My strange obsession with horror films

Bethan Morgan

I used to hate horror films, and would refuse to watch them as I didn’t understand why anyone would want to scare themselves on purpose. But now I love them, and I will even watch them by myself. So what is it about them that makes us keep watching?

To be completely honest, I will still have a cushion nearby to cover my face for particularly bad parts, but I enjoy watching them nonetheless. My sister is exactly the same, and we always watch a scary film together whenever we stay with each other. But as a rule we have to watch something ‘happy’ afterwards to take our minds off it. The question is: do we actually enjoy watching horror films?

I think we do. It’s like going on a rollercoaster when you don’t really like them – you do it for the rush of adrenaline that comes from being scared without actually being in danger. As I truly am scared of rollercoasters, watching horror films is my way of experiencing this. And it is entertaining, especially if it is a film you haven’t seen before – you can try and guess what’s going to happen, although that isn’t always easy and more often than not something will make you jump.

I recently sat down by myself to watch a film called ‘The Strangers’ which involves a group of people with terrifying masks attacking a couple’s house. For some reason I had to keep pausing the video and doing something else, like checking emails or reading a bit of my book. I don’t know what it was that made it different to all the other horror films I have watched, but I just couldn’t bring myself to press the play button. (I did watch the second half a few days later and wondered why I hadn’t just seen it all the first night)

So perhaps as I am getting older my tolerance of horror films is getting lower and lower, or maybe I just felt more scared than usual that day. Either way, I know I will continue to scare myself (as long as I watch something cheerful afterwards!) 

Do you like horror films? What is it that you like/don't like about them?

hermione123's picture
hermione123 16 January, 2021 - 14:05

I don't like horror films at all. Why? Because it's too scary for me. I've tried to watch a horror film, but i just couldn't help but watched it. Usually i ended up getting easily scared. Or, felt uncomfortable.

1 user has voted.
ilhamdi's picture
ilhamdi 23 April, 2016 - 08:32

especially my country horror I don't ever like anymore. I like horror movie from japan, china, korean, little bit american

ilhamdi's picture
ilhamdi 23 April, 2016 - 08:29

I agree with this article. actually this happen to me, when I feel boring I used to watch horror movie. especially when I was child. But today may be that habit will come :D

hadia 8 October, 2015 - 15:52

Hi LearnEnglishTeensTeam!
Can youplease tell me how to bookmark an article or blog her??? I don't know how to do it....
Thanks :)

JoEditor's picture
JoEditor 9 October, 2015 - 06:12

Hi hadia,
We don't have a bookmarking system within our site, but there are lots of bookmarking tools on the internet that are free to use. The one I use at the moment is called diigo: https://www.diigo.com/ 
I hope that helps. Best wishes, Jo (LearnEnglish Teens Team) 

hadia 9 October, 2015 - 09:43

Hi JoEditor!
Thanks a lot for your help! I just asked it because whenever I open my account there's an option of bookmarks with other things like track points bookmarks etc in this way but it's clear now so thanks a lot! :)))))

iva10 1 October, 2015 - 14:54

I love to watch horror movies.I watched so far :child's play,the new daughter,am a legend.I like to watch them because am not scared.It's very hard to scare me.

CoolPink's picture
CoolPink 8 October, 2015 - 17:03

I like to watch horror movies too. For me they are similar ACTION because they are always on the move. I am very glad I have found this site a person from my country. Which city do you live and what school are you going?

IloveallinConan's picture
IloveallinConan 1 July, 2015 - 13:19

I hate horror movies because it brings many images of horror and terrible, made me cold feet and could not sleep well for about 2- 3 days after I saw it.
(I like school life movie more horror movie.) But I'm not sure how to compare in English, please show me. thanks a lot.

Crystallized's picture
Crystallized 11 April, 2014 - 21:52

I like watching horror movies. Especially at night, when I'm home alone.
If it's a good movie, then it will scar me for life. (I think that's why I'm never scared while watching these movies. Lately all I've been watching are the cliche flicks with no originality whatsoever. But I've learned the hard way that most of the films in this genre are like that.)

cklj's picture
cklj 30 March, 2014 - 20:02

No I don't like horror films and sometimes I'm asking myself why people love watching horror films. I hate those films because there's a lot of bad things in them and horrible scenes like murders. To be honest I haven't watched any horror film before and I'm not planning to.

dzeni 5 March, 2014 - 13:09

I hate horror films. Whenever I watch horror film I regret it. After watching a horror film I can`t sleep. I am scared and then everything what I see or hear is creepy.

1 user has voted.
hermione123's picture
hermione123 18 January, 2021 - 23:11

Hi, dzeni
Yes, I know! I feel it too every time I watch horror films. That's why i don't want to watch any horror films again :)

1 user has voted.
CoolPink's picture
CoolPink 8 October, 2015 - 17:08

You do not have anything to be afraid of horror movies, because they actually like some scary cartoon for children in stages where the main characters are witches and monsters. You need to face your fear. :)

Eljan's picture
Eljan 26 January, 2014 - 19:32

My parents don't let me watch horror films. Because when i little I watch horror films and i afraid everything in evening. Even i afraid enter other room.

1 user has voted.
SARAH K's picture
SARAH K 26 December, 2013 - 17:50

I don't like horror fimls because they are made to scary people. I can not really understand where does people find the magic part of a this genre of films.

Ash94's picture
Ash94 21 November, 2013 - 13:07

Hi all,
I see two kinds of horror movies in the world. Some movies are just artificial and only made by according to an idea of a human being. I enjoy watching them very much because afterwards I can easily make my mind off. The other kind is real horror movies. They are made by according to a real incident happened in the society. I totally hate watching them because we can never make our mind off from the movie as we truly know that it is a real. I resonantly watched a horror movie like that called "Paranormal activities".Afterwards I couldn't have a complete sleep for about a month.
Please correct if you see any errors.
Thank you, Ash

Hanyc's picture
Hanyc 23 October, 2013 - 15:31

I don't like horror films.The last time I saw one when I was six.After the film I couldn't even stay alone in a room whitout anyone..... I love Comedy and Action films, but I dont mind watching a horror now that I am a teenager.... :P

saba's picture
saba 4 September, 2013 - 10:10

guys i watched a really cool horor movie last night it was HOUSE OF WAX it was terrifiying and incredibely scary!!!if u r a fan of scary movies u should watch it :)

merlin's picture
merlin 11 August, 2013 - 17:36

I don t like horror movies for the only reason they scary me but sometimes with my friends i watch this movies cuz we turn everything in fun

AHMED_K's picture
AHMED_K 11 August, 2013 - 14:08

I don't like horror films at all because they full of blood and violence and they usually have sad end i also can't understand why does anybody want to scare himself?

te-ufo's picture
te-ufo 10 August, 2013 - 23:04

I love horror films :-) They´re great. I like to be scared...Have you ever seen "The Ring" ? It is really cool :-)
What is your favourite horror film?

goodgirl's picture
goodgirl 8 August, 2013 - 00:35

i love horrors films but i love watching them with my familly ones i watched an horror film but realstory i become so scared and since that day i refuses to sleep alone

MALINE 3 August, 2013 - 18:35

I don´t like horror films because when I was a child my classmates used to scare me and I think I never could
pull myself together.Altough I enjoy thrillers my favourite series is Criminal Minds.

MALINE 3 August, 2013 - 18:31

watching something nice is an excellent tip otrherwise you´ll have nightmares,the last thing you see it will be reflected in your dreams so watching or doing something pleasant helps you to sleep faster and calm.

SARAH K's picture
SARAH K 2 August, 2013 - 18:40

No I do not like horror films. When I was younger I used to see them because my dad or my uncle used to see them, but I have realised that they have a real bad effect in my mind. I can not get it but all my world becomes a big troble for a short time after seeing a horror film.

serap's picture
serap 11 July, 2013 - 17:48

I hate horror film. They make me scared and worried. When I watch them I can't sleep and i think bad things all the time. So i don't watch them, i try to not watch

Toma English's picture
Toma English 4 July, 2013 - 00:38

No I don't like them much ,, when I watch one I feel something wrong in my nervous system