Tuesday, 16 June, 2015 - 16:53

Museums: do you love them or hate them?

by RosemaryM

A trip to a museum is not everyone's cup of tea. Some people love going to museums and poring over all the different artefacts on display. Others absolutely hate it and would far rather stay at home, with an episode of their favourite TV show. Increasingly, museums are being seen as outdated and boring by today's youngsters. 

Museums are typically seen as educational, either to develop knowledge gained at school in particular subjects, or to enhance knowledge of other cultures. Some museums are very interactive, with quizzes and activities to participate in. Others have lots of information, which many people find tiring to read.

I must admit, I am not often enthused by a trip to a museum. Often, there is just too much to take in - too many things to see and too much information to read. However, there are always exceptions. I have just returned to the UK after travelling around Canada and the USA. Whilst there, I visited lots of museums with my boyfriend. Some were fantastic and really interesting; others were less exciting. 

In Chicago, we visited the world-famous Art Institute of Chicago. It was filled with paintings, drawings, sculptures and installations by a huge variety of artists, such as Picasso, Monet, Matisse and Dali. There was a mixture of traditional and modern art, including colourful stained glass windows, tribal art and sculptures and abstract art. I liked seeing the paintings by Monet (who is known for his paintings of water lilies, a flower which grows on ponds) and some of the strange modern art.

When we were in Washington D.C., we visited a few of the Smithsonian museums. These are all free to visit - which is great if you just want to see a few things, and not spend all day inside. The Air and Space museum was particularly good: it had lots of aircrafts and rockets on display, interesting information and also some interactive sections. We also went to the National U.S. Holocaust Memorial Museum. Naturally, it was sad to read about the horrors of this tragedy which affected so many people. However, it was also incredibly interesting to read the stories of those who survived the Holocaust, as well as those who helped others.

I also enjoyed visiting the Old Fire Station in Philadelphia. Inside there were old fire engines - which looked like horse-drawn carriages! - and equipment which they used to use. You could even try on a fireman's uniform! This wasn't a museum which I would have thought of visiting myself, but it was recommended by locals. It turned out to be a really worthwhile visit!

Last but not least, I also found the 9/11 Memorial and Museum to be of great interest. This museum is dedicated to those who lost their lives, as well as their families, when the Twin Towers in New York City were attacked by terrorists in 2001. It tells you how the terrorists planned the attack, how they hijacked the planes, and ultimately what happened as a result of their actions. Surviving pieces of the towers are shown in the museum, alongside damaged fire engines and donated clothing and shoes worn by survivors. It was a truly thought provoking visit, which made me value my own life that little bit more.

I think museums play an important role in preserving artefacts of historical significance for future generations. Whatever your interests, there is likely to be a museum for you. You can visit waxwork museums to see models of your favourite celebrities (and get photos with the Queen!), science museums for a more hands-on, interactive visit and so much more! Best of all, if you're ever in the UK, many of them are free!

Do you like visiting museums? Tell us about a museum you have visited recently. 

Submitted by 358372 on Sat, 11/13/2021 - 17:32

I really like museums, because for me all expressions of art deserve to be admired and the museum it's a great place to do that, because all the things that are there have been perfectly selected, located and illuminated and the plus is that museums are normally silent places and I love silence. But the fact is that there aren't always good pieces or you are just waiting to see something amazing. The last museum that I visited was in my hometown and I didn't enjoy it, because I had already seen that exhibition.

Submitted by Fer_My5432 on Wed, 11/10/2021 - 02:26

I realy like visit museums but I don´t visiting a museum since 2019. The museum more recently tath I visited was Museum of Modern Art in Mexico City, Mexico. This museum have diferent expositions about modern art, abstract art in big canvaces with shine colors also paintings of human body and creative ideas. In a room to have sculptures with interesting desings, sculptures of wood. The museum´s garden to have many gigants sculptures of metal and rock, I am very amazed. In other rom to have photogrphs of famous actors and paints of authors as Diego Rivera and Frida Kahlo. Is a very varied museum.

Submitted by Aline01 on Wed, 11/10/2021 - 20:45

I visited a museum for line, and it was about ancient Mexican culture and had sculptures, vessels, paintings, the museum are very interactive, with activities to participate in. I enjoyed visiting the museum, it was very interesting, to see how in ancient times, people painted on stones, and the vessels has people or animals, as well as the sculptures were made without so much material, they were more rustic and not without so much detail. I invite you a museum for lines is really great

In reply to by Fer_My5432

Submitted by SophNou on Tue, 11/09/2021 - 16:51

Hello, Im from Mexico city, one of my favorites its the MUAC (university museum of contemporary art), I specially like this one because I love the contemporary art, i like to think "Contemporary Art it´s the closest to the reality that we have" outside the museum there are a "water mirror" its perfet to take photos or just watch it, in the other side there is a restaurant and the food its delicious. Another of my favorites its the Centro de la imagen (Image center) always have the best expositions, and in the infraestructure have a enormous and beautiful statue.

Submitted by rodriguez143 on Tue, 11/09/2021 - 09:37

The palace of fine arts is a fascinating place, this place has an impressive design and architecture. the palace of fine arts contains murals by world-renowned Mexican artists such as David Alfaro Siqueiros, Diego Rivera and Jose Clemente Orozco, the last time I visited this museum was in April 2020

Submitted by AN99 on Tue, 05/04/2021 - 01:05

I have only visited museums in Mexico City and recently, I have not gone for the pandemic, but my favorite museum is Franz Mayer Museum because it contains many ancient art works and artefacts such as tableware, furniture, etc. This museum also contains contemporary art works which are very interesting. The entrance is not very expensive. However, if you are student, you will pay half. The Franz Mayer museum is beautiful and has a very nice garden which is perfect to rest and its staff is very friendly. ¡If you visit Mexico City, you should visit Franz Mayer Museum!
English courses near you