The importance of friendship in films

10
JennyBlogger

My favourite films as a teenager were all about love and romance. I loved watching the main character’s quest for romance, knowing that at the end of the film they would be successful and find the perfect partner — because that’s what always happens in these movies. Watching all these films even made me obsess over searching for my own movie-style romance.

However, the other day I watched one of my all-time-favourite teenage romcoms again for the first time in several years, and I was surprised to find myself a little disappointed at the end. The film put such a heavy weighting on the theme of romance and completely ignored several other themes which are so important in our teenage lives. In my opinion, one of the most important themes is friendship. Your friends are the people who you see every day at school, who are going through it all with you and who will be there to support you when you need it. In my teenage years my friends were the ones who I always had the most fun with!

In a world obsessed with romance, it can be difficult to find films about friendship. So here are three that I would recommend:

1) The Kings of Summer: this thought-provoking film follows three teenage boys who decide to spend their summer living in the woods and building their own house. Their parents might not have thought that this was such a sensible idea, but the boys’ friendship grows stronger as they learn to live in the wild together.

2) Mean Girls: So maybe this one is as much about enemies as it is friends! It follows a new girl at school who has to deal with the dramas of high school life in order to find a nice group of friends. This film demonstrates the struggles of friendships, but also why it’s important to be kind and treat your friends well.

3) Bend it Like Beckham: This film might also feature a bit of romance, but ultimately it’s about a women’s football team’s friendship. A teenage girl with a passion for football is determined to follow her dream, and she has her friends supporting her along the way.

Do you think the theme of friendship is important? Can you recommend any other films with this theme?

catastrophe's picture
catastrophe 17 June, 2017 - 16:35

As a young teenager, I feel surprised that I'm not much attracted to romcom. I've hardly watched a few if them, and I don't like them. I actually feel a lot addicted to movies on friendship. Disney seems to be an expert on this one. Like, Big Hero 6, Zootopia, Fox and the Hound, and so many of them. I'm not criticizing romcom, but I prefer other movies to it, that's all. :))))

ariina's picture
ariina 16 June, 2017 - 12:45

yes I think its important and make the film friendly...(16 Wishes) is a film base of friendship...I suggest it to you

poppymoore's picture
poppymoore 1 April, 2017 - 04:00

YES! Of course friendship is one of the most important aspects of teen life (more then romance I think). The best films about friendship that I have watched are :. Wild child
The Duff
Crossroads
We are your friends
All of them contain a bit of romance but they all show that in the end friendship is all that matters

Ken 17 June, 2017 - 00:23

Hi, I totally agree with you in a sense that trust (friendship) comes beyond control (romance).
( ˘ ³˘)♥ (´◡`♥)

Ken 21 March, 2017 - 10:24

Hi Dibu,

Great comment!
By the way, I have a question about a word 'blessed'. I looked up the word in the dictionary and found that it has a positive meaning (for emphasizing that something makes you feel happy or grateful because it is just what you need) and a negative meaning (for emphasizing that you are annoyed about something).

I can't believe that how could English speaking people use the term quite differently!?
You mean, you can even make a good friendship with an annoying person?!
Confusing English....! ʅ(´-ω-`)ʃ

hadia 18 June, 2017 - 00:40

I never knew that before, Ken.
I've always used blessed as a positive remark.
You're right. English becomes confusing at times. Especially, when a word carry several meanings by the way it is used in the sentence or in speech.
Well, May God Bless us all. ;)))

catastrophe's picture
catastrophe 18 June, 2017 - 08:35

Same here. Homophones and homonyms, the hardest of all. And yes, may God "bless" us all! :D ha ha!

Dibu's picture
Dibu 2 March, 2017 - 18:41

As far as I can see, the theme of friendship is a really urgent one, which can't be ignored. Friends are people, who always support you and help you to not give up. They're not just guys, with whom you can hang around city streets, but those, who make you blessed and give you incredibly nice moments that will recur in our thoughts timelessly.