Wednesday, 8 November, 2017 - 14:14

Film review – Spider-Man: Homecoming

by AdamBlogger2017

The Marvel Cinematic Universe (MCU) has released some great films and some terrible ones throughout its current run. Despite the high praise this latest Spider-Man film has received, I have to say this one was really just OK.

There has been great success in the MCU recently with films like Guardians of the Galaxy and Doctor Strange allowing the studio to have some fun with its characters. This is exactly how you would want a film about young Spider-Man to be done but unfortunately it just misses the mark.

The film itself is not a bad one at all; it’s just that with all of the excitement of the character returning to Marvel after two failed attempts at Sony, we expected a lot more. The film does well to show the Peter Parker as your more-than-average high-school kid who juggles the difficulties of being a teenager and a masked superhero in the classic Peter Parker way: poorly. However, it takes more than a good character to make a good film.

On that note, I have to agree with the many people praising Tom Holland’s portrayal of the title character. He does an incredible job but, for me, the first and only Peter Parker will be Tobey Maguire. As a young comic book fan, seeing Spidey on the big screen for the first time will always be a highlight of my childhood.

Back to the plot: it’s a mix of high-school drama and blockbuster action and both work very well independently. But having Iron Man show up to get Spidey out of a jam whenever he needs it takes away from what our hero really is: a kid figuring out what it means to be a hero. That said, the film finishes well, with Peter finally realising that he has to do what is right, even if it means risking his life, if he wants to become a true hero.

Overall, the film is not terrible, despite this slightly critical review. It’s actually very enjoyable. But, unfortunately, it suffers from the now-stale Marvel film formula. As it stands, I have to give it a 7.5/10.

Have you seen the film? What do you think about the Marvel Cinematic Universe?

Submitted by Tolis5 on Wed, 07/21/2021 - 10:10

I haven't seen it yet,but it sounds good!!

Submitted by PAYBACK on Tue, 05/08/2018 - 11:00

Yes, I went to the cinema with my family to go see it and we talked all about the movie on our way home. I'm totally in love with most of the Marvel movies, but sadly I still haven't seen all of them...
English courses near you