Can watching Netflix be productive?

71

We have all been there.

“Hey, have you watched The Walking Dead series?”
“No …”
“You need to watch it!”

Then, 1 week later, you haven’t had any human contact, you have watched all 7 seasons and your room is starting to smell a bit odd. 

The wonderful thing about Netflix is that you can change the language of practically every series or film you are watching. You can even change the language of the subtitles! A few months ago, I started watching my all-time favourite series, Friends, on Netflix in preparation for my year abroad in France. I am now currently working as a language assistant in the Poitou-Charentes region. The idioms and fast-paced phrases I picked up from Friends have honestly been a huge help. Also, I have noticed that students who watch their favourite Netflix series in English have a higher level of spoken English.

Why you should watch your favourite series in the language you are learning:

-          You get used to the sounds and different rhythms of the language.
-          You can pick up colloquial phrases and words that are repeated.
-          If you have already seen the episode or film, you already have an idea of the storyline. This will help you to learn new, specific vocabulary.
-          If you are already spending an evening watching TV, why not watch it in the language you are learning?

Tips for fellow Netflix lovers:

-          Relax! You don’t need to understand every single word. We work with context: use what is happening in the episode to work out what the word meant. I recommend letting the episode/film flow as it is likely the word will be repeated.
-          Find a film that you love. Then re-watch it in English (or the language you’re learning) and turn off the subtitles! This will help you concentrate on the pronunciation of words.
-          Watch something you enjoy, otherwise it will feel like homework. Remember that it will get easier the more you hear the language!

Now that both you and I are feeling a lot less guilty about our binge-watching weekends, I’m off to catch up on Orange Is the New Black

Have you tried to watch a film in another language before? Did you find your language skills improved?

SandroR12's picture
SandroR12 22 November, 2016 - 16:16

I think all the things you can do help you, but in excess it can affect you, because you can lose your time watching movies and series and lose opportunities of work or go out with your friends, I thought that watch ing Netflix like 2 or 3 hours can help you to relax but if you take that like addiction you can affect your life

kike020199's picture
kike020199 22 November, 2016 - 15:51

Yes, I have tried to watch movies in other languages and its really cool because its interesting to see that and I think that I improved my English skills because i think that I heard better and speak better. The problem for me is that I do not usually watch movies, cause I haven't enough time.

LeilaBlogger's picture
LeilaBlogger 25 November, 2016 - 11:32

Hi there! If you don't have enough time to watch a whole film, watching one episode of your favourite series might be helpful. This way, you are getting 30-60 minutes of English learning!

mms's picture
mms 22 November, 2016 - 15:49

I love watching series and horror movies, but I know its a really big mistake spend the whole day like that, this can be good too because you can learn more about the language that you are practicing.
My favorites series are
*The walking dead
*Gossip Girl
And horror movies:
*El orfanato
*Siniestro
*El conjuro

npadillag's picture
npadillag 22 November, 2016 - 15:47

I think it is important to listen to the pronunciation of other people, and watching Netflix in other language is a really good way to learn not just pronunciation, but also grammar because you can see the subtitles, but we also have to do other things and not get addicted to Netflix.

Bandit_Weekes's picture
Bandit_Weekes 22 November, 2016 - 15:47

In my opinion, Netflix is a good way to enjoy your favorite movies or series, and at the same time, you can learn different expressions in other languages. I watch my favorite movies in English, and my skills in this language has improved a lot. Even though I don't use Netflix, I think it's a useful program for learning other languages.

W19's picture
W19 22 November, 2016 - 15:45

I really like Netflix, it can help tou a lot but its not a certified course
I like netflix, i watch my favourite series like AHS

jha_12's picture
jha_12 22 November, 2016 - 15:44

Personally love Netflix, since I subscribe to it in less than a year ago, I couldn't stop watching series or movies by my own or with my family. My favorite series is "Marvel's Agents of Shield", I just watched the 3 seasons in 4 weeks, of course all in English to practice my listening skills! now I'm waiting to watch the 4th. Unfortunately my favorite movie "Interestelar" isn`t able in Netflix by the moment.
Anyway, Netflix is the best online platform to watch movies, and also is perfect to practice another languages like French, English and Spanish.

kdmm's picture
kdmm 22 November, 2016 - 15:43

Yeah, I think that watch films and series in another language it´s a great way for practice English or another idioms. Netflix is really a great tool where we can practice because you can learn differentens words, but also it´s a bad habit, because you can lost a lot time, when you try to do both things at the same time.

dylanstyles's picture
dylanstyles 22 November, 2016 - 15:40

Yes, I watch Netflix almost every weekend, or whenever I can. I'd say I'm addicted, but it's not that I can't stop watching movies or series. I enjoy watching scifi films or romantic comedies, they're my favourite. About the series, I like to see American Horror Story, The Walking Dead, Breaking Bad, Reign, Pretty Little Liars, Teen Wolf, etc. I've only tried to watch films in english very few times, but I think I'll start to do it more often. My english is not bad, but I'm sure I will improve it if i start watching movies in english.

LeilaBlogger's picture
LeilaBlogger 25 November, 2016 - 13:29

Hello! It's good to hear that you've been watching your favourite series in English and I definitely think your English will improve even more if you start to watch films you love in English. Although this can be a bit difficult at first, it's always good to start by watching a film you already know very well. :)

AHS88's picture
AHS88 22 November, 2016 - 15:38

I love watching films and series in Netflix, it is very useful for learning more about one lenguage because most of the series are in english, but you can also put it on any lenguage, so using Netflix is not only seeing a movie or something, it is also hearing and learning more about a lenguage in a diferent way and more entretaining, I love Breaking Bad and Prision Break, they are both very good series.

shdez_8's picture
shdez_8 22 November, 2016 - 15:36

I agree with you, because it an easy an funny way to practice any language. Watching movies or series in Netflix in different languages is better, because the more you practice, the better you become understanding and speaking it.

vasj06's picture
vasj06 22 November, 2016 - 15:36

Yes I think the same about whatch Tv Series in Netflix, i think this because I had watched a tv serie called white collar and I learned a lot of new vocabulary, but also I think that we need other things than just watching series.

vaniairaset's picture
vaniairaset 22 November, 2016 - 15:35

I think that it's a good app to practice your English, like speaking and listening. And when you hear your TV series you also are learning, it’s amazing to do something you enjoy and teaches at the same time.
In my opinion its great but sometimes you can have lost time because you can’t stop watch it.

DiegoRuesga's picture
DiegoRuesga 22 November, 2016 - 15:34

In my opinion i think watchING netflix is some exciting but if you stay a long time there you can become useless.
I love to watch netflix because i get a good time and relax about all, but sometimes i like too much some serie that i can finish it very fast.

pan396's picture
pan396 22 November, 2016 - 15:34

I also have tried to watch films in English but sometimes I get stressed because I don´t understand what is happening. I don´t know if we have to try and try until we understand very well. If someone know how I can learn more watching movies or any advice... tell me.

LeilaBlogger's picture
LeilaBlogger 25 November, 2016 - 11:30

Hi! Maybe you could watch the film in your native language first and then re-watch it in English. This way, as you already understand the plot of the film you can start to match the English vocabulary to what is going on in the film. 

castelan's picture
castelan 22 November, 2016 - 15:32

I agree with this text because you can learn easier the new languague, because is most interesting to watch a movie or serie that you like and the advantage of Netflix is that you can repeat any time that you like, but i think is disgusting to stay in your room all the time, in my opinion i like to see the movies in green areas.

jd2_14's picture
jd2_14 22 November, 2016 - 15:31

In my own opinion, watching Netflix can be a good way of learning a new language, but it can also be a way of just wasting time, it all depends on how you use your time.
Personally speaking I watch Netflix all the time and it really helps me to learn new words.

LARR's picture
LARR 22 November, 2016 - 15:29

Yes, I have tried to watch movies in other languages and I think that I improved my English skills. The problem for me is that I do not usually watch movies, cause I haven't enough time.

_de_go's picture
_de_go 22 November, 2016 - 15:28

I think it is a really good idea watchong your favourite series or movies in languages you are learning because that way you learn new word and hearing the characters talk will help ypu with your pronunciation maybe. I´ve watched movies in English and I really like it, at first it is a little bit difficult but then you get used to and you start practicing a lot. For me its better watch it with no subtitles beacuase I think thats a way to cheat so I prefer listening

LeilaBlogger's picture
LeilaBlogger 25 November, 2016 - 12:46

Hi there! I definitely agree with you that by listening to the actors you can replicate their accents. Practice makes perfect of course. Good luck with more series-watching in English! :)

DavidAZ9's picture
DavidAZ9 22 November, 2016 - 15:27

I think netflix is a good way to have fun for a while and have a good time, I usually watch series and some movies, the series I frequent are about superheroes.

JuliaChB's picture
JuliaChB 22 November, 2016 - 15:26

Yes, when I was watching Harry Potter movies, I watched them all in English, and it wasn't that hard because I already had read the books, so I knew what they were talking about, so I just have to pay attention to specific words that there are invented. Besides, I like to hear the original voices in the movies.

AALTAMIRANO's picture
AALTAMIRANO 22 November, 2016 - 15:22

I think Netflix is good because you can learn a lot of things ,also it not a very good idea because you don't do exercise because you are watching a movie

JamesBond69's picture
JamesBond69 22 November, 2016 - 14:46

I think that series in english are better because they have their original sound and that is amazing, I usually watch them in English as they're in Japanese and I can't understand that. So yeah. It has really helped me in my listening and speaking(English) skills so far. And I really find it productive. It's really easy to understand and much more interesting to watch. I never switch o

LeilaBlogger's picture
LeilaBlogger 25 November, 2016 - 13:16

I'm really glad to hear that watching different series in English has helped to improve your speaking and listening skills. It's nice to watch something you love whilst also learning at the same time ! 

JamesBond69's picture
JamesBond69 22 November, 2016 - 14:45

Well, it depends, I mean, if you are not a natural english speaker, watching series in english helps you a lot. Then, if you watch interesting things, you can learn a lot.

Buleberry12's picture
Buleberry12 22 November, 2016 - 14:44

I think is useful to watch series on netflix because that help you a lot to learn a new language! And you can distract your self and have some fun time. But you need to control watch series because this maybe affect you in your life. :)

Ivan_hdez28's picture
Ivan_hdez28 22 November, 2016 - 14:43

I think it is useful to see Netflix, sometimes I am so bored or so stressed but I see my favourites series and movies and I forget everything and that makes me feel good, I'm a big fan of How I Met Your Mother, I think is the best TV show ever.

AndyG's picture
AndyG 22 November, 2016 - 14:42

i like to see the movies in english because, really helps me to improve mi pronunciation in english .and also because , the voice that sometimes put in spanish is horrible, and i love to see Netflix because they have all the series i like starting whit the vampire diaries i love that serie, and also i like to se pretty little liars

CristiC's picture
CristiC 22 November, 2016 - 14:41

Of course i try to watch films in english, for example my favorite serie is Pretty little liars and i like more to watch in englis that in spanish, I like more the original voices, and some movies sounds better in english, but when I put this movies I dont like to put subtitles, this are stressed for me, so I only listen the movie, there are parts that i really dont understand, so this parts I put over again, and sometimes only for that scene I put in spanish.

LeilaBlogger's picture
LeilaBlogger 25 November, 2016 - 12:28

I abosultely love Pretty Little Liars! It is definitely a good idea to replay parts of the episode you don't quite understand. Also, after you watch the scene in Spanish, you can re-watch it in English so you can have a better understanding of the vocabulary. Good luck ! :) 

JesusC10's picture
JesusC10 22 November, 2016 - 14:38

I think that Netlifx could be very useful because with this type of activities you can practice another languages watching movies or series. Also if you are bored or you don't know what to do you can distract yourself with this

aranaa's picture
aranaa 22 November, 2016 - 14:38

Yes, I've tried watching films in English and without subtitles at first it was a little bit difficult but now it is easy, if you keep practising you start learning more and more, so it is very useful to watch films without subtitles and in the original language.

Sara0204's picture
Sara0204 22 November, 2016 - 14:38

I think it is good watch Netflix, maybe you can try to watch the movie in a new language but could be a bad idea because you need to have a good level to understand, this can improve your lenguaje skills

FerCabRom's picture
FerCabRom 22 November, 2016 - 14:37

In my opinion this way to learn a new language is the easier because you are learning new vocabulary while you're having a good time. When you see a serie in other language you put your mind in order to put attention and understand the episode.

MartinJM4's picture
MartinJM4 22 November, 2016 - 14:35

In my opinion I think that it´s a good idea to see the series in the lenguage you are lerning because it would be one tool to improve your knowledge and in the same time your like passing a good time relaxing with your movie or your series. I would start to see the movies in English to improve my skills.

A01731019's picture
A01731019 22 November, 2016 - 14:34

Use this source of entertainment like a tool for learn a different language is a good way to make it fun and not boring, adding subtitules could be a great machine because unil you are listening the words and how do they speack you could read and understand what they are talking about

Jazmin's picture
Jazmin 22 November, 2016 - 14:33

I believe that watching Netflix is a good way to learn English, for example. We starting watching films in English a few years ago and I think it is very useful because you learn new words and phrases.

LeilaBlogger's picture
LeilaBlogger 25 November, 2016 - 13:02

Hey Jazmin! It's so great to hear that you've been watching films in English. It's a brilliant way to pick up colloquial phrases and idioms that you don't normally learn in the classroom. 

FerC's picture
FerC 22 November, 2016 - 14:29

In my opinion I think that watch netflix it's a good idea for be relaxed and spend time with your family watching different types of movies, but I think this could be a good idea because make us practice english and at the same time this help us to learn different things.

LeilaBlogger's picture
LeilaBlogger 25 November, 2016 - 11:22

I totally agree. It's about finding a balance. Maybe after watching an episode in English you could then use the English you've learnt and speak with your friends!

Sean22's picture
Sean22 22 November, 2016 - 15:27

As long as I know, this website is very simple to use and creative and innovate for teens. You can do almost everything, I'm glad I got the chance to use this website and work to improve my english.

Stark98's picture
Stark98 17 November, 2016 - 16:33

I think it is useful to watch films without subtitles but you have to be patient because you might not understand at the beginning, you have to keep doing this, so you can get used to it.
One of my favorite series is Avatar, the story is very interesting and everyone can enjoy it because is a cartoon. I prefer series and movies with british actors because I understand more the british accent.

Mena2's picture
Mena2 17 November, 2016 - 16:33

I think is a good idea to see series in Netflix to practice the language that you like but I think that is important to put subtitle to understand better and if you believe that you got more vocabulary, remove the subtitles.