Books

The Twilight Saga

48
Ciara Murray

The final instalment of the world renowned Twilight Saga, Stephenie Meyer’s Breaking Dawn, has recently been  released as a two-part motion picture, the first of which arrived in cinemas in November. With the original novel having sold 1.3 million copies within twenty-four hours of its release, and over a thousand showings of the film having already sold out in British cinema pre-sales, it is clear that despite the series soon drawing to a close, its commercial success continues to grow rapidly.

Breaking Dawn begins with the long-awaited wedding of main characters Bella Swan (Kristen Stewart) and Edward Cullen (Robert Pattinson), which is followed by their honeymoon together in Rio. On their wedding night, Bella becomes pregnant. However, bearing a half-vampire child of course does not come without dramatic consequences, as the baby’s rapid growth and naturally violent nature bring great danger and chaos to the lives of the main characters.

If you are unfamiliar with the phenomenon of recent years that is Twilight, it originated from a series of four vampire-themed fantasy romance novels written by Meyer. The first of which, Twilight, was released in 2005, and tells the story of a young, insecure and clumsy Bella Swan moving to live with her father in Forks, Washington. There, she meets the mysterious and handsome Edward Cullen, a member of a vampire family with special powers who choose to drink the blood of animals instead of humans. Edward, who is in fact 104 years old, rescues Bella from a sadistic vampire named James who tries to hunt her.

The sequel, New Moon, follows Bella after the Cullen family leave Forks to protect her from danger. Bella falls into depression until she finds friendship in her neighbour Jacob Black (Taylor Lautner), who becomes a werewolf due to the presence of the enemy: vampires. Jacob falls in love with Bella, so when she is in grave danger at the hands of James’ partner Victoria, who wishes to avenge his death, he must try to protect her with the help of his wolf pack. Due to a misunderstanding, Edward believes that Bella is dead, and decides to commit suicide at the hands of the vampire authority: the Volturi. However, his sister Alice and Bella save him, and the couple are granted freedom on the condition that Bella herself becomes a vampire.

During the third novel, Eclipse, Victoria creates an army of new-born vampires to battle the Cullen family and kill Bella for revenge. Meanwhile, Bella must choose between her relationship with Edward, and her friendship with his rival Jacob. The Cullens and the wolf pack join together to protect Bella and defeat Victoria and her army, but in the end Bella chooses Edward by agreeing to marry him.

Each novel has been released annually as a film since 2008, which brings us back to the release of Breaking Dawn on November 18th. With the birth of Bella’s child having almost killed her, Edward finally turns her into a vampire with her own special power. The second instalment of the film will be released next year, which will show Jacob “imprinting” upon the child Renesmee; meaning he chooses her as his soulmate and therefore helps to raise her until they may be together. He and Edward have put their past rivalry behind them, and are now close friends. But of course, our final film will not be without more drama from the sinister Volturi vampire authorities...

Are you a Twilight fan? Who's your favourite character?

smilemaria85's picture
smilemaria85 22 January, 2016 - 16:46

I didn't watch twilight,I don't like vampires and romantic films.But I like "A thousand years" song (by Cristina Perri)

Sa5m's picture
Sa5m 22 August, 2015 - 11:48

I am a Twilight fan. Both the books and movies are great. My favorite caracter is Alice Cullen and Jacob

Khaleesi's picture
Khaleesi 23 April, 2014 - 13:28

No, I'm not a fan. I've stayed away from this particular saga. The first movie seemed so insipid and monotonous to me. But sparkles? Vampire baseball? Really? "Bloody hell!" As Ron Weasley would say it...

directioner1D's picture
directioner1D 27 July, 2013 - 22:46

My favourite character is Bella Swan ,Edward Cullen, Emmett Cullen ,Alice Cullen and Jasper Hale :)))

WildChild's picture
WildChild 25 July, 2013 - 16:02

I LOVE Twilight saga films !! I'm the biggest fan ! ♥ It's so awesome film , it's much better than a book. :)
My favorite character is Bella Swan (actress Kristen Stewart) ♥

Natalija 23 March, 2013 - 08:46

I haven't read this book yet. I don't like this theme, vampires, but I think it could be interesting. The majority of my friends have read this book more than once and in one sitting, but I prefer some more romantic stories or dramas;).

Eva-T's picture
Eva-T 21 March, 2013 - 15:23

Yeah! I love Twilight and all the other books and movies! My favourite actor is Edwart Cullen!! I also like Bella! <3

RehinaParker's picture
RehinaParker 13 March, 2013 - 14:48

yeaf of course i am a crazy fan of twilight.... my favourite actor its TAYLOR LAUTNER... he is so handsome i just love him

dona cenja's picture
dona cenja 28 February, 2013 - 18:01

I Love twilight saga.Because it is a vampire movie and deals with a very beautiful story. Bela love with Edward even though he is a vampire she admits it. My favorite character is Edward.

pixie22's picture
pixie22 27 January, 2013 - 15:23

My favorite characters are Rosalie and Edward. I love Edwar dbecause he's....well, he's Edward and I love Rose because she's really pretty and I love it how she helps Bella in Breaking Dawn. She's amazing and so is Twilight!

Hanna's picture
Hanna 20 January, 2013 - 13:21

I`m not a Twilight fan. I watched a film, but I want to read the book. My favourite character is Edward. Jacob is very handsome too.

lady of night's picture
lady of night 27 October, 2012 - 14:19

i love TWILIGHTsaga!!!!Stephenie Meyer is a great writer. I have read all the books and I'm waiting for the last part of the movie to come out. My favorite character? Alice, of course.

LadyLily5000's picture
LadyLily5000 27 October, 2012 - 11:20

I love Twilight saga. Stephenie Meyer is a great writer. I have read all the books and I'm waiting for the last part of the movie to come out. My favorite character? Alice, of course.

Ciara Murray's picture
Ciara Murray 18 July, 2012 - 17:09

Hi Prettysunshine! What do you like about Alice Cullen? Did you know Edward and Bella are a couple in reality too?

Hi Melodyoo :) why do you like the first book? Do you think Stephenie Meyer will write more books for the series?

prettysunshine's picture
prettysunshine 6 July, 2012 - 10:32

My favorite character is Alice Cullen, and by that you can see that I'm Team Edward....I think him and Bella make a great couple and are so cute together!

Ciara Murray's picture
Ciara Murray 4 July, 2012 - 18:23

My favourite character is Jacob! In Britain, lots of girls wear tshirts that say "Team Edward" or "Team Jacob". Have you read all of the books?