The Impossible - a Film Review

31
Bethan Morgan

Don’t worry – I’m not about to reveal the ending!

Based on the tragic events of Boxing Day (26th December) 2004, The Impossible tells the story of one family’s terrifying experience of the tsunami which tore apart the lives of so many people. It is adapted from the true story of the Belón family from Spain who were on holiday in Thailand when the disaster struck.

María Belón, her husband Enrique and their three sons were staying at a resort over Christmas when their lives were changed forever. The film shows the family (played by actors) relaxing by the pool when suddenly the wave hits the resort and tears them apart. It then goes on to portray the family’s struggle to find one another, by visiting various hospitals and health centres, many of which were temporary and run by volunteers.

María is played by Naomi Watts, who has since gone on to be nominated for an Academy Award based on her performance. Ewan McGregor plays her husband, who frantically searches for the rest of his family with the help of people he meets along the way.

I went to see the film with my family recently, and none of us had a bad word to say about it. Naomi Watts and Ewan McGregor play their roles so convincingly that it is easy to forget that it is acted. Every tear and every wound, both physical and mental, appear completely heartfelt. You find yourself feeling the same emotions that you can only imagine the family members are experiencing, whilst praying that they find each other. Put it this way, there were no dry eyes in the cinema by the end of the film!

Watching The Impossible is emotionally exhausting and it provokes a deep sadness in you for all of those involved in the tragedy. I believe it is an extremely effective way of telling the story of exactly what happened at that time, especially as it is based on true experiences. 

The film has received overwhelmingly positive reviews from around the world, and I predict it will be a big part of any upcoming awards. I definitely recommend going to see it, as long as you remember your tissues!

Have you heard about this film? Would you go and see it?

Oliii98's picture
Oliii98 4 November, 2013 - 19:30

I haven't seen this film. I'm not watching many films, and if i am, they are usually scary ones. But this film can be interesting. I'll maybe watch it :)

mary_me5's picture
mary_me5 17 June, 2013 - 20:04

i have not seen this film. But after reading this story i want to watch it. I am interested in how stars are playng there roles and express theire emotions.

Beauty2705's picture
Beauty2705 16 March, 2013 - 15:46

I saw the film now....thanks to this amazing article...I wouldn't have seen it if I wouldn't have read this article...thanks again guys....
by the way, the film is awesome!! 5 stars!

Bethan Morgan's picture
Bethan Morgan 18 March, 2013 - 14:55

I am glad you managed to watch it and that you enjoyed it so much! I agree, definitely 5 stars :)

Beauty2705's picture
Beauty2705 3 March, 2013 - 14:28

I haven't seen it....but it really sounds interesting! thanks for letting me know guys, I'll download it right away!!! :D

August's picture
August 28 February, 2013 - 07:09

I saw trailer of this film and I wanted to watch it a lot.
One of my friend said that he wanted to have three children after seeing it :P

Bethan Morgan's picture
Bethan Morgan 20 February, 2013 - 16:39

I think it is better to watch it in the cinema, as it is more dramatic. Do you agree or do you prefer to watch films at home?

megisiana's picture
megisiana 11 February, 2013 - 19:00

i have seen this film and is amazing..................i love this film is so touching and the end is beautiful like always................................................
Yes of course i would like to go and to see it again and again..........

Ghost's picture
Ghost 31 January, 2013 - 12:14

Thanks to the author, be sure to watch the movie the other day. A very tragic story, but I'm sure many will like the movie, I recommend.

JoEditor's picture
JoEditor 30 January, 2013 - 13:42

Hi ilda,
I changed your account name this morning and I sent you an email to tell you why. The reason is that in our House Rules we ask users not to use their full names (real first name and surname) as their user name. When we think that users have done this, we change their user names. We always send an email to let users know this.
If you have any more questions you can use the Contact Us link at the bottom of every page to email the LearnEnglish Teens Team directly.
Best wishes, Jo (LearnEnglish Teens Team)