Going to the cinema in another country

30
TeresaC

Last weekend, I went on a trip to Sete, a small seaside town in the south of France. I went with a French friend, and I stayed with her family who lives there. It is such a beautiful town - despite the fact that we’re now in the coldest part of winter, the sky was blue and the sun was shining. If it was any warmer, you’d have thought it was summer!

Whilst we were in Sete, we went to the cinema. I love going to the cinema at home in England, but I’ve been in France for three months now and this was the first time I’d been to the cinema! I was a little nervous in case I didn’t understand the film. It was a very small cinema - there were just three small screen rooms - nothing like the large multiplexes I am used to back in England! We chose to watch the latest Disney movie because the storyline is easy to follow. In French, the film is called ‘La Reine des Neiges’ - in England it’s called ‘Frozen’. It’s a great story about a princess who has the power to turn anything she touches into ice and snow. She becomes queen, but accidentally uses her power to turn her kingdom into an eternal winter. She runs away, and her sister searches for her. I won’t spoil the ending by telling you any more!

I was surprised to find that I understood nearly everything! I easily followed the story, but I found it a little difficult to understand every word of the songs - but I understood the feelings and story behind them, so it wasn’t too difficult. I would definitely recommend watching a film at the cinema in a foreign language because it shows you just how well you know the language! I had no reason to be nervous, and I think I will now regularly go to my local cinema back in my French town!

Do you like going to the cinema? Have you ever watched a film in another language?

youaretheonlyone29's picture
youaretheonlyone29 3 May, 2016 - 10:46

I have watched Frozen :) It is a great animated film.
I love going to cinema with popcorn and drink =))
You guys should watch "The fault in our stars" now!! IT IS AMAZING ;))

Muslimgirl65's picture
Muslimgirl65 9 February, 2016 - 20:20

yes i like going to the cinema but i prefer watching film in my home so i go to cinema rarely

MALINE 16 August, 2014 - 23:01

I love watching movies specially comedy and I also like watching series my favorites are The big Bang Theory and two broke girls.

dzeni 22 February, 2014 - 10:07

I like going to the cinema. I watched film in foreign language many times. I like them, specially American films.

Eljan's picture
Eljan 26 January, 2014 - 19:14

The Azerbaijani film "Arshin Mal Alan" one of the most popular film. This film trip more than 60 countries.
Composer: Uzeyir Hajibeyli

Eljan's picture
Eljan 26 January, 2014 - 19:03

I like go to the cinema. But i can't go to the cinema. Because there're not cinema in our city (Mingachevir).

RAGSANA99's picture
RAGSANA99 11 January, 2014 - 15:52

I lke to go to the cinema. There is a great cinema named after Nizami Genjavi in our city. Sometimes we go there to watch foreign films.

Natalija 22 December, 2013 - 09:29

I don't go to cinema very often because I prefer watching films at home and it's more comfortable. I have watched films in almost any languages, it appeals to me. I like English and American films, French films, Turkish films, Indian films, Spanish films, Italian films, Russian films etc.
I don't watch Serbian films very often because we don't have much money to produce films, and thematic of our films is usually Yugoslavia, war and stuff like that, and these films're usually horrors or thrillers and I don't like that. But we have great actors and there are some really good films I like.

justcricketforme 20 December, 2013 - 04:32

I went to the cenima along with my mates last week after our exams. We watched Hotel Transylvania. It was very relaxing watching it after exams. At home I've got a huge screen so it's no different than a cenima.

Molnomore's picture
Molnomore 18 December, 2013 - 13:40

I am really busy with my study nowadays, which made me miss the chance to watch THE HUNGER GAMES:CATCHING FIRE. I am so regretful because the feeling of watching films in the cinema is totally different from that in front of the tiny screen back home.

TeresaC's picture
TeresaC 18 December, 2013 - 15:53

Hi Molnomore! That's a shame - I saw the first Hunger Games movie but I haven't seen the second one either! I agree that watching films in the cinema is a fantastic experience, and I love to get popcorn at the cinema too! What is your favourite film? 

Niluh 17 December, 2013 - 16:23

I love watching films, despite i rarely go to the cinema. I went to the cinema once, that was when i was child. I don't really like going to the cinema, it wastes my money just for watching one film, i prefer watching films on DVD or TV.
Yes, usually i watch English films and my favourite is animation film.

TeresaC's picture
TeresaC 18 December, 2013 - 15:51

Hi Niluh! It's true that the cinema can be expensive, and you can get some very cheap DVDs! I like watching films on DVD because you can pause them to get a snack or re-watch parts that you don't understand! Which English films have you seen?

Niluh 20 December, 2013 - 11:19

Hi Teresa! I have seen lots of English films, i just watched The fast and furious last week on TV and i watched one of Sandra Bullock's films Speed last night. My favourite English films is Titanic, i have seen many times and i never feel boring watching it.

serap's picture
serap 16 December, 2013 - 21:20

I have gone to the cinema once. I rarely go to the cinema but is is nice. My native language is Turkish so I sometimes watch movies in English. And I have watched a film in French once.

serap's picture
serap 17 December, 2013 - 15:37

I cannot remember all of them, but I can say some for example 'Forrest Gump, Leon: The Professional, Rapunzel'. And I enjoy while watching them! What about you?

TeresaC's picture
TeresaC 17 December, 2013 - 18:17

Forrest Gump is one of my favourite movies! I first watched it many years ago with my family and I absolutely love it! What did you think of it - did you like it as much as me? I've recently been watching Christmas films such as Love Actually and The Holiday - they are very popular in England. 

serap's picture
serap 18 December, 2013 - 14:55

I loved Furrest Gump so much! It was really impressive. And I've wathed The Holiday, as well. What kind of movies do you like to watch?

TeresaC's picture
TeresaC 19 December, 2013 - 08:58

Did you like The Holiday? I like animated movies like Shrek because they always make me laugh! I also like romance films like 500 Days of Summer. I really don't like horror films like Saw! What kind of movies do you like to watch? 

serap's picture
serap 19 December, 2013 - 15:06

I liked The Holiday. I also watch animated movies like Rapunzel, Up, Shrek, Toy Story, etc. I love animated movies a lot! They make me feel better. I like romance films, as well. For example, Sweet November, Titanik, A Walk To Remember. The best is A Walk The Remember! And I do not really like horror films at all! I like to watch romance and animated movies in general. What is the best romance movie you like?