Christmas movies

6
ReganS

One of my absolute favourite things about this time of year is watching Christmas movies. There is nothing better than enjoying a mince pie or other seasonal snack, a mug of hot chocolate and watching a feel-good, festive film. Here are a few of my favourites.

The Family Stone is the story of a business man, Everett Stone, who takes his shy and uptight girlfriend, Meredith, home for Christmas to meet his dysfunctional family. Needless to say, things do not go smoothly! Meredith fails to bond with the family and a series of comedic episodes ensue. This is a really heart-warming film about a loving family reuniting to celebrate Christmas. Be warned though, if you are anything like me you will probably end up shedding a few tears!

The Holiday is a romantic comedy about two women, both unlucky in love. They decide to escape their troubles by swapping houses for the holidays. Iris ends up in a mansion in sunny Los Angeles whilst Amanda finds herself in a tiny cottage in the middle of the English countryside. Needless to say, they do not get the peace they had both wanted, with Amanda falling for Iris's brother and Iris falling for Amanda's colleague!

The Muppet's Christmas Carol is a musical adaptation of the Charles Dickens's novel, starring Michael Caine and the Muppets. Scrooge, is a cold-hearted man who does not believe in the magic of Christmas. On Christmas Eve he is visited by three ghosts, encouraging him to see the error of his ways. This is a very entertaining film with a whole host of catchy songs.

The Santa Clause is a Disney film about Scott, an average guy who is spending Christmas Eve with his son, Charlie. However, after accidentally causing the death of Father Christmas, Scott must become the new Santa! Unfortunately, not everyone believes that Scott is Santa Claus, which leads to problems. The film is partly set in the North Pole, which is fun, colourful and features a range of interesting characters who must help Scott.

The Snowman is a short animation about a boy who's snowman comes to life! Together they fly across the world to a party at the North Pole. The artwork is very impressive, however, for me, the music is the most special part of the film. It is a very moving short-film, unfortunately without such a feel-good ending.

Do you have a favourite Christmas film?

Hanna's picture
Hanna 19 November, 2013 - 16:10

Home Alone is movie for whole family to watch on Christmas. It's funny and really lovely) Also I like White Christmas. It's comedy with many songs and dances. I recomend it to everyone)

Natalija 9 November, 2013 - 14:46

I agree with Harabeli and my favourite Christmas film is Home alone 2, I really like it. I watched some other Christmas films, but I can't remember any that left impression on me.

Harabeli Supersweet 8 November, 2013 - 14:46

"Home alone 2-Lost in New York" is my favourite Christmas movie ever. I watch it even during the summertime, because it's so funny and it brings such a warm atmosphere. I love that movie!