Lists and learning

4
KatB

Most of us are familiar with the concept of a list. 

A list can be long or short, hurriedly hand-written on a torn piece of scrap paper or typed, printed and laminated. And as for the contents of a list, the possibilities are endless! From the humble shopping list, to the procrastinator's best friend, the 'To Do' list, there's even a whole film dedicated to the most ambitious type of list - namely, The Bucket List. (Starring Morgan Freeman and Jack Nicholson, it's well worth a watch.) 

I, too, have a list. This particular list is around as long as my arm, and still growing. It's a list of all the things I would like to learn, given the opportunity. The list includes scuba-diving, roller skating, sign language and how to play the saxophone - to name but a few! 

There is no rhyme nor reason to this list; it's just a completely random selection of skills which I currently lack. And sometimes, looking at the list makes me feel somewhat useless. I don't know first aid, I can't sew or knit and I wouldn't have a clue how to change a tyre. 

But over the course of my time as a teaching assistant in Germany, I appear to have accidentally picked up some skills I otherwise never would have practised: learning how to plan and lead lessons, speaking more German than I ever have in my entire life and finally understanding the finer technicalities of English grammar. Well, almost. 

So maybe it's time to start another list, one of all the things I have learnt how to do; after all, it's important to have goals, but it's just as important to appreciate what you are already good at, especially on the days where you lose sight of how far you've come.

Plus, there's still plenty of time to learn the saxophone. Or maybe I'll start with the triangle and build up from there ... Watch this space!

Do you write lists? What do you want to learn how to do? 

polyrrr's picture
polyrrr 24 August, 2015 - 17:38

Sometimes an idea to plan the next day comes to my mind and in this case I write something like "to-do" list. I had written the list of things I want to learn and ... lost it a week later) hope, I've learnt something since then.
Now I want to learn English(my aim - native speaker level, maybe too ambitious) and German, playing the piano or guitar, dancing hustle. I think, i will have something to do when I retire)

Ilgın's picture
Ilgın 30 July, 2015 - 21:16

ı confess I do lists all the time. Not to just remember things, to see what I'll do for the next days. Also I make film, book, song lists.

Ken 13 June, 2015 - 16:20

Building up from the triangle to the saxophone !? Wow, great enthusiasm! Do you mean it's just an analogy for a big achievement, Kat?? Cuz I think the triangle and the saxophone require two different skills, so it sounds like a detour to the goal??? Anyway, good luck, Kat!
And I want to learn how to get along with my girlfriend!! Tell me some tips, anyone!? (^.^)

NATALYY's picture
NATALYY 8 June, 2015 - 20:40

I had one list in my diary.That was list of my favourite songs.
Than list"where?"-All countres I want to visit...
" What do you want to learn how to do?"-I want to learn how to :-)Speak english well:-)...