Friday, 30 October, 2015 - 14:41

Let's talk about Sherlock

by JoEditor

You know who I mean, Sherlock Holmes of course! I have very quickly learnt that he is not just popular back in the UK, but is huge around the world. In my first lesson I asked the students to tell me what they already knew about the UK. Most classes put Sherlock Holmes, a couple put 221B Baker Street (Sherlock Holmes' address) and some more wanted to know how to spell Benedict Cumberbatch! In at least one of my classes there has been a book at the back with Sherlock Holmes on it, and I have a student whose English name is Sherlock too!

But who is Sherlock Holmes? Sherlock Holmes is a fictional character created by British author and physician Sir Arthur Conan Doyle over 100 years ago. He first appeared in print in 1887 in A Study in Scarlet, and has permeated popular culture for over a century. He has become famous for his early use of forensic science and deductive reasoning, as well as his eccentric personality. In total, Holmes features in four novels and fifty-six short stories. The majority of these are written from the perspective of his friend Dr Watson, but 2 are from Holmes’ own perspective. The final two are written in the third person. His adventures took place from around 1880 to 1914, with a minor interlude when the character was presumed dead.

Although originally a character in novels and short stories, Sherlock Holmes has become a well-known character on the big and small screen. In fact, he has the honour of holding the official Guinness World Record for the ‘Most Portrayed Movie Character’. More than seventy actors have played the role in over two hundred films. There are currently at least three actors simultaneously playing the role! Robert Downey Jr stars in the popular film franchise alongside Jude Law as Dr Watson, set in the time the character was first written. There are also two TV series which have modernised the setting. Benedict Cumberbatch is centre stage in the BBC adaptation Sherlock, with Martin Freeman as his Dr Watson. Last but not least, there is Jonny Lee Miller portraying the character in the American series Elementary alongside Lucy Liu, who plays a female Dr Watson.

Sherlock Holmes continues to entertain audiences after 100 years and there is no sign of his appeal waning any time soon.

Note from the editor: If you want to learn more about Sherlock Holmes you can watch this video.

Language level

Do you like Sherlock Holmes? Which adaptation is your favourite?

Profile picture for user empty

Submitted by empty on Sat, 07/06/2019 - 07:05

Yes , I love Sherlock Holmes movies !

Submitted by Cecil on Sat, 08/25/2018 - 19:56

I love the series! Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman are such great actors and I love how is a Sherlock from nowadays instead of the old one, it is really interesting and funny and I just love it.

Submitted by nalberdmor on Tue, 01/16/2018 - 18:32

I love Sherlock Holmes! I used to watch the series and i loved it

Submitted by adelllaleg on Mon, 01/15/2018 - 13:28

I like Sherlock Holmes, I think it´s very interesting. The Hound of Baskerville it´s a nice book and I enjoyed it so much.

Submitted by markos on Mon, 01/15/2018 - 13:24

I REALLY LIKE SHERLOCK HOLMES. BECAUSE I LOVE READING MISTERY STORIES. HE IS ONE OF MY FAVOURITE CHARACTERS.

Submitted by ivanhulk on Mon, 01/15/2018 - 13:22

i don't like Sherlock Holmes because i am not familiar with it.I only read one bokk of Sherlock holmes ad i didn't like it

Submitted by luuciaamendeez on Mon, 01/15/2018 - 13:20

I know Sherlock Holmes, the films and the books but the book the Hound of Baskervilles is not too much interesting for me. I dont like it to much. I am sure I will prefer a series or a film. But I have to recognise that the book is not to much bad, I like the character of Sherlock Holmes but I repeat, the book is not the kind of books I like to read.

Submitted by calvache_4 on Mon, 01/15/2018 - 13:20

I can`t say that i like or i don`t like because i don`t read books usually :3 The Hound Of The Baskervilles, because it`s the most interesting for me

Submitted by IreneandMarta on Mon, 01/15/2018 - 13:10

We like Sherlock Holmes . He is kind and a smart person who helps people when they need it. We are whatching a serie called Sherlock and is very interesting.

Submitted by enilu on Mon, 01/15/2018 - 13:09

We don't really like Sherlock Holmes,because is not our favourite type of books. But we understand why they have so much readers.
Profile picture for user catastrophe

Submitted by catastrophe on Fri, 01/26/2018 - 15:03

Maybe you should try watching the series. They are more concise and easy to follow than the books!

In reply to by enilu

Submitted by mikelorti on Mon, 01/15/2018 - 13:08

I like Sherlock Holmes because he's a great and a very famous character. One of my favourite adaptations is The Hound of the Baskervilles, in which he solves a mystery that makes everybody go crazy.

Submitted by miitkoo on Mon, 01/15/2018 - 13:05

Yes I like Sherlock Holmes and my favourite adaptation is The Hound of Baskervilles because is a novel that contains interesant and intriguing adventures. Is fantastic!

Submitted by Igoni on Mon, 01/15/2018 - 13:04

I love Sherlock Holmes, and my favourite book is ''The Hound of the Baskervilles''.

Submitted by Mgoslinpen on Mon, 01/15/2018 - 13:04

I love Sherlock Holmes. The best Sherlock Holmes adaptation is the Hound of the Baskervilles. Its a thrilling novel that contains adventures and mysterious moments in wich you can't stop reading.
English courses near you