Money isn't everything

22
FionaMcF

Whenever I ask my French high school pupils what they do in their free time, the answer always seems to be one of the following: a) sleep, b) see my friends/boyfriend/girlfriend or c) play video games. It's rare for them to have left the city or even to have gone anywhere in particular within the city. That would, of course, cost money.

Money isn't all that easy to come by when you're young, is it? While Christmas and birthdays can leave you temporarily better off, it's always tempting to blow it all as soon as you've got it rather than putting it aside for a rainy day.

At weekends and during holidays back when I still lived in Scotland, I loved nothing more than being out and about with my friends and family, but I took full advantage of the swimming, dance and language clubs that were on offer at my school and university. In France, unlike in Scotland, most school pupils also have Wednesday afternoons free. Some of them use that time to go to the cinema or do some shopping in the city centre, but luckily they too have plenty of alternatives so that entertainment doesn't always have to cost them money.

A couple of weeks ago, I started a weekly English club at my school. I wanted to give pupils the chance to practise and improve their conversational language skills, which can be difficult in the classroom. Both my fellow assistant and I were a little worried that fifteen-to-eighteen-year-old pupils wouldn't ever opt for more English over the traditional Wednesday afternoon sports clubs and training sessions, but we were all pleasantly surprised when pupils did start turning up. What's more, an hour of English, a cup of tea and chocolate biscuit later and they seemed very well entertained indeed!

Over the coming months, the Indian assistant and I are hoping to work on a multilingual drama project, a blog and, potentially, even a Scottish Country meets Bollywood dance event to bring our different cultures alive for our pupils.

Call me boring, but I honestly do believe that the best things in life are free. The way I see it, no video game, film or song could ever replace conversations, jokes and quality time shared with family and friends. They're simply irreplaceable. Yes, we all need a change of scenery and a break from our usual routine from time to time, but in such a commercialised and materialistic world, maybe we could all benefit from taking a step back and re-evaluating our priorities in life. Entertainment can be simple, and it doesn't always come with a price tag!

Do you need money to have a good time?

sona1453's picture
sona1453 5 April, 2016 - 20:55

we had a conversation club in my school and we were entertaining in prep year by talking (sharing our experiences usually) of course, we used to play chess or eat biscuits too. they were the days! the most unforgettable moments in life is free but firstly people shoud notice that. unfortunatally, parents don't set the teenagers free they always addict to them studying and getting high incomes.
sad but true

inezaga's picture
inezaga 29 February, 2016 - 21:02

It is good title We should follow by this motto throw all life. I noticed a few months ago that .most important things on the world what I Can give my children aren't many toys but few minutes during my day. My children are more cheerful when I spend with them time . I know that knowadays we life in still rush but we are suppose to remember money doesn't give us happy but relationship yes :)

Elsa007 1 March, 2016 - 12:53

Indeed!
"If you want your children to turn out well, spend twice as much time with them, and half as much money"

Jonathan - Coor... 1 March, 2016 - 03:38

Hi inezaga. Thanks for your comments. This website is specially for teenagers aged 13-17 years. You are welcome to keep on visiting LearnEnglish Teens but please do not post any more comments here as we must keep this strictly for teenagers only to interact with each other. Instead, please join our LearnEnglish page for adults and you are welcome to post comments there: www.britishcouncil.org/learnenglish

Best wishes, Jonathan
(LearnEnglish Teens Team)

cklj's picture
cklj 17 January, 2016 - 13:00

I think you don't need money to have a good time, you just need the right people around you. I have realized that me and my friends have fun whenever we are in a good mood and full of energy. Sometimes we laugh the most while watching a comedy movie online at my home, telling stupid jokes or walking to the park. With money you have more possibilities and more ideas of what you can do for fun, but that doesn't necessarily mean that you can't have a good time without money. Spending quality time with the people that you love shouldn't cost a thing.

karlaSweet21's picture
karlaSweet21 13 January, 2016 - 17:47

Your point is completely feasible. Fortunately there are a lot to do without spending much money, you can walk around, visit some parks, gather with some friends make jokes and even make new friends, go for a walk to the malls just see the stores and even spend time at home watching a movie or cartoons, do Some exercise at home. You tube it's full of interesting and funny videos, always when I want to releases some estres I  watch some jokes of YoMama or some pranks like the killer clown ahaaha and so on.

And even study is fun, spend time developing your skills, reading summary of books and your blog entry is so enjoyable and why not spent a few hours singing along the hit of the season. Ahahaha. Be able to enjoy the life depend on your attitude, why not be positive and find out some activities and
Free entertainment.

Samaan's picture
Samaan 5 January, 2016 - 10:25

Whatever it is, we need money for everything. You cannot deny the role that money plays in our everyday life..

Pilot's picture
Pilot 3 January, 2016 - 09:52

I think it s really complicated topic. I dont need money for good time. If i m with my family or frinds i can have funny time easily. But if u have money you can do what u want so it cause more good time :D. Actually i dont know money is everything or not. Still i don't decide

Ken 10 December, 2015 - 13:31

Well, all that's I need is that my girlfriend is with me!
And I won't call you boring, Fiona, i think you're creative. Realize your great ideas!
(° ꈊ °)✧

FionaMcF's picture
FionaMcF 10 December, 2015 - 23:24

Hi Ken!

Thanks for taking the time to comment! It sounds like you and your girlfriend love each other very much - all the best for the future, and keep up the good work with your English. :0)

Fiona

Ken 11 December, 2015 - 23:21

Thank you for the reply, Fiona!
Money doesn't always make people hsppy, sonetimes it ruins one's life, because of money..... Birbie tells me and she makes me happy without money!!
‎⁽⁽٩(๑˃̶͈̀ ᗨ ˂̶͈́)۶⁾⁾

bojana13's picture
bojana13 10 December, 2015 - 13:01

No I don't need. I like spending time with my friends and outside. You 're right, money isn't everything.

FionaMcF's picture
FionaMcF 10 December, 2015 - 23:26

Hi!

Thanks for taking the time to read and comment on my blog. What do you like doing outside? I love going for walks/on hikes, especially with good friends.

Fiona

gianggiang 10 December, 2015 - 11:58

No, I don't.
If you have much money, you can travel to many places. This doesn't mean if you don't have money, you can't have a good time (or holiday.)
I know many interesting Vietnamese young people, after graduating from high schools, they spend a gap year visiting and discovering to every corner of my country (or some places in foreign countries )This is so exciting ! However, most Vietnamese parents don't agree with this, they persuade their children to go to universities as soon as possible. Therefore, Vietnamese young people who want to travel don't receive financial supports from their parents, somehow, they manage and have wonderful trips and trips are not costly at all.

Someday in the future, I will imitate them, don't need much money but still having a good time !

FionaMcF's picture
FionaMcF 10 December, 2015 - 23:35

Hello!

Thanks for taking the time to comment on my blog entry. I found your comment really interesting, as I know very, very little about Vietnam and would like to learn more about life there. I think it's a real shame that most parents there don't encourage their children to go out and see the world. Travelling is the best thing I've ever done. I tend to work and travel rather than staying in hotels or just visiting tourist sights. I mean, I enjoy seeing the sights and taking lots of photos, but what I love most of all is the opportunity to learn about another culture and get to know its people. I've lived in Germany, Spain and two different regions of France now and have also spent summers working in England and Romania. My parents weren't particularly supportive at first, but they've accepted it now and are always interested to hear what I've been learning.

I do sometimes get jealous when I hear about some of my friends' amazing trips but then I remind myself of the friends I've made abroad, precious time shared with them and everything I've learned from them. I've had some major ups and downs in every country I've lived in, but I don't regret a minute of it. There are no words to describe the feeling you get when you find your place in a new city or country and start making friends for life. It's not all about friends though - I'm a firm believer of the fact that every single person we meet can teach us something.

I really, really hope you'll get the chance to travel one day. Obviously, travel will always cost money, even if you're working and travelling. However, it's definitely worth it! All the best!

Fiona

gianggiang 12 December, 2015 - 10:16

Hello,

Thank for sharing me your wonderful experiences !

Actually, Asian parents' opinions are not as relaxed as Western parents' . They're afraid that their children are not mature enough to take trips themselves. " What will happen with my daughters/ sons when I don't stand by them ?'. Parents are not wrong but only by traveling and discovering will teenagers be more mature !

I read some Vietnamese young people articles, they said that after having amazing trips, they knew what they were really passionate about and who they were and then, they have right decisions for the future careers.

Travel always costs money, but it doesn't cost much, it depends on the way you travel. In Vietnam, some teenagers traveled from the north to the south by bikes :). It's very easy to catch a bus/taxi but they didn't like. Traveling in a new way is as interesting as visiting a new region.

About my country, it is a bit bigger than the UK. Although Vietnam is completely a tropical country in South East
Asia, it's extremely cold in the north from November to January, long ago, it snowed in Sa Pa. However, in the south, the weather is always hot , high humidity and rainy. Many Vietnamese students living in the south of my country are very funny, they do want to travel to the north to enjoy the cold atmosphere, they want to try wearing woolen clothes, woolen scarfs and see drizzles. Simple reasons urge them to travel and so do I. Once, I read an article and saw a very beautiful wooden house in a garden which is full of purple colored flowers. I searched on the internet so many times and finally I knew where it is :) I will save money to prepare for this trip.:))).

Travel doesn't cost much money at all because after having trips, you will have new eyes about your life. That is the most meaningful thing.