A recipe to make scones

8
DaisyB

It may not be the weather for it but you can never beat sitting down with a homemade scone and a nice cup of tea (milk and no sugar, of course). An intense debate occurs in England regarding the correct pronunciation: does scone rhyme with gone, or does it rhyme with tone? Both are correct to use, but the latter is associated with the South of England. Personally, I use them both depending on my mood! Whilst each family has their own traditional recipe, I’ve always used that from a recipe book which is older than I am! Since I can’t make them due to my lack of oven, why don’t you give it a go?

You will need
A greased baking tray
A large bowl
A rolling pin
A wooden spoon
Something to cut even circles with

Ingredients
225g self-raising flour
Pinch of salt
50g margarine or butter
25g sugar
50g currants (optional - but tasty!)
1 egg, beaten with enough milk to make 150ml of liquid

Method
1. Heat oven to 220°C, Gas Mark 7.
2. Mix flour, and salt, rub in margarine and stir in sugar and fruit.
3. Add egg mixture and milk, reserving a little for brushing the tops.
4. Knead lightly on a floured surface and roll out to 1cm in thickness.
5. Cut into rounds. Re-roll the trimmings and cut again until you can't anymore.
6. Brush the tops with the egg mixture and bake for around 10 minutes.

Enjoy them with a pot of tea, jam, and clotted cream. If you have any questions let me know!

Do you enjoy baking? Have you ever tried scones before?

iva10 23 November, 2015 - 17:18

No,i cooked just once and it was really bad(i forgot to put sugar)and the cupcakes if i can call them that were harder that a stone.

DaisyB's picture
DaisyB 24 November, 2015 - 11:20

Hi! That's a shame, I hate it when I miss something out. I forgot to use the right flour once and couldn't figure out why my cupcakes tasted funny!

hadia 23 November, 2015 - 14:39

Yummmmmm!!!!! that's really yummy! Thanks for the recipe :))) I loved it :))) I love baking with my Mom :))

DaisyB's picture
DaisyB 24 November, 2015 - 11:19

Hi! I'm glad you enjoyed it, scones are one of my favourite things to bake! What do you like baking?

hadia 30 November, 2015 - 11:40

Hi DaisyB!
Thanks a lot for reading and replying to my comment :)) Well, I don't know how to bake but my mother do...........She usually makes choco cookies for us and........................... ''Puddings"! She's best at it :)) She also makes Cakes....................they taste the best :)))))))

DaisyB's picture
DaisyB 1 December, 2015 - 01:08

Hi Hadia :)

No problem! Maybe you could get your mum to teach you if you are interested in learning  how to bake! I love the smell of freshly baked cookies in the kitchen!

hadia 1 December, 2015 - 14:19

Oh Yeah! She'd be glad if I'll tell her this.............................Hm......Well their smell is really yummy :)))