Happily Ever After

133
JohnM

“Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs”, “Cinderella” and “The Little Mermaid” are stories we all know and love. They are ‘fairy tales’: stories that were written a long time ago, the stories parents read to their children at night, the ones about magic, adventure and possibility, of enchanted forests and talking animals, fairy godmothers and glass slippers, evil queens and poisoned apples…

Fairy tales are stories that we never forget. But it’s fair to say that many of us only know our fairy tales because we have seen the films by Walt Disney – films I admit I used to watch all the time. However, the truth is that the Disney films (and the stories we read as children) are very different from the original tales written a long time ago – tales that were not actually written for children.

For example, did you know that in “Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs”, the Queen goes to Snow White’s wedding and is forced to wear a pair of burning shoes and dance until she dies? Or that in “Cinderella”, the stepmother gets one of her daughters to cut off her own heel and her other daughter to cut off a toe, so they can fit their feet into Cinderella’s lost slipper? And did you know that in “The Little Mermaid”, the mermaid actually dies, after the boy she loves marries someone else?

No true love’s kiss, no fairy godmother, no happily ever after – the original fairy tales are dark and depressing.

Today, fairy tale retellings are very popular and have become a new trend in our literature and culture. For example, author Jackson Pearce has a series of retellings: her book ‘Sisters Red’ (2010) is based on “Little Red Riding Hood” and ‘Sweetly’ (2011) is based on “Hansel and Gretel”. The third book of the series, ‘Fathomless’, is based on the story of “The Little Mermaid” and comes out later this year. Pearce’s books are set in our world and add an interesting twist to the classic tales.

With this trend, fairy tales are on the television too. For example, in the new programme ‘Once Upon a Time’, all our favourite characters are trapped in our world after the Queen from “Snow White” casts an evil spell over the fairy-tale kingdom. The programme combines the magic and fun elements of the Disney films with the darkness of the original stories. ‘Once Upon a Time’ has been so popular that it will continue for a second series.

Fairy tale retellings also come in film versions. In fact, two adaptations of “Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs” have come out this year: ‘Mirror Mirror’ and ‘Snow White and the Huntsman’. But the two films are very different from each other. ‘Mirror Mirror’ is a comedy that everyone can enjoy, while ‘Snow White and the Huntsman’ is “no fairy tale” but a dark film full of violence and suspense.

It seems that today’s adaptations are getting darker and darker; therefore, unlike the Disney films, modern fairy tale stories are returning to the themes and styles of the original versions – the true stories.

Fairy tales are timeless. And even after all these years, we’re still seeing new versions of the classic stories. For children, fairy tales offer an escape from the modern world to a place of magic and adventure. For adults, fairy tales are the stories they grew up with, the stories they remember as children. So, it’s interesting for them to see again the characters they know and love, but with new twists and new worlds – and new stories.

In general, the fairy tale trend is very popular. Therefore, the retellings and adaptations in books and films give us all a chance to relive the favourite stories of our childhood. Happily ever after.

What was your favourite fairy tale when you were little?

justcricketforme 23 October, 2013 - 13:21

I liked Alladin and Ali Baba and the Forty theives, our triditional stories which my granddad told me.

saba's picture
saba 22 October, 2013 - 18:48

hi lavender sorry i replied so late i was snowed under with school i hate it!!!!!
r u really 17?! u look much younger!
i miss watching those tv shows i know it might sound silly but i was in love with our tv i used to spend 24 hours a day with it but now i barely have time to watch anything!
how much do u watch tv?
love u!!cu!!!

Harabeli Supersweet 20 September, 2013 - 14:10

"Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs" and "Cinderella" were my favourites. I have read the original versions too. But now I judge that some old fairytales are not so educative for the time that we're living. Life has changed a lot and we should tell different stories to our children. Anyway, most of the classic faitytales are wonderful.

saba's picture
saba 14 September, 2013 - 08:17

dear lavender i remember a seireis in disney chanel that was about the jonas brothers what about that does it still show it?

Lavender 17 October, 2013 - 07:42

It's a pity Saba they don't show it anymore. Jonas bothers all grow up but Disney still haven't found good actors to replace them.

saba's picture
saba 12 September, 2013 - 10:31

no i don't really like iran because there is no freedom in this country but mabey that's because i'm used to living in australia which is a free country and it is much more beutiful than Iran

ellen's picture
ellen 10 September, 2013 - 15:27

Yes, i like iran.
i have been to Iran.
it is very nice country.
i havebeen Astara and Ardabil citis.
It is really amazing.
you are very lucky, couse you live in Iran counrty.
Do you like living in iran ?
C.U

saba's picture
saba 2 October, 2013 - 13:00

hi ellen do u really like iran?!!!
i hate iran but mabey that's because i've lived in australia and i'm comparing it with iran.......
any way how's school? i have a busy year!!!!
love u c u bye

ellen's picture
ellen 8 October, 2013 - 15:42

hello saba.
how are you today my friend?
what do you do?
my school it is very nice.
but, usullay i dont like school. couse i get up very early.
and you?
do you like school?
C.U

ellen's picture
ellen 5 September, 2013 - 16:05

Ok.
I am 15.
Azerbaijan begin at school 16 september.
Yes, we have got school juniform. Our juniform has got blue skirt and white shirt.
my hobby draw the picture, I collect interesting information on the internet.
yes, i have been some countries.
first, iran , later Turkey and russia.
very nice.

saba's picture
saba 5 September, 2013 - 11:33

dear ellen how r u?
how old r u?
how r schools in azarbayjan?
what does your school uniform look like?
what r your hobbies?
do u travel to different countries alot?

Lavender 4 September, 2013 - 16:15

I know you ask Ellen but I like Sel music too, since 'Naturally' now I'm fond of 'Slow down', I play the song every day and sing a long with it.

saba's picture
saba 5 September, 2013 - 09:09

hi dear lavender i like a year with out rain and my dillema actually i like most of her songs
who else do u like lavender witch singer is your favorite?please reply quickly

Lavender 6 September, 2013 - 03:02

Taylor Swift, she inspires me a lot. I also like Demi Lovato, her songs are meaningful. Bruno Mars and Justin Timberlake with their sweet songs actually touch my heart....
And you Saba? Which singers do you like besides Sel?

Harabeli Supersweet 20 September, 2013 - 14:15

We have exactly the same music taste. I love Taylor Swift too. She's one of my greatest inspirations. Demi is a strong girl. I know what she's been through and I'm so glad that she's doing well now. "Warrior" is one of her best songs. It shows her story. Bruno Mars is my favourite male singer and I like Justin Timberlake songs too, especially "Mirrors".

saba's picture
saba 8 September, 2013 - 08:38

hi again
i like demi lovato a lot when i was in australia i watched disney channel and she played in tv seires and movies
i loved her films but in iran i can't watch disney chanel any more can u tell me does disney chanel still show sonny with a chance? i loved that show!

Lavender 9 September, 2013 - 18:22

Have you ever watched "Camp rock"?
In Asia Disney Channel is more and more boring....It doesn't have terrific movies like High School Musical or Camp Rock or Cheetah Girls any more. The great shows like Hannah Montana, Wizards of Waverly Place, Suit Life of Jack and Cody are over. Sonny with a chance doesn't have new episodes. We have to watch Boboboi and Upin Ipin instead. Them cartoons are just for KIDS :(

saba's picture
saba 14 September, 2013 - 08:15

oh that's 2 bad i loved disney chanel i loved all those programes and i watched all of them!!!! i'm so haert broken

ellen's picture
ellen 10 September, 2013 - 15:35

i havent yet , Camp rock.
I like disney cartoons, especially I watched American Disney Channel .
I watch ~Shake it up~, Selena Gomez all films, ~Jessie~ and s.on.
Have you ever watched ~Disney films~?
Are you watch Mtv music awards?
C.U

ellen's picture
ellen 7 September, 2013 - 05:59

Again Hi my friend.Let me I answering your questions.
yes, I like many singers, especially, USA singers.
Taylor Swift, Katy Perry, Demi Lovato.

ellen's picture
ellen 4 September, 2013 - 07:46

Hello Lavender.................))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))
My family consists of 4 members.I, my father, my mother and my brother.
yes, I ever watched a cartoon named 'Arthur and friends'
it is very nice cartoon.
My favorite cartoon is Tom and Jerry.
What profession do you want to have in the future?
Do you like to travel?
bye-bye

Lavender 4 September, 2013 - 16:11

Hi Ellen. My family is the same, 4 members :father mother me and my brother.
Sometime I want to be a teacher when I grow up. What about you Ellen?

ellen's picture
ellen 5 September, 2013 - 09:01

Hello Lavender.
My father is a teacher.
What are your father and mother work?
I want to be businnesman.
And what about your favourite food??
thank>3

Lavender 6 September, 2013 - 03:08

Hi Ellen, my dad is a teacher too.
Businessman is a job many people dream of.
Have you started school yet? I'm gonna have the first lesson next Monday.
My favorite food are spring rolls and pizza and noodles and spaghetti and sushi.
What is your favorite food? Your favorite fruits?

ellen's picture
ellen 7 September, 2013 - 05:56

Hello Lavender.
Oh very nice.
yes, i know Businessman is a job many people dream of.
Not, My school is still started.
I to be , i.e . I prepare to be vegeterian.
i think my healty it is very good.
But, my favorite food are fish foods and vegetables salad.
My favorite fruits are apple, fig and peach.

Which is your favorite fruits?

How is you fashion style?

Who is you favorite models?

Thanks.

Lavender 8 September, 2013 - 04:30

hi Ellen.........
Why do you want to be a vegetarian?
My favorite fruits are mango, watermelon, avocado and durian.
I like to wear simple and cute dresses like taylor swift. And the bohemian style with maxi dressses like selena gomez and vanessa hugens is great. but I'm a student I don't have much chances to wear what I like. And the weather here is hot throughout the year so we should cover the skin to avoid the sunlight whenever we go outside.
My favorite model is Miranda Kerr.
How about you? What is your fashion styles? Do you wear high heels?

ellen's picture
ellen 8 September, 2013 - 11:06

Hi, Lavender.
I think to be a vegetarian it is very nice, couse is very important for us for healty.
Vegeterians always eat fruits and vegetables.
And My opinon ~we know these it is very helpful for our healty.~
Yes, I agree with your vomments.
Couse, My favorite models are Miranda kerr and Adriana Lima.
I like sport style.
I every day wearing sport trouses and Shirt.
I like sport sport shoes.
Yes, I sometimes wearing high heels.
i like high heels shoes.
Do you wear high heels?
How about you?
Do you like movie?
Which is your favorite actress and actors/
C.U

Lavender 24 September, 2013 - 10:51

Hi Ellen. These days I've been busy with back to school so now I have the time to answer your questions.
Yes I love high heels. I find women walking on them are beautiful and elegant. But I'm a student, so the best option for me everyday is a pair of sneakers.
I like movies. I don't like action movies or horror ones, I just like movies about love stories (with magic is great). I like a lot of movies : The Vow, The Proposal, Dear John, The Last Song, Star Dust, Harry Potter, Twilight....... I don't have favorite actress/actors, they vary. But I'm impresses by Rachel MacAdams, Emma Watson, Amanda Seyfried, they are so sweet.
How about you Ellen? Which movies do you like (and dislike)?

Lavender 3 September, 2013 - 18:22

Hi Ellen. I've searched the internet and I listened the Selena songs you recommended and they are really good. Thank you. Yes I'd like to travel to explore many beautiful places in my country and also the world.
In my country people often eat rice for their meals. And meat and beef, eggs, fish and vegetables. We eat a lot of vegetables a day, luckily they are quite cheap. We don't often eat fast foods, they are not good for health. Some families gather to have meal but some do it separately. My family always have lunch and dinner together, at home.
How about your family Ellen?
Ps: Have you ever watched a cartoon named 'Arthur and friends'? I know a character she is Sue Ellen.

ellen's picture
ellen 4 September, 2013 - 07:29

Hello saba.
How are you?
I am 15.
and you?
How old are you?
What is your hobby? How many hours a week you can pass the English language? Have you got sister and brother? Which you singers like?
You are dark hair or blonde hair ? You are tall, or undersized? Have you got some animal?
Please answer.......................................................................... -

saba's picture
saba 4 September, 2013 - 09:59

hi dear ellen i'm 13 and a half years old i have log brown hair i'm 165 cm tall my favorite stars are adele rihanna selena gomez and kivance tatlitug.i like to draw pictures i'm very artistic and sometimes i listen to music and i play volley ball i have one anoying little sister witch i don't like and i don't have any pets
ellen are you sadisfied with your life? i think u were from azarbayjan do u like it there? answer please

ellen's picture
ellen 5 September, 2013 - 08:54

Hello dear saba.
How are you today?
So do I. I like also, Selena Gomez, Rihanna and ect.
yes, Me sadisfied with my life.
I am satisfied with my life.
and you?

are you satisfied with your life?

Yes, Certanly I like my country.Who does not love that?!
When school begins?
have your school uniform?
Have you been some countries?
And what about your favourite food??
where are you live in Iran?
thanks

saba's picture
saba 5 September, 2013 - 11:25

hi ellen thanks i'm fine how r u?
i like my life and i'm completely sadisfied with it and i'm glad that u r sadisfied with your life too
school begins 2 weeks later and we have an ugly school uniform it's a dark colored cover and scarf i hate irans schools!!!
i've been in a lot of diferent countries like australia dubai germani newzeland turkey paris and england i love
traveling withmy family
my favorite food is lasania and pizza
i live in the city Arak it's a big cty but it is very poluted and it has alot of factories.

ellen's picture
ellen 3 September, 2013 - 07:26

Hello Negar1995.
How are you?
So do I.
I like Nur Fettah Oglu, Beren saat , Kivance Tatlitug and Umit ibrahimm Kiraklar.
Have you been some countries?
Where are you trying to read? Maybe can you give me advice what in your opinion is good jobs? I would like to hear your opinion....