Books

Should e-readers replace books?

12
AnnaM

Call me old fashioned, traditionalist or just a technophobe but the new wave of e-readers such as Kindles, Kobos and Nooks scares me. Honestly, I avoid looking at them whenever I walk into a shop and instead focus on the reassuring white pages of physical books!

Books provide a reading experience which is much more high-tech than the dim screen of an e-reader: the rustle of the pages, the faint crack of the spine when you eagerly turn the page, the faint papery smell of a freshly purchased novel and the feel of the rough paper beneath your fingertips. Your travel books will become filled with public transport ticket stubs, creased maps, museum and art gallery passes. Your beloved recipe books will be stained with your latest culinary creation, greasy with butter, splashed with sauces and sprinkled with spices. Poetry collections will rustle with Post-It notes, school textbooks will become a rainbow of highlighting and novels will become creased with use.

In comparison, the world of the Kindle or Kobo is dim and dull; a greyish, boring world of sterile technology. Surely, it can be said that they do not give the reader the true reading experience? Yet, more and more of us are buying these e-readers. Is there something to be said for the convenience of having thousands of books, newspapers and magazines at your fingertips? You can start a journey at one of Jane Austen’s Regency dances and end up in Count Dracula’s horrifying castle. It’s the literary equivalent of time-travelling! Another reason in favour of the e-reader is that they eliminate peer pressure as well, as no-one can see exactly what you’re reading. Furthermore, on a Kindle the majority of classics, such as Shakespeare or Dickens can even be downloaded for free.

Maybe a compromise can be reached. There is no need to give up the physical books as they are like life-long friends which have walked faithfully beside you for years. Yet, it might be possible for us to carve out a role for these e-readers after all. In any case, anything which promotes reading is surely a good thing! It’s all about balance. Maybe I should be brave and invest in an e-reader after all!

What do you think about e-readers? Do you have one? Would you like one? 

BubblyUnicorn16's picture
BubblyUnicorn16 26 October, 2016 - 17:31

I like books better because you can feel the pages as you turn them. And authors can actually hold their book when it is published and say "I wrote this." instead of looking at their e-reader.

Hanna's picture
Hanna 6 December, 2013 - 18:17

I have e-reader but I like books more. I had to buy e-book cause I don't have free space for shelves and bookcases in my apartment. I can say that readers are very comfortable for using them every day, 24 hours a day and 7 days a week. Yes they are not "alive" and can't replace books but they have some advanteges. I hope that in future I will have big house and there will be whole big room for books and it will be my paradise)

WildChild's picture
WildChild 5 November, 2013 - 15:04

I don't have one, but I don't really need it.. I already have computer and I prefer books...:)

MALINE 27 October, 2013 - 19:30

I preffer old books,I like the smell and the sensation of the paper,I feel that way is easier to remember things and to associate them.

Harabeli Supersweet 28 September, 2013 - 08:39

I don't have e-readers and I don't need them. They can never replace a touchable book. Only a real book made of paper can make us feel the story. And I think it's healthier for our eyes to read something written on letter than something on a screen. We wouldn't have bookshelfs, libraries if we replaced our books with e-readers and I thing that our books are the most valuable treasure that our children can inherit from us. I can imagine a huge family library that is made by contribution of different generations.

Natalija 25 September, 2013 - 19:32

I don't have an e-reader and I don't want to have one. I think it's dull and boring, and as Lavender said, it's not personalized. I'm maybe a little bit old fashioned and I'm completely retro, and I like everything to be traditional and retro and that's why I would never exchange books with e-readers. Anyhow, e-readers aren't very popular in my country. I've never met someone with an e-reader in Serbia and I like it. I guess that in other countries, like USA or some countries on the West, it is very popular, but it hasn't come to Serbia yet, luckily :-).

Lavender 24 September, 2013 - 18:00

The author reminds me of my school textbooks. They're not only books with letters but also keep my memory about school, teachers and friends. My friends often draw little tiny and silly pictures on the vacancy of my books, then they wrote a caption teasing me. I found them so funny and so cute. Now I still recognize who draw the picture. I also draw on my own books, when I felt the teacher or the content boring. I highlighted or underlined which I felt important, so there were pages fairly colorful. There were paragraphs full of my small handwriting letters added between 2 lines. I still remember the circles that I made to mark the exercises I needed to do. I don't hate e readers, technology brings us the convenience. My bag is heavy with books of different subjects a day. But think about what I could do with e-readers? Just read and read and read, my books will be the same as my friends' and all other students. Oh no, that's too dull. I prefer personalize what belong to me. So if I have to choose I'd like to say yes to the traditional reading.

Max06's picture
Max06 12 October, 2013 - 21:13

Im agree with you.I like traditional reading too. what do you do for speaking skill?whats your competence?

Lavender 16 October, 2013 - 08:35

Thank you Max. Well it's hard to answer your question because I find difficult to practice speaking in English. I think the most important for is to try our best on class. I use practicing time on class to talk with my classmates. We're the same level so it makes things easier. In addition I keep commenting on this site. My grammar may be wrong but at least I have a chance to use my English to express my thoughts. I just found out this site 6 months ago but now I fall for it.
So how about you Max? Where do you come from?