Books

My favourite childhood books

22
NaomiK

I was a bit of a bookworm as a child.  For every car journey, day trip or family holiday, a stack of books was always packed to keep me busy. Since then, I’ve continued reading all kinds of books but I’ll always love my childhood favourites. So I’ll let you in on my top five.

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time – Mark Haddon
This children’s mystery novel is interesting, exciting, thought-provoking, sad and happy all at the same time. The main character is a 15-year-old autistic boy. The book gives you a window into his world, his thoughts, his hopes and his dreams. It’s easy to read and both kids and adults love it. A must-read in my opinion.

Secret Seven – Enid Blyton
If you love adventures, this one’s for you. The Secret Seven are a group of child detectives who make it their mission to solve crimes. They have many adventures along the way. It’s a fun book that you won’t want to stop reading. And in fact, there is more than one book. There’s a series of books about Secret Seven's adventures so if you like the first one, you’re in luck!

Matilda – Roald Dahl
It’s now a film and show at the theatre, but we can’t forget the original book. Matilda is about a lovable little girl who is very clever and, like me, loves to read. She goes to school and meets the very scary Miss Trunchbull who tortures children, but thankfully makes friends with a kind teacher. The book will have you crying one moment and laughing the next.

Charlotte’s Web – E.B. White
I never thought I’d like a book about a spider but this one’s an exception. Charlotte’s Web tells the story of friendship between an unlikely pair – a pig and a spider. Yes, it sounds weird but it’s lovely. It’s a simple story but it teaches us about love, life and death. If you haven’t read it, give it a try. It is a classic after all.

The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe – C.S. Lewis
As a kid I read the book, watched the film and listened to the tape. I really couldn’t get enough of The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe. If you know it, you’ll know why. It’s an exciting tale set in a magical land called Narnia. When you’re reading it, you’ll feel like you’re really there. You’ll get caught up in the adventures of the four children and the characters they meet. It’s epic, I can’t rate it highly enough.

Note from editor: The books on this list are the blogger's personal selection.

Have you read any of the books in NaomiK's list? Which one sounds the most interesting to you? 

catastrophe's picture
catastrophe 24 June, 2017 - 10:51

Yeah, I've read most of them. Matilda, Charlotte's web, and the Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe were good. I haven't read the Curious Incident of a Dog yet, but I think Famous Five was way better than Secret seven.
Books have always been my hobby. I love books. Especially Harry Potter. And Inkheart trilogy, septimus heap, Charlie bone, and much, much more. They were marvellous. Books are always entertaining to me. :)))

ariina's picture
ariina 7 June, 2017 - 14:47

I haven't read any of this books...but I love Anne Shirley's books and Artemis Favel and I recommend them to you.

Sebastian_Kurtano's picture
Sebastian_Kurtano 10 October, 2016 - 20:51

I don't read many books so as i wish and I didn't read the books of list . But I have read book by Alexandre Dumas "Count of Monte Cristo". The book is considered a literary classic today. I started read the book half year ago and after 1.5 weeks finished I want to say this is a my favorite book. I think I will read this amazing adventure novel again.

Boogzy's picture
Boogzy 27 September, 2016 - 11:53

I haven't read any of the books above but one book that I really want to read is ''The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe – C.S. Lewis''
/Ilia

wiseteen's picture
wiseteen 12 September, 2016 - 12:40

I've read Matilda, buy in French. I also watched it a film in English.
I will read the curious incident...

Jonathan - Coor... 11 September, 2016 - 15:58

Hi thaobuiphuong. Do you mean post comments? If so, well done - you've done it correctly. There is sometimes a short delay for your comment to appear. This is because we check all comments first before publishing them. Or did you mean post your own pieces of writing here, like this blog? At the moment, users can't do that, I'm afraid. We have a team of bloggers who write blogs for us. We hope you enjoy using the site :)

BigBen6464's picture
BigBen6464 25 June, 2016 - 18:27

Unfortunately I haven't read any of these books - I watched films: Matilda, The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe and a cartoon Charlotte's Web. I actually didn't know all of these are books, but I'm definitely going to read them all. My favourite childhood book is The Wizard of Oz.

fodorme21's picture
fodorme21 28 May, 2016 - 10:55

As a child I was a great fan of reading. I read almost all Enid Blyton books, lots of Hardy Boys books and also The Three Investigators. They were among my favourite books.

poppymoore's picture
poppymoore 18 May, 2016 - 15:51

As a child I read a lot of Secret Seven and Famous Five books, both by Enid Blyton. I haven't read the original The Lion, the Witch and the Wadrobe though I love the movie a lot. These books were really my childhood favourites and had a happy impact on me.

gianggiang 6 May, 2016 - 12:00

As a child, on hot summer days when my village didn't have enough electric to use, I often sat under the porch with my mom and listen to her tell stories. For me, she was my childhood books. I have lived in remote area so not having chances to read foreign books, I didn't know any ones in Naomik's list. Moreover, when I was small, I also wasn't interested in books. ( Still remember that I prefered playing hide and seek, a cat caught a mouse with fellow friends in rice paddy after harvest, or climbing trees to sitting in silence to " chew" ( but can't "swallow ") books. Books, bookworms, hit the book are quite new to me.

poppymoore's picture
poppymoore 18 May, 2016 - 15:56

Hi ! gianggiang I really wish I had a childhood like you which was free and amist nature. It sounds so cool.

Elsa007 28 April, 2016 - 04:27

Hmmm...... I see..
Gianggiang's question had me thinking the grammar structure!

Yes, indeed Matilda had me crying one moment and laughing the next!
If you're having a boring time, I would recommend "Someone like you" by Roald Dahl! :-)

gianggiang 6 May, 2016 - 11:49

hi,
Your comment included the new grammar structure (hehe).
Well, I think that time for reading books is really precious. I just read magazine in boring time.

gianggiang 13 April, 2016 - 07:08

Hmm
I do not understand the grammer structure which NaomiK used in the expression :" This book will have you crying one moment and laughing the next ".
-----> S + will have + O + V-ing ?????
What does it mean ? ( = This book will make you cry one.....)

Jo - Coordinator's picture
Jo - Coordinator 13 April, 2016 - 11:36

Hi giangiang! Yes, that's right. That structure is used with the same meaning as 'make someone do something'.
The film had me hiding behind the sofa. = The film made me hide behind the sofa.
She had them crying with laughter. = She made them cry with laughter.
This book will have you crying your eyes out. = This book will make you cry your eyes out.

A useful structure for book and film reviews!
Best wishes, Joanna (LearnEnglish Teens team)

gianggiang 17 May, 2016 - 15:08

Thanks, Jo. One more question, you meant this kind of structure is only used for " someone", not " something" : e,g The film had my cat hiding behind the sofa ? ( Ô-Ơ )