Books

The Testing

5
HannahJ

If you enjoyed watching the Hunger Games movies, I would really suggest reading The Testing trilogy [The Testing, Independent Study and Graduation Day]. It's a dystopian drama set in a world destroyed by war. Only a select few are allowed to attend University and even then they must go through a gruelling and deadly testing to get there.

Its quick pace and gripping storyline make it an enjoyable and easy read. It also raises interesting questions about humanity and society: to what extent does the greater good surpass the needs of the individual? What makes a good leader? How do humans react when competition is introduced?

What differentiates this particular set of novels from its genre is the fact that the protagonists are university-age as opposed to the school-age children we find in The Hunger Games, Divergent and The Maze Runner. Also there is a rare emphasis on academically intellectual prowess. The usual common sense intelligence is also valued, but this is secondary to bookish intellect.

Don’t worry, however, there are still the typical ingredients found in young-adult dystopian dramas such as action, secrets and a certain quest to make things right. All the ingredients make this genre irresistible and absorbing.

Books two and three of the trilogy do not fail to entertain either. With vague hints throughout  towards things not being as they seem, author Joelle Charbonneau keeps us on our toes guessing what plot twist is yet to come. There is perfect coherence between the books as well which some sagas lack; thankfully, The Testing trilogy was obviously envisioned as a set of three so as to avoid the awkward add-ons we sometimes see when authors try to make more of their series than first envisaged.

All in all: a great read and an intriguing concept.

What type of books do you enjoy reading? 

Manaly's picture
Manaly 28 July, 2016 - 16:45

For me i love horror stories. I buy a lot of books and can not stop reading them. The last book i have read is
" The Missing "

poppymoore's picture
poppymoore 8 January, 2016 - 06:38

I like to read books where the protagnists are realistic and can face the world.Even though I like to read romances, i like books like Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen and Margeret Mitchell's Gone with the Wind where the protagnists are witty, intelligent and strong

TheTenthDoctor's picture
TheTenthDoctor 11 December, 2015 - 16:40

I enjoy science fiction. I like horror novels, too. I like reading Stephen King, Tom Clancy, David Icke...

gianggiang 15 November, 2015 - 10:03

I enjoy reading books which mention to hope, determination and love. Sometimes, I cry a lot while reading " Chicken soup for the soul". They are really meaningful stories although authors are not real writers :)
I have never watched Hunger Game movie but I like its soundtrack : " Come morning light/ The sun is going down/ You'll be alright/ No one can hurt you now...You and I 'll be safe and sound.
I always hope to be safe and sound and finally I have found the safety and peace in books.

I hope you keep up reading books because they are the world of knowledge.