You voted 4. Total votes: 86

Museums: do you love them or hate them?

21
RosemaryM

A trip to a museum is not everyone's cup of tea. Some people love going to museums and poring over all the different artefacts on display. Others absolutely hate it and would far rather stay at home, with an episode of their favourite TV show. Increasingly, museums are being seen as outdated and boring by today's youngsters. 

Museums are typically seen as educational, either to develop knowledge gained at school in particular subjects, or to enhance knowledge of other cultures. Some museums are very interactive, with quizzes and activities to participate in. Others have lots of information, which many people find tiring to read.

I must admit, I am not often enthused by a trip to a museum. Often, there is just too much to take in - too many things to see and too much information to read. However, there are always exceptions. I have just returned to the UK after travelling around Canada and the USA. Whilst there, I visited lots of museums with my boyfriend. Some were fantastic and really interesting; others were less exciting. 

In Chicago, we visited the world-famous Art Institute of Chicago. It was filled with paintings, drawings, sculptures and installations by a huge variety of artists, such as Picasso, Monet, Matisse and Dali. There was a mixture of traditional and modern art, including colourful stained glass windows, tribal art and sculptures and abstract art. I liked seeing the paintings by Monet (who is known for his paintings of water lilies, a flower which grows on ponds) and some of the strange modern art.

When we were in Washington D.C., we visited a few of the Smithsonian museums. These are all free to visit - which is great if you just want to see a few things, and not spend all day inside. The Air and Space museum was particularly good: it had lots of aircrafts and rockets on display, interesting information and also some interactive sections. We also went to the National U.S. Holocaust Memorial Museum. Naturally, it was sad to read about the horrors of this tragedy which affected so many people. However, it was also incredibly interesting to read the stories of those who survived the Holocaust, as well as those who helped others.

I also enjoyed visiting the Old Fire Station in Philadelphia. Inside there were old fire engines - which looked like horse-drawn carriages! - and equipment which they used to use. You could even try on a fireman's uniform! This wasn't a museum which I would have thought of visiting myself, but it was recommended by locals. It turned out to be a really worthwhile visit!

Last but not least, I also found the 9/11 Memorial and Museum to be of great interest. This museum is dedicated to those who lost their lives, as well as their families, when the Twin Towers in New York City were attacked by terrorists in 2001. It tells you how the terrorists planned the attack, how they hijacked the planes, and ultimately what happened as a result of their actions. Surviving pieces of the towers are shown in the museum, alongside damaged fire engines and donated clothing and shoes worn by survivors. It was a truly thought provoking visit, which made me value my own life that little bit more.

I think museums play an important role in preserving artefacts of historical significance for future generations. Whatever your interests, there is likely to be a museum for you. You can visit waxwork museums to see models of your favourite celebrities (and get photos with the Queen!), science museums for a more hands-on, interactive visit and so much more! Best of all, if you're ever in the UK, many of them are free!

Do you like visiting museums? Tell us about a museum you have visited recently. 

Macaque's picture
Macaque 15 November, 2015 - 11:48

I think museums are great places for learning new things. Allthough some museums can be a little bit "boring", I think there's something for everyone out there.

Jonathan - Coor... 24 October, 2015 - 11:29

Hi cat05. No need to apologise. Well done for spotting and correcting the mistake :)

cat05's picture
cat05 24 October, 2015 - 09:54

I love going to museums because there are a lot of great stuff in a museum,also we can more.But I don't have time for them, it is so sad :(

iva10 23 August, 2015 - 09:42

I like visiting museums because we can always learn something new.I went to a museum with my class about three or four mounth ago.

Manaly's picture
Manaly 14 July, 2015 - 16:24

I love museums, we can have a lot of information through it. We can know the cultures and beliefs of any country through its museum.

poppymoore's picture
poppymoore 22 June, 2015 - 14:08

I have never really visited any museums other than some local ones,and as RosemaryM said mueseums are not really everyone's cup of tea and certainly not mine. However, if I ever get a chance,I would like to visit Musee de Louvre(world's largest art museum)....and also a museum exclusively for teenagers.

25 users have voted, including you.
RosemaryM's picture
RosemaryM 1 July, 2015 - 10:55

Hi poppymoore,

The Louvre museum is certainly an iconic museum. Is there something in particular that you would like to see there? 

Elsa007 22 June, 2015 - 06:25

Hi RosemaryM,
Thank you for the reply! Well, in addition to the museum of natural history, I'd like to visit The Chocolate Museum! For all chocolate lovers, "You've got to see this!"

RosemaryM's picture
RosemaryM 1 July, 2015 - 10:37

Hi Elsa007,

Wow - that sounds like my sort of museum! When I was younger I visited Cadbury World; you can see all the chocolate being made and even try a bit. 

Elsa007 2 July, 2015 - 03:08

Hi RosemaryM,

Thank you for telling me the lovely museum! I'd love to visit Cadbury World when I get a chance! Have you heart about the chocolate museum called Choco-Story which I'd liked to visit ! ☆

RosemaryM's picture
RosemaryM 2 July, 2015 - 10:44

Hi Elsa007,

I've never heard of the Choco-Story museum - I'll have to look it up! This year, while I was working in a school in France the students had to design museums; one group designed one that was all about tasting chocolate and learning about its history and production. It was a really interesting project to be involved in!

hadia 29 June, 2015 - 14:06

Hi Elsa! Chocolate Museum!!!!!!!!! Wow it sounds really cool............... I would love to visit it ;)))))))

Elsa007 2 July, 2015 - 22:38

Hi Hadia!
Did you hear the Rosemay's project?
It's tempting, isn't it!?
Of corse, making as well as tasting ...!

Lavender 21 June, 2015 - 15:30

Yes I do. The museum makes me feel like I come into someone's life. The museum that I recently visited is about the war of my country against America. There are soldier's clothes, the guns they used, the letters they wrote for family, the notebooks..., many things help you have a look what our country suffered just about 50 years ago. However the museum I like best is the one that about royal family (now they become ordinary citizens) with beautiful clothes and delicate cups and many interesting things.

RosemaryM's picture
RosemaryM 1 July, 2015 - 10:49

Hi Lavender,

You've made a great point about museums - they give us a really good insight into someone's life. Through letters and other memorabilia we can try to understand others' experiences. That's interesting that you have a museum dedicated to the history of your royal family. Here in the UK, there are often lots of special exhibitions about the royal family but there isn't a special museum as far as I know. I would like to visit Buckingham Palace one day though - during the summer when the Queen is away it is open for the public to visit!

Elsa007 21 June, 2015 - 04:39

I like to visit museums to see a repository of collections of someone which I'm interested in. For example, I got overwhelmed when I visited a museum which showed a huge number of minerals all around the world that the King of Hapsburg had! It was amazing that I could see all sorts of samples without going out the world over.The collection tells me human wisdoms, work and achievement in the past and I'm assured of myself living now to relay some heritage. For me, whatever the collection is, as far as it fascinates me, it's fun to peek into something geek!

RosemaryM's picture
RosemaryM 21 June, 2015 - 12:35

Hi Elsa007,

That's the best bit about museums - being able to see things from all around the world, even if you're not able to travel to those countries! Museums are a great way of preserving objects so that future generations can understand our past. Is there a museum that you would really like to visit?