Books

My love-hate relationship with reading

20
EmilyW

When I was younger, I loved to read. I could get through a whole book in a day, and used to beg my parents every night to let me stay up later so I could 'just finish my chapter'. From fairytales to thrillers, non-fiction to plays, I devoured any literature that I could get my hands on.

However, while there are many books for younger children, once you reach your mid-teens the options become limited. I found myself choosing between books for children that were silly and patronizing, and adult books that I couldn't quite understand.

This lack of choice eventually led me to read less and less. When I was in secondary school, the only books I read were ones we were assigned in English class, and I was never very enthusiastic about my teacher's choices. I thought too much discussion of symbolism and themes ruined the book. Maybe the sky being blue didn't represent or foreshadow anything; maybe it was just a description! Rather than instilling a love of literature in me, it made me vow never to pick up a book again.

Fortunately, I realised very quickly that deciding to go to university meant that I had signed up for four years of reading books. I reluctantly chose a French literature module in my first year. I started out grumpy, determined not to enjoy any of the works we were studying over the course of the year. However, I soon realised that at a university level, the discussion was more fruitful and the books more interesting, and I found I had a lot to say! Books with women as the main characters especially interested me, and being able to discuss my thoughts with other people meant that I could better understand the subtle aspects of the plot: yes, even the symbolism and themes.

I began reading again for pleasure, starting with Malcolm X's autobiography and never looking back. Now, during my year abroad, I spend a lot of my spare time in bookshops and reading in cafés, and even attend a monthly book club with some other language assistants.

Reading is a great way to escape, broaden your horizons, improve your vocabulary and use your imagination: I'm so happy that I rediscovered my love of books.

Do you like reading? What kinds of books do you like to read?

TurquoiseAoi's picture
TurquoiseAoi 10 September, 2015 - 21:55

I'm having the same problem as the writer in the magazine article above. I don't know whether what books to read because they are whether books for children or books I don't understand. Can anyone recommend me books to read? I like to read the mystery, psychological ( where characters try to read each other and guess/ understand each other plans), science fiction, adventure, and fantasy categories. But i don't know what to read any more. I'm especially interested in reading stories where two characters battle each other, and we can't tell who's evil or who's good, and we try to guess who's going to win at the end. I just love to predict what will happen next. (^u^) I want to thank the British council in advance. I'm new here and I like the website.

Astamariemus's picture
Astamariemus 17 October, 2015 - 17:43

I actually think there is a lot of books for 'teens' these days...
Like 'The Hunger games', 'Divergent', 'Harry Potter', 'The selection' and 'the Mortal instruments'.
I would recommend the series 'Slated' by Teri Terry, because it is science fiction and maybe it has a little of that mystery and "who can I trust"-thing. I hope it was useful :)

Nadoda_362's picture
Nadoda_362 1 May, 2015 - 17:18

I love reading books!!! I like many types of books. I like Shakespeare, but not all of his plays. I love the merchant of Venice, even though we study this play at school and the class is really boring, i admit the play is really good!!

Saionji's picture
Saionji 26 April, 2015 - 14:39

I love reading books but I have a problem ,I had travelled to Muscat and there is no bookshops there and if there is they did not contains English books , because of that I can buy books only once a year !! when the book exhibition comes, that is really boring,yeah? in that time I try to buy as much as I can , my sisters said at the first year " why all that, will you eat them?!"
And when I finish reading those books I start to download books from the internet , I prefer to read books, I mean real books that made of paper!! but I have no choise .
*sorry for my bad English , living in oman makes me speak Arabic and forget my English!Ihope that someone from the learn english teens team could check my comment and tell me what is wrong (spelling, Grammar,.....)
thanks,
Saionji

JoEditor's picture
JoEditor 27 April, 2015 - 12:07

Hi Saionji,
Welcome to LearnEnglish Teens. Your English is really good, please don't be sorry for your level. I can understand you perfectly. On LearnEnglish Teens we don't correct your spelling and your grammar. This is for two reasons. The first reason is that we have a very small team of moderators and we don't have time to correct every comment. The second reason is that your English does not need to be perfect for you to be able to communicate with others. 
All the best, Jo (LearnEnglish Teens Team) 

Silvermist's picture
Silvermist 19 April, 2015 - 17:19

I love reading books. I read all sorts of books. I recently read the divergent series. I also like ,
Hunger games, pride and prejudice, the heroes of Olympus series, woman in white and many more.
I 'm in the verge of reading Dan Brown's books.

poppymoore's picture
poppymoore 13 March, 2015 - 10:16

i am new here nd i want to post an article here . can anyone please help me nd tell me how?

JoEditor's picture
JoEditor 13 March, 2015 - 13:48

Hi poppymoore,
At the moment we have a team of bloggers who write the articles in our Magazine section. It's not possible to accept any new writers just now. In the future we would like to have more space for our users to write articles and poems but at the moment you can write as many comments as you like.
Best wishes, Jo (LearnEnglish Teens Team)

hadia 30 March, 2015 - 14:50

Hi Jo!
I am very good at English and it has always been my favourite subject i also write articles but as you have said that you have a team of bloggers who write articles for magazines so I want to ask that what is time limit required for a user to enter into the team of magazine or there are some conditions like age limit or anything like that.... because I also want to write :)

Jo - Coordinator's picture
Jo - Coordinator 31 March, 2015 - 09:24

Hi hadia, I can see that you are very good at English! I'm looking forward to reading more of your comments. I have recorded your request and user details so that if we do start a user-generated section or need writers like you in the future we can let you know. 
Thanks and best wishes,
Joanna (LearnEnglishTeens team)

hadia 31 March, 2015 - 11:07

Thanks a lot Jo!
it's very kind of you that you have considered my request. I'll always be ready to write something for your section. Thanks a lot once again!

poppymoore's picture
poppymoore 13 March, 2015 - 09:43

reading has always been my first love but the book i love changes every month .right now its jane ausen and nancy drew files

Elsa007 22 February, 2015 - 14:32

Unlike my bro and sis, who were clearly book worms, I wasn't too keen on reading. As a kid, I preferred playing outside to playing inside a fiction. But once I got drawn to a story, I tried to read it in one go, such books as a series of Doctor Dolittle, Treasure Island, Sharlock, and other thrillers. When I was in secondary school, I found it interesting to write short book reports. Then, the older I got, the more I felt 'truth is intriguing than fiction' and have edged away from novels.Yet reading books is still a part of my life.
"I think of life as a good book. The further you get into it, the more it begins to make sense."–Harold Kushner

sona's picture
sona 31 January, 2015 - 16:52

I love reading books.They are my close friends that stay everyday with me,telling different kinds of stories. They stay with me even why I'm nervous,even why I'm crying,trying to improve my mood. Books are my teachers,they learn everything about life.I like to read novel and poems . My favourite book is 'Harry Potter' written by J.K .Rowling.

Harabeli Supersweet 30 January, 2015 - 15:34

I love reading books, especially the classic ones. I read almost every kind of book, not just books that I need for school. I might enjoy even some best sellers, but what I really appreciate are the classics, because I can learn a lot from them and the period of time when they were written. Books that are written these days can't be that deep and interesting, because our lives have changed really much and people are more passive. It wouldn't be cool to read a story of someone who surfs the net all day or watches TV all the time. That's why I prefer the classics better.

telldili's picture
telldili 28 January, 2015 - 01:53

soft skills' books are my daily life. I read them because I find them useful... Just imagine, reading a book in the garden in pure atmosphere, everything will be more comfortable.