Heroes

24
RosemaryM

The question "Who is your hero?" is a difficult one to answer; so many people have done heroic things that it is hard to choose just one. In addition, there isn't just one type of hero; there are many. 

First of all, we have heroes in popular culture: in books, films and cartoons, to name a few. Superman and Batman are two well-known comic-book heroes; the latter of the two has no superpowers, and instead has to rely on his own skills. Many of us are familiar with James Bond (also known as 007), the British spy invented by Ian Fleming. Each Disney story has a hero or heroine: Rapunzel in Tangled, Merida in Brave and Elsa in Frozen, for example. Lots of young children will often have a fictional character as their hero: someone they aspire to be like when they grow up.

Of course, there are also many people who are known around the world for their heroic deeds. People like Nelson Mandela, Mohandas Gandhi and Martin Luther King are all considered to be heroes. Each of them fought for a cause and achieved results, without resorting to violence. These people were brave, courageous and loyal to their people. Many British people regard Winston Churchill as a hero, as he consistently fought the Nazi regime and kept Britain free from invasion. Abraham Lincoln, a former American president, put an end to slavery and is consequently remembered as a hero. There are some lesser-known heroes, such as Oskar Schindler who saved the lives of thousands of Jews during the Holocaust.

Last, but by no means least, there are the unsung heroes. These are the people who do good things constantly - yet tend not to receive praise for their actions. Think about your mother, your father, your family. They support you and believe in you; they help you to achieve your dreams. Unsung heroes are everywhere - teachers, firemen, police officers, soldiers, doctors. 

Heroes all have some qualities in common. A hero (or heroine) is someone who does something for the benefit of society and does not seek a reward for his or her actions. Heroes are compassionate, empathetic (this means they understand others' feelings), strong-willed and driven to succeed. They often have to overcome obstacles to achieve their dreams.

Lots of films have been produced to document the lives of certain people who are considered to be heroes, for example: Selma (2015, about Martin Luther King), Gandhi (1982, about Mohandas Gandhi), Mandela: Long Walk to Freedom (2013, about Nelson Mandela) and Lincoln (2012, about Abraham Lincoln).

Who is your hero? 

catastrophe's picture
catastrophe 14 May, 2017 - 11:47

My heroes are... My parents. They are great people, you know. They don't know that I idolise them, so it better be a secret. They have achieved so many things and don't care about anything else other than me. Sun or rain, they work and earn for me. And I think that's something that a hero should do. Should not care about anything and work on for his people. And my second hero is me! I'm not selfish, please. I am saying this because... I make the best of what I have to help people. So that's a hero kind-of work, right?

Darbinizrade's picture
Darbinizrade 13 April, 2015 - 19:37

My hero is John Lennon, although he died so many years ago and I have never seen him alive, he is absolutely my hero.Because his biggest aspiration was "peace" and he did everything he could do to make people understand what "peace" is. You can understand what I mean if you listen to a few Lennon songs such as Imagine or Gice Peace A Chance. The most popular one is Imagine and you should listen to it. "Peace" wasn't only in his songs.He protested war for many times with his wife, Yoko Ono and he managed to attract attention to encourage other people.

RosemaryM's picture
RosemaryM 14 April, 2015 - 14:42

Hi Darbinizrade,

I'm a huge fan of The Beatles and like yourself, I really admire what John Lennon did. "Imagine" is my favourite song by him! What's great about John Lennon is that he used lots of different ways to communicate his message - from songs to peaceful protests.

iva10 12 April, 2015 - 13:22

I don t have a hero,but i would like that people care about the planet more,because they drop rubbish everyvere .My perfect hero is wone who wants justice and cares about the environment.

Thanks for the comment RosemaryM! Well, there are many such leaders having heroic qualities but some of them I'll mention as Dr. Allama Muhammad Iqbal, Sir Syed Ahmad Khan, Liaquat Ali Khan, Muhtarma Fatima Jinnah, Mullana Muhammad Ali Johar, Mullana Shaukat Ali, Chaudhary Rehmat Ali , Sir Abdurab Nishtar, and many more I highlighted some of them because i'm unable to list all of them!

RosemaryM's picture
RosemaryM 8 April, 2015 - 16:10

Hi hadia,

That's a lot of people who have done great things! Many heroes are controversial (this means they divide people's opinions of them) - are these heroes loved by everyone in your country, or are there some groups of people who wouldn't call these people heroes?

HI RosemaryM!
Well! there are some heroes which are controversial but those from the history like those who took part in independence league and give their part in making of our country , they are loved by all of us! and many of the controversial are those who are like for example politicians or some leaders of a specific community! etc I hope you understand what I want to tell! Then they are not called heroes they are the leaders representing a special community!

RosemaryM's picture
RosemaryM 9 April, 2015 - 09:02

Hi hadia,

That's incredible that there are so many people who are respected and loved by everyone in your country! I don't think I could think of that many British heroes! 

Thanks for your comment! But I think there are many British heroes as well . if you look into history like Sir Winston Churchill,he is one of the greatest politician.and don't forget about Sir Issac Newton who gave a lot contribution to physics, and No doubt the great William Shakespeare who is considered as greatest writers of all times Margret Thatcher, and many world famous naturalists and scientists,.All are British and I think they are really Heroes! and even many more but I can't list all!

Elsa007 6 April, 2015 - 13:51

Hi hadia!
Your hero sounds great! I think you're lucky to have the hero who achieved such an amazing historic feat for your country! Actually, I can't come up with my hero who has done great things but when I think of a hero, I have the impression that a hero doesn't necessarily accomplish something for the benefit of society. I mean, anyone could be a hero for someone else's mind. Even the closest person could be….!? :-)

RosemaryM's picture
RosemaryM 7 April, 2015 - 07:06

Hi Elsa007,

That's very true - different people consider different people to be heroes. Therefore, as you say, anyone could be a hero. Some heroes (usually the most well-known, both in fiction and the real world) do work for the benefit of society - for example James Bond 007 in the popular British film (and novel) series, or leaders of countries. Many heroes are not popular with everyone. For example, when the US president Abraham Lincoln abolished slavery, the owners of slaves did not like him. 

Hi Elsa007!
Truly! I'm a lucky person to have such a great leader and you've said right that hero can't only be a great leader but also can be someone who is closer to you like your mom or dad etc!

Ken 6 April, 2015 - 09:25

My hero is Christiano Ronaldo.
He is a football player and a dream maker for many kids around me! His football is full of inspiration. Of course, he seeks a reward for his action as a star player and I don't think he's the person who does good things constantly. I think a hero is made, not born; The good are born, not made.

catastrophe's picture
catastrophe 14 May, 2017 - 11:43

Hi Ken,
Even I like Ronaldo! He's a great player, and being a fan of football, he comes in most of my dreams, too!

RosemaryM's picture
RosemaryM 7 April, 2015 - 06:58

Hi Ken,

Ronaldo is a very talented player. I think what you say about heroes and good people is very interesting ("I think a hero is made, not born; The good are born, not made"). Do you think there is anyone who fits both descriptions (i.e. someone who is a hero and is always good)?

Ken 7 April, 2015 - 15:13

Thank you for the comment, Rosemary. Well, it's difficult question to think of someone who is a hero and is always good…
There's nothing good or bad but thinking makes it so. (William Shakespeare)??

A Hero is that special character in the life drama who does something unique and remarkable and is admired by everybody! Usually they are charming, energetic, active,agile , strong, hard workers , and committed to their work! My hero in History is Quaid-e-Azam Muhammad Ali Jinnah . If the greatness of a man is measured by his ability ,Jinnah must rank among those few in the human history whose greatness is beyond cavil! Jinnah was a man of principle. He was committed to his work. He did all his work with full devotion and was succeeded in doing so. He gave the Muslims a separate homeland where they can live their life according to the Muslim culture. He is really admired by all. He died by his devotion to Pakistan He was really such a great leader. He didn't took care of his own life and health and fought for the independence of the Muslim of India. Though today , he is not among us but he will always remain in our hearts as a shining star.
May his soul rest in peace (Ameen) A great Historian Stanley Wolpert said that:
Few alter the course of History,
Fewer modify map of the World,
Hardly anyone created a nation-state,
But Muhammad Ali Jinnah did all three!
A bid Solute to Jinnah!

RosemaryM's picture
RosemaryM 7 April, 2015 - 06:52

Hi hadia,

Your answer was really interesting to read - I had never heard of the person you mentioned before! Are there any other people like Jinnah who have done great things for your country?