Books

A Song for Issy Bradley

4
GraceD

I received several books for Christmas, which I was very happy about. I've only had time to read one so far, but I really enjoyed it! It's called A Song for Issy Bradley by Carys Bray. It's her first novel, and it tells the story of what happens to the Bradley family when the youngest child, Issy, dies.

The Bradley family are Mormons. The dad, Ian, is a bishop, and his wife, Claire, became Mormon before she married him. They have four children: teenage Zippy, who has recently fallen in love; football-crazy Alma; Jacob, who is starting to learn about his faith; and four-year-old Issy.

A Song for Issy Bradley is really a book about faith. It gives insight into the Mormon religion and the day-to-day life of its members. Ultimately, it explores how faith can be affected by tragedy. Each chapter focuses on a different family member and their struggle to come to terms with Issy's death. Although Ian is unfaltering in his beliefs, he finds it difficult to accept that Issy has died; Claire sinks into a deep depression; and Zippy, Alma, and Jacob all question their faith in different ways as they try to understand their sister's death.

Although the storyline is evidently not a very happy one, A Song for Issy Bradley is a funny and heart-warming book and it is full of interesting and endearing characters! For me, one of the most interesting things about this novel is that it shows the Mormon religion from the inside, as the author herself was raised in the Mormon church.

I would definitely recommend A Song for Issy Bradley, and I look forward to Carys Bray's next book!

Have you read any good books recently? 

gianggiang 19 November, 2016 - 14:49

There are books that cherish in us ambitious dreams and desire, others help us live better and contribute to society, there are books that make us laugh forever, cry in some moments, sympathize with unlucky people, and then, we have a notion of happiness. However, there are also countless books that, after reading them we gain nothing but waste an amount of precious time and the question lingering in your head: " Why did I buy that book, huh ???" There are books that remain regardless of time, generations and immortal like the Sun while others are just briefly famous but then sink into obscurity, like beads of dew disappear when the Sun come up.
I would like to share with you one of my favorite book- I'm not sure if it's possible for it to be known after 100 or 200 years or not, but at least I have never forgotten it for 6 years since I first opened the first page: " Where we going, Daddy?" written by Jean-Louis Fournier. This book is a father's feelings and thoughts about his two sons. Both of them are handicapped children, Mathieu and Thomas. One of them ask him hundreds of times" Where we going, Daddy?" and Jean Louis- with the patience of a father, always answer with all love, but Louis never hide his feelings of disappointment and frustration about two sons, " Everybody thinks about having an abnormal child just like we think about an earthquake, and the end of the world, the sort of thing that just happens once, and I have two ends of the world" However, that kind father always love and protect his " two ends of the world", take them to many places, go swimming...He even joked that because he had two handicapped sons, he never worry about their schoolwork, their choices of career: art or science?...But deep inside that bravery father is hidden tears and sorrow. Although the whole world share with and tries to comfort him, the sorrow never fade....
After reading the book, I sympathize with unlucky children, Mathieu and Thomas, they are still a little luckier than many handicapped children in my countries as they has a kind father and medical support. In my countries, many of them are abandoned and have difficult living conditions. In addition to the lack of medical care and economic hardship, children with cognitive impairments face lots of negative attitudes from other people. Our world needs people with open-minded attitudes and warm hearts.

bobila's picture
bobila 18 February, 2016 - 17:02

I could mention two. All the light we cannot see by Antony Doerr and the Book Thief (don't remember the author). I enjoyed both very much especially the second one. Using Death as the narrator of the book and added an unusual quality to the reading of this book.

gianggiang 8 February, 2016 - 04:42

Interesting question ! It's a good chance for me to review the main contents of some books I've read recently. ( In fact, I've read them some times )
1) The one minute manager ( Spencer Johnson )
2) Secrets of the millionaire mind ( Harv Eker )
3) One Minute for Father/ Mother ( Spencer Johnson ) ( Actually, these books are my mother's )
4) Talent and early education ( Kimura Kyuichi ) ( I want to discover the way to train a child become a prodigy, sound unreal ? )
5) How to win friends and influence people ( Dale Carnegie ) ( I've read it so many times, it seems beyond my ability when practicing in real life :>
Finally, a very important book : Diamonds in Mathematical Inequalities ( Tran Phuong ). It's difficult. I advise you to read it with your teachers' supports.