The Edinburgh Festival

8
IainG

Edinburgh is a fantastic city for tourists. There are so many things to do here for people of all ages. During the month of August, however, the number of tourists increases dramatically because this is when everybody comes to enjoy the Edinburgh Festival.

The Edinburgh Festival is an amazing time to visit the city. For around four weeks, the city hosts an enormous arts and culture festival. Artists and performers come from all over the world to showcase their talents. There are shows for children, young people, and adults. There are shows for people of all tastes: dance shows, music concerts, photography and art exhibitions, stand-up comedy, sketch shows, plays and more.

Whatever you like you are bound to find something to see, and at whatever time of day that you want: the first shows start at 9 a.m., and the last finish at around 2 a.m. Some shows at the festival can be a little expensive but many are very cheap, and lots are completely free.

For those who cannot decide what to see, there are plenty of shows on the Royal Mile, Edinburgh’s main street for tourists. There are always comedians, singers, actors and musicians offering free shows to entertain the (very large) crowds and, again, it’s free of charge.

The Edinburgh Festival attracts many tourists from all over the world, and you can meet many fascinating people in Edinburgh in August. It also attracts many performers from the UK and abroad.

For many people, the Edinburgh Festival can be the start of their career as professional actors and comedians. For example, actors Rowan Atkinson (most well-known for playing Mr Bean) and Hugh Laurie (now famous for his role as cranky, television character Dr House) both began their careers at the Edinburgh Festival.

As you can probably imagine, Edinburgh is very busy during the festival and sometimes it can feel like there are too many people. Fortunately, Scotland is not very big and you can leave Edinburgh and, after just an hour or so on the bus or train, you arrive at the calm and peaceful countryside. It is the perfect place to relax away from the hustle and bustle of the festival.

Edinburgh is a fantastic and fun city to visit all year round but, if you ever have the opportunity to visit, the city is at its best in August.

Are there similar big festivals in your country? 

smile12's picture
smile12 8 October, 2014 - 19:03

In my country are similar festivals like in Scotland. Maybe not so big, but attract a lot of vositors.
During the three day, one of the biggest city in Romania is turn into veritabil medieval market. There are shows for all categories of ages.
This festival is an event that celebrate our history. The festival starts every year with a medieval characters parade. The festival program is variated, but asked at all public needs: LIVE concerts, dance shows, street fightings, handicraft exhibitions.

cklj's picture
cklj 7 September, 2014 - 19:58

We have similar festivals. For example there is one called "Pivo Fest" and lasts about 4 days. "Pivo Fest" is festival where people can enjoy good music, drink beer and eat. There are performers from the Balkan peninsula. This festival occurs in different time of the year in 3 different cities: Skopje, Bitola and Ohrid, but it all started at Bitola and the "Bitola Pivo Fest" is most well-known.

Silvermist's picture
Silvermist 3 September, 2014 - 16:36

Yes we do have quite a few festivals here in Sri Lanka though not grand as Edinburgh festival.
A most prominent festival seen during the beginning of the month of august is the Kandy Esala Perahara (it's a procession based on religion)
This historical procession (perahera) is held annually to pay homage to the Sacred Tooth Relic of Lord Buddha.The procession consists of many traditional local dances.

bookwormgirl25's picture
bookwormgirl25 27 August, 2014 - 16:54

We have similar festivals as Edinburgh Festival. Such as Istanbul International Mystic Art Festival. It starts on 12th of February and it ends on 16th on February. There ar shows as: Art exhibitions, cinema, plays and concerts.

Niluh 13 August, 2014 - 12:57

No, we don't have any fascinating festivals like in Edinburgh, i wish my city would have many attracting festivals soon.