Film culture

34
GraceL

A couple of friends and I, spontaneously decided that we would go to Berlin this weekend to attend the Berlinale, an international film festival. It has been recorded to be the most publically attended film festival in the world, with around 300,000 tickets being sold and up to 400 films being shown each year. There are also several film competitions and awards are given to the best films. Possibly the most highly anticipated film this year is The Grand Budapest hotel, directed by Wes Anderson, a very famous and popular director. We tried to get tickets for this but they had completely sold out within minutes of them being put on sale!

Cinema has always been a huge part of culture in many countries. I love going to the cinema and buying a ticket for a film I have never heard of. I feel that you can often be pleasantly surprised. I am a real fan of world cinema, so the Berlinale is perfect for me with films coming from all over the world. I like watching films in a language I don’t speak and just following the plot from the movements and expressions of the actors in the film. It’s also nice, of course, to be able to understand the language too.

We have bought tickets for lots of different films, some of which we already know something about and some that are completely new to us. We are really excited, not just to be in the German capital but also to be attending an event that many famous celebrities attend! Maybe we will spot some! 

Are you a cinema fan? What kinds of films do you like? Do you ever watch films in a foreign language?

Muslimgirl65's picture
Muslimgirl65 9 February, 2016 - 20:57

I like cinema but i am not a fan.I like sci-fi, historical drama and moving films and i like film in a foreign language.

IloveallinConan's picture
IloveallinConan 19 March, 2015 - 22:44

I like to watch movies at home and my favorite movie is of the Disney animated film. I occasionally watch movies in foreign languages, namely English.

Milanica_96's picture
Milanica_96 29 August, 2014 - 17:13

I prefer watching films at home. I like watching romantic and comedy films. Also I watch films in a foregin language.

YAS's picture
YAS 30 May, 2014 - 18:40

I am big cinema fan, but at home i prefer to watch the old films i feel like i have tarveled through the time.
It really an enjoyable thing. :))

GraceL's picture
GraceL 30 March, 2014 - 16:58

Hi joong! Me too, sometimes it's nice to sit in peace and quiet and watch a film at home. What kinds of films do you like?

GraceL's picture
GraceL 6 March, 2014 - 20:10

Hey Safura98, thanks for you comment. Do you ever watch religious films in a foreign language?

eyagelakos's picture
eyagelakos 26 February, 2014 - 14:02

I like movies, but I have go sometimes at the cinema. But I download HD movies for the pc and i see, it's very nice too :) .

GraceL's picture
GraceL 6 March, 2014 - 20:08

Hey eyagelakos! I also sometimes go to the cinema but mainly watch films at home where I can relax and have subtitles if I want to. I like to rent films from my local library

misscurious's picture
misscurious 21 February, 2014 - 17:54

Hi everyone! I really love watching films! I usually prefer adventure, mystery, comedy and drama films. I think watching films makes people to think and it is the easiest way to teach something.
Actually, I sholuld say, I haven't watched any films in English; I just watched The Life of Pi in English with subtitle. And also this film is my favourite film!

GraceL's picture
GraceL 24 February, 2014 - 15:20

It sounds like you like a real variety of genres. I agree, it is a great way to learn and it's fun too! 

Natalija 19 February, 2014 - 11:48

I'm not a cinema fan, I prefer watching films at home. I adore going to theater though. I like romantic films, thriller and films about science. I like watching films in foreign language, it's such a good practice.

GraceL's picture
GraceL 20 February, 2014 - 06:49

I agree, it is good practice! Do you watch films in English? I like going to the theatre too. I think it is a whole different experience to be able to see the actors directly in front of you. It's like you are a part of the story!

dzeni 18 February, 2014 - 15:45

I am not a cinema fan. I prefer watching films at home, online or on TV. I like watching comedy and romantic films. I often watch films in a foreign language because it is a good way to learn that language.

cklj's picture
cklj 10 February, 2014 - 10:26

I don't go to the cinema very often, because it's easier for me to watch films online in my home. I like fantasy, drama, comedy and films with a lots of music, but I never watch horror films. I always watch films in a foreign language (english), sometimes with translation sometimes without.

GraceL's picture
GraceL 20 February, 2014 - 06:54

Hey cklj! You have made a good point there! I do the same; sometimes watch a film in a foreign language with subtitiles, and sometimes without. I think it is great practice when learning a new language as when there are subtitles you tend to focus on them and read them rather than understand what is being said. It is good to practice with subtitles and without :)

Niluh 8 February, 2014 - 08:07

I am not addicted to going to the cinema, i prefer watching films on DVD or TV. I love all kinds of films, but i love animated films at the most. Animated films is fun to watch and everyone can enjoy them together, i constantly watch them with my sisters after school or on holiday when it's playing on television.
Yes, of course. I have watched some films in English, it's good way to improve my listening skill even though it's a bit hard to understand, i need to look at the subtitles as well.

GraceL's picture
GraceL 20 February, 2014 - 06:55

That's really interesting! I like animated films too! I think it's great that you watch films in English and I'm sure it is helping you learn even though it can be hard sometimes

serap's picture
serap 7 February, 2014 - 16:51

I am not a cinema fan, but I really like watching movies. I like especially romance and drama movies. And I usually watch movies in Eglish with Turkish subtitles. That's really cool.

GraceL's picture
GraceL 20 February, 2014 - 06:57

Hey serap! I think it's great that you watch films in English. When you have Turkish subtitles do you still learn some English? Have you tried watching a film with English subtitles?

ellen's picture
ellen 7 February, 2014 - 15:44

İ am not cinema fan.
I dont watch often. But, i like horror films and criminal films.I watching sometimes
I watch many films English language.
I'm looking to improve their English language.

GraceL's picture
GraceL 20 February, 2014 - 06:58

It'S good practice for you to watch film in English. I'm sure it will help you improve your English :)

GraceL's picture
GraceL 20 February, 2014 - 06:59

What a great film! It's really good that you watch films in English. I like to watch German films and it has really helped my German :)