Bringing back a little magic

6

Since 1997, the world has been gripped by the magical world of Harry Potter. After publishing her first book Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone, J.K. Rowling has continued to create a fantasy world for both adults and children alike. From the detailed backgrounds of the characters right down to the magical sweets and drinks they eat, Rowling has given us such a detailed description of this world that we could almost imagine ourselves living in it. When I was younger, I remember that on the night of a new book release, people would queue for hours outside the bookshops to ensure that when the shop opened in the morning they would be one of the first to buy a copy. The fact that people are still interested in Harry Potter today shows just how successful it has been.

This week, I went to see the newest Harry Potter spin-off Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them at the cinema. It follows the story of Newt Scamander as he arrives in New York City in 1926 with a briefcase full of magical creatures. He is trying to protect the creatures from the rest of the wizarding world, who think they are dangerous as they do not understand how to look after them. After meeting a “muggle” (a non-magical person), some of the creatures in Newt’s briefcase accidentally get released. The film follows their journey in trying to recapture the creatures whilst running from the American wizarding authority who want to capture them for bringing the illegal creatures into the country.

As someone who grew up reading the Harry Potter books and watching the films I loved getting another insight into the wizarding world. Fantasy is such a special genre as it allows you to get totally lost within the book or film and normally creates lots of different emotions. At times the film was happy, sad, a little confusing but also thrilling and exciting. With talks of a sequel I cannot wait to see what happens next to Newt and the other characters.

Have you seen the film? Are you a fan of the wizarding world of Harry Potter?

chadew_SBV's picture
chadew_SBV 8 December, 2016 - 14:50

Harry Potter is one of my favorite film character too..
I love those books and films very much..All the times when I watch these films,I wish if I also have that kind of magic wand and a magic broom.. Lol!!! ;) ; )
But I love it...!!!

Jackline0112's picture
Jackline0112 4 December, 2016 - 06:00

Yeah i have red the whole harry potter books. It was fantastic. I was get into the book. Very interesting. Then i watched all of harry potter series. It was cool but i prefer to the books. It contains all details of magical world \. If you have not read those books, I recommend to read all of them :) Enjoy

sanpai28's picture
sanpai28 2 December, 2016 - 10:36

I haven't seen that film but I've seen the trailer. It looks exciting. The main character is the actor from "The theory of everything" His acting is realistic and amazing. I watched most of Harrypotter series when I was younger but I like only the first two. I have never read the book. The book will give me better feeling that the film, I think.

hadia 30 November, 2016 - 13:16

Fantasy is indeed a special genre.
I've grown up watching the wizarding world of Harry Potter too. I have also read the book. Not only Harry Potter, but also other Fantasy books, that I have laid my eyes upon, attract me so much and for once, I really feel the urge to dwell in the imaginary world created by the writers. They are really fascinating. :D

Ran's picture
Ran 29 November, 2016 - 14:47

Yeah, I have been growing up reading the Harry Potter books and watching the films. I'm sure that many people feel the same to me when they read and watch Harry Potter. What's a magical and mysterious world! Maybe it's crazy but I wish to go to wizarding world and see Harry Potter or Hermione once, hahahaha :))