Books

Why I like classic novels

EleanorC

I study English literature at university and have always been proud of Britain’s literary heritage. Some British authors that you may have heard of are Charles Dickens and Jane Austen. These writers are famous all over the world because their books have been translated into many different languages. In the UK, their novels are celebrated as some of the best that have ever been written. We say that these novels are ‘classic’ because they are still read and enjoyed years after their publication. However, some people don’t like reading these novels because they can be quite challenging. Sometimes when I’m reading a classic novel, my sister will frown and say ‘Are you reading that for fun?’

I read classic novels because they are part of my university syllabus but also because I enjoy them. They can teach you a lot about how people used to live and what society was like in the past. Novels like Hard Times by Charles Dickens remind us of the poverty in London during the Industrial Revolution while Jane Austen’s fiction shows us what family life was like in the 18th century. People who are interested in history or philosophy can read classic novels to find out how ideas have changed and how the world became what it is today.

Classic novels usually have memorable stories and interesting characters. One of my favourite books is Charles Dickens’ novel Great Expectations. It is about a boy called Pip who suddenly receives a lot of money from a mysterious patron. As he grows up, his character changes: he becomes quite selfish and mean. Another important character in the book is an old woman called Miss Havisham. When she was young, her fiancé ran away on their wedding day. She lives in a dark house and still wears her wedding dress. She is a fascinating character, both sad and scary.

I think that classic novels can be very satisfying but sometimes I feel like reading something lighter. I love the Harry Potter series and sometimes read ‘chick lit’: books that are like romantic comedies. In my opinion, it’s important to read lots of different kinds of literature and magazines, if possible in another language. So far, I have only read fashion magazines in Italian but soon I want to start reading classic novels by Italian authors. Wish me luck!

Do you like reading classic novels? Who are the most famous authors in your country?

Rahaf_ml's picture
Rahaf_ml 9 August, 2020 - 04:35

I like classic novels so much and i think reading classic novels it is important for many reasons: beside that it is so fun it helps us to understand ancient societies even though it is so different from our life now, it is reminds us of the fact that human being will never change, and that type of novels always stays for a really long time.

1 user has voted.
destiny's picture
destiny 24 March, 2020 - 12:45

Classic novels are too interesting, when you understand, why you read it. I like reading it, because I'm fond of the atmosphere, which books are filled. Moreover, some books can help to answer some questions.
My country has many famous authors as Chekhov, Tolstoy and others. Everyone gifts a piece of his soul and leaves his mark in history.

1 user has voted.
baroonmlk's picture
baroonmlk 24 March, 2017 - 16:45

classic novels are my favourites !! actually most of the enjoyable books I've ever read are classic ones :
pride and prejudice
jane eyre
daddy long legs
little women
Emma
in my opinion , these books will never be boring by the time passing away !!

Silvermist's picture
Silvermist 3 January, 2016 - 10:49

I love reading classics. Woman in white, Pride and Prejudice and Sense and sensibility are my favourites.

junzi0phan's picture
junzi0phan 12 November, 2015 - 03:44

I don't really like reading classic novels but I really love reading comic book .
Nam Cao
Ngo Tat To
To Hoai
Mac Can
Don Gioi
Nguyen Dinh Chinh
Pham Van Doan
Phan Tu
they are the most famous author in my country I think.

NATALYY's picture
NATALYY 8 June, 2015 - 21:11

I like reading books of Emily Bronte(+Anne and Charlotte:-))),Jane Austen,Adrian Conan Doyle...

Elsa007 18 May, 2015 - 07:50

I like classic novels. They make us expand our views. And, interestingly enough, we still can be sympathetic and empathtic to the characters' feelings in old times. Why? ... No matter how the society and ideas have changed, our center core, heart or mind may be not something that can be easily changed... They even inspires us a sense of unity across time and space!

hadia 15 May, 2015 - 08:44

I love reading classical novels.And mostly what you mentioned in the article I have read all of them I really like to read novel of classical literature!

Silvermist's picture
Silvermist 24 January, 2015 - 16:59

I love reading classics and everything. pride and prejudice , sense and sensibility and woman in white are some of my favorites.

AzulM's picture
AzulM 31 August, 2014 - 01:03

Yes, I like reading classic novels. I love read that literature because so I can see how lived the people, lots years ago. In the Argentina one of the most popular writers was Jorge Luis Borges.

Rio007's picture
Rio007 30 July, 2014 - 14:10

Classic novels are the best! I love reading Jane Austen novels, but the one that i adore is " Sense and Sensibility".

justcricketforme 16 February, 2014 - 04:36

I love reading classics. We have many famous writters like Ashfaq Ahmed, Bano Qudsia, Pitras Bukhari, Faiz Ahmed Faiz, Ahmed Faraz and many others.

FQRurbanova's picture
FQRurbanova 2 January, 2014 - 16:33

i like read different books ..............
and i want to be a oilwoker
I liked this text

Bosnianchild's picture
Bosnianchild 16 November, 2013 - 19:32

I love reading books, new books and classic novels. In Bosnia and Herzegovina, we have really good authors and every people must read some books. Ivo Andrić, I think, is the most popular author in my country, and on Balkan. He wrote many excellent books like: '' Na Drini čuprija'', ''Prokleta avlija'', ''Travnička hronika''. He is winner of the Nobel Prize of Literature, 1961.
Also one of the biggest writer is Meša Selimović. His the best novels are ''Tvrđava'' and ''Derviš i smrt''. He is big WRITER.

Natalija 28 October, 2013 - 20:53

I like reading classic novels, it's really a pleasantry. My favourite books're The Cather in The Rye, 1984, Pride and Prejudice, books by Virginia Woolf, Frankenstein etc. The most famous Serbian authors're Ivo Andric(he won the Nobel Prize),Isidora Bjelica, Matija Beckovic, Jovan Ducic, Jovan Jovanovic Zmaj, Momo Kapor, Danilo Kis, Milos Crnjanski... From these authors here, I like Milos Crnjanski and Ivo Andric best, because their books're so good and have a strong moral message. Milos Crnjanski also wrote some historical novels about Serbian history, and it was interesting for me, because I'm really into history, while Ivo Andric is the most respected Serbian author, and he is also famous for psychological books. And of course, I don't want to forget Bora Stankovic, one of the greatest symbols of Serbian literature.

LadyLily5000's picture
LadyLily5000 7 November, 2013 - 15:47

Well, you mentioned all the most famous writers of ex YU. So, everything that's left for me is to recommend books written by them, because the way they are writing is incredible and breathtaking. Actually, I'm also writing sometimes, and I get the inspiration in the work of Andric, Kis, Crnjanski and the one you have forgotten to add: Copic.
Also I have to mention the most famous writer in my land, and that is of course Petar II Petrovic Njegos. He has written the famous poem 'The Mountain Wreath'. Also there are Mesa Selimovic, Cedo Vukovic and Mihailo Lalic.

EleanorC's picture
EleanorC 27 October, 2013 - 20:03

I have just finished Anna Karenina, I loved it too. The story is excellent and the characters all seem so human: each one has their own particular flaw. Thanks for telling us about Ismail Kadare, it's really interesting to find out more about famous authors from around the world.

Harabeli Supersweet 22 October, 2013 - 18:12

I love classic novels. Classic literature is the best, because I'm so curious to know how life was before the internet. How did people solve problems or managed different situations without Google help, without TV and without phones. I have read "Pride and prejudice" by Jane Austen and it's one of the books I greatly admire. I like to compare actual life with the life of characters. And we can find wonderful role models in books. They can inspire us so much. "Anna Karenina" by Tolstoy is a masterpiece too. I never get bored reading that book. The most famous author in my country is Ismail Kadare. His books are translated in many foreign languages and he's been nominated several times for "Nobel" prize. I have read some of his books and I can say that I love his artistic style that can make attractive even a random story. I love to write poetries too. When I feel inspirated, I create and it makes me feel so good. Some of them are published in a National magazine.

Joanna's picture
Joanna 22 October, 2013 - 14:47

Jonathan... the process is not complicated at all. It's almost like an instinct, actually. I mostly write love novels. When I start writing a book, I lose myself in a world that cannot be explained. That is why I write a 200 page novel in two days, and there are probably months before I have the inspiration for a new creation. And one more thing... I am not a writer... it is said that the best author is the one who is ashamed to become a writer (something Friedrich Nietzsche said). And thanks for appreciating my work. :)

Joanna's picture
Joanna 21 October, 2013 - 20:11

Actually, I love reading anything that falls into my hands. I also write, so words make my universe! I find such novels as Eleanor mentioned fascinating, too, and I also believe that they will never dissolve in the midst of time. In my country there are many famouse authors and poets, but I personally love Mihai Eminescu, who is also our national poet. He is probably known by foreigners, too. He had a unique way of expressing his love, of transposing it into words. But, again, I love reading anything, because without literature, the world which one believes to be his universe is practically nothing.

Harabeli Supersweet 22 October, 2013 - 18:14

I would love to read your books, Joanna. Just keep writing and create a wonderful universe. I wish you a lot of success!

Joanna's picture
Joanna 23 October, 2013 - 17:10

Thank you very much, Harabeli. And be sure I will never stop writing. A true author can never do that. :) I also hope that you, just like others, will be able to read my books soon.

Jonathan - Coor... 22 October, 2013 - 04:12

Hi Joanna! It's great that you're a writer too. I wish I was that creative. Do you write fiction, or something else? How often do you write? When you sit down to write, do you lose yourself in the world of your story? 

Any other writers out there? What do you write?