The Hobbit: the Desolation of Smaug

17
EleanorC

In the Christmas holidays, I went to the cinema with a group of friends to see the second film in the Hobbit series, directed by Peter Jackson. Even though I hadn’t seen the first film, I had read the book written by J.R.R. Tolkien so I hoped that I would be able to follow the story of the Desolation of Smaug.

The Hobbit films belong to the genre of fantasy. They tell the story of a group of dwarves who are travelling to a faraway mountain and who are planning to fight a huge dragon named Smaug. The monster has taken over their home and their treasure. The dwarves take a hobbit named Bilbo Baggins on their quest: his job is to be a thief and help them take back the precious jewels and gold that the dragon is guarding.

As a prequel to The Lord of the Rings series, I was not surprised to see some characters and creatures that I had already seen on screen. “The Hobbit” contains all sorts of magical creatures, like elves and wizards, but also some really horrible monsters like ugly orcs and giant spiders. The dwarves’ journey leads them through dark forests and unfamiliar towns where they meet a lot of enemies but also some people who help them. There are some fantastic special effects in the action scenes: they were both scary and exciting to watch.

I won’t tell you what happens in the end but the last bit of the film was definitely my favourite. We meet Smaug, the talking dragon, in the underground home of the dwarves. The film ended on a note of suspense so I definitely want to see what happens next!

Have you seen The Hobbit films? What's your favourite kind of film?

Potterhead14's picture
Potterhead14 14 December, 2015 - 18:15

A good film. However, the story is dilluted by a great amount of fighting scenes. The Battle of The Five Armies looks like Peter Jackson thought that he had some extra fighting scenes and put them all in one film. The first one was the best for sure. I'm a huge fan of the book.

Looneytribute0002's picture
Looneytribute0002 26 May, 2015 - 16:49

I really loved the movie! I have read the book too (only once though).However, the movie wasn't exactly like the book. They brought in Legolas ( An important character in LOTR series) and Tauriel- a she-elf that Peter Jackson created only for the movies. I don't mind these changes though. I LOVE Legolas and Tauriel! The Hobbit series is pretty good but I think the Lord of the Rings saga was much more epic and thrilling .

Crystallized's picture
Crystallized 27 March, 2014 - 09:36

When it comes to the Lord of the rings franchise and the Hobbit i turn into one of those rabid fangirls (Consciously). Also I LOVE the fantasy and the Sci-fi genre. I sometimes (Well, a BIG understatement) watch animated films. I also adore these made by Disney and Hayao Miyazaki.

samil's picture
samil 8 February, 2014 - 10:34

I have seen The Hobbit.I keen on fantastic films like a Harry Potter,Spiderman,Dark Knight...It is fluent movie.

Fatime143's picture
Fatime143 7 February, 2014 - 14:38

I have seen The Hobbit films.It is very interesting movie.My favourite kind is The Lord of the Rings.

260344's picture
260344 4 February, 2014 - 13:04

I have seen the both of the films. I love The Lord of the Rings, and I adore Harry Potter!!! :) I love fiction.

Niluh 26 January, 2014 - 12:22

No, i haven't seen the first and the second one. I adore animated film, Up and Toy story are my favourite.