_HAMLET.

dudek's picture
dudek 5 August, 2013 - 14:50

Hello,
I LOVE READING i spend most of my weekends with the books and to me a perfect day is nothing but books and a cup of COFFE..!!! my favorites are many but lemme short list few of 'em ..
1.HARRY POTTER SERIES..
2.poetry of john keats
3.pride and the prejudice
4.all the works of shakespeare
Among these i love harry potter i read the 7 books 3 times .. :P :P

Henry's picture
Henry 5 January, 2014 - 10:23

You' re like i really like reading and i recommend you the book collection of Idhun's memories there are a trilogy wroten by Laura Gallego García (it's Spanish like my) those book talks about a world called idhun there are my favorites books.

Science_everywhere's picture
Science_everywhere 3 August, 2013 - 14:51

Books are definitely man's best friend.. and girl's!!! I am a writer as well as a voracious reader so books are really important for me. From Percy Jackson to Harry Potter to Artemis Fowl, books surround us actually. They are stories.. normal stories which happen everyday but a little modified. They are everywhere you look.. I've started to think they are a bit like science really...

Potterheaded's picture
Potterheaded 24 July, 2013 - 14:23

Books are life. My favourite books are Harry Potter, Percy Jackson, the Mortal Instruments, Sherlock Holmes, the Chronicles of Narnia, the Hunger Games, and the Vampire Diaries. :D

156gabi's picture
156gabi 12 January, 2014 - 22:11

I agree with you marish about books and I also think that Theodore Dreiser is incredible writer !!! :D

Natalija 17 July, 2013 - 20:03

I agree with you, Klea. Nicolas Sparks is really an amazing writer, he knows to describe love in such an interesting way, and I read A walk to Remember and I liked it. And Notebook and The message in the Bottle are also great works, if you have not read them yet, I advice you to read it.
Greetings!

KLEA B's picture
KLEA B 17 July, 2013 - 13:51

My best book is " A walk to remember" and " Dear John" .This books are both written by Nicholas Sparks and both of them speaks about a love story between teens. Everyone who has read them will have the same opinion like me . I won't forgot another book but this time it is an adventurous book called " 7 little australian'' written by Ethel Turner.

Natalija 13 July, 2013 - 12:06

I would like to add some books I have recently read:
The Kite Runner(a hard and painful book, but written in an excellent way by Haled Hosseini)
The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde
To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee-I read it thanks to Learn English Teens, because they recommended that book
The Cather in the Rye by Salinger
Beloved by Tony Morison
The Official Preppy Handbook-it is not some extraordinary work, but it is very interesting, especially for teenage girls, and full of preppy advices

onedirectionlover2002's picture
onedirectionlov... 20 June, 2013 - 07:50

Oh I can't live without books! I love The Chronicles of Narnia, Harry Potter, Ally's World and Dear America Series. It's fun to read you can get knowledge and enjoy it.

Mali's picture
Mali 20 May, 2013 - 17:21

Hello everybody!
Yeah, of course, the books is always very interesting and useful things. We learn a lot of interesting facts from scientific books, develop our imagination-of fantastic books, develop our inner world- of psychological and religious books.But the youth has stopped to love them and read them, because there were innovative technologies, that are more interesting than the books. In my opinion, people, all the same, will again be happy to read a book. The books have spirits of their writers, and we feel them when we read writer's works.
So, as for me, I like "Harry Potter", of course, "Dark Materials" trilogy (like an author :)) and Jane Ostin's "Pride and Prejudice". I was shocked by these books. Thank God for such great mindsб that created such masterpieces!