Recipe: Mars Bar Cakes

31
JohnM

Writing about French pâtisseries in my previous article has inspired me to share with you a collection of 'fridge cake' recipes. These are very simple and easy to make – no oven needed. 

I'll begin with 'mars bar cakes'. These are very popular in Scotland. They're great for parties or if you feel like something sweet. Many recipes are available but this is my mum's own recipe.

You will need 
A large baking tray    
A large bowl    
A small pot or microwave bowl  
A wooden spoon

Ingredients
4 Mars bars
75g butter
200g Rice Krispies (or cereal equivalent)
Large bar of chocolate

Preparation
Grease the baking tray with spare butter or oil.

Method
1. Melt the Mars bars and the butter together in small pot (or microwave). Stir well with the wooden spoon.
2. Put the cereal in a large bowl. Pour the melted mixture into bowl. Mix together with wooden spoon.
3. Empty the bowl onto the prepared baking tray. Flatten the contents with the wooden spoon.
4. Put the tray in the fridge and leave to set for 30 minutes.
5. Melt a large bar of chocolate (at least). Pour the chocolate over the cake.
6. Leave the chocolate to harden (not in fridge) for 30 minutes.
7. Cut the cake into squares, serve and enjoy!

Let me know if you have any questions.

Bon appétit!

Have you got a favourite recipe? Tell us about it here.

KLEA B's picture
KLEA B 22 August, 2013 - 22:25

No i don't have that's why i want your recipes.Believe me when i say that thank god i know how to fry some potatoes or boil an egg. HAHAHAHAHAAA

KLEA B's picture
KLEA B 9 August, 2013 - 22:03

John you're a great cooker. I am waiting for another recipe because the both of yours recipes were delicious!!

MALINE 20 July, 2013 - 18:19

We don´t have Mars bars,here is a different brand, thanks for the explenation.See you

MALINE 14 July, 2013 - 17:51

hi John it sounds delicious but I´ve got a question what Mars bars are?.
My favourite recipe is "arroz con leche",it´s a dessert you only need rice,milk,eveporeted milk and condensated milk.
First, you have to wash the rice in a bowl with water and wash it untill the water came out clear.
Next,you add some water,just to cover the rice and once the water has evaporated ( but be careful of not burning the rice) add the milk and mix it for about 45 minutes,you can´t stop movinh it otherwise it will get burned.
After that, you have to add the condensated milk and the evaporated milk and keep mixing for another 25 minutes until the rice is cooked.
You have two options you can eat it hot or wait to cool down,I personally preffer it cold with a slide of bread it tastes awesome.

JohnM's picture
JohnM 14 July, 2013 - 21:42

Hi MALINE - thanks for the recipe!
Here's a link on Mars bars: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mars_(chocolate_bar)
Basically, just chocolate, caramel and nougat! Mars bars are popular in the UK but are also available worldwide. Maybe in Mexico? You could always use an equivalent bar with chocolate and caramel.
I hope this helps :)
John

Jona's picture
Jona 21 June, 2013 - 17:00

My favorite recipe is tiramisu. I found the recipe online.l can't cook it but my Mom does and every time she does my mouth waters :)

Jo - Coordinator's picture
Jo - Coordinator 22 June, 2013 - 11:51

Wow, Jona, my mouth is watering right now, I love Tiramisu! I couldn't publish the recipe because it was copied from anther website - please remember to only write comments that are your original work. Can you learn the recipe and write it in your own words? That would be fantastic. Happy cooking/ eating!

Joanna (learnEnglish Teens Team)

Jona's picture
Jona 22 June, 2013 - 19:44

Thank you Jo.This is the recipe:
TIRAMISU
Ingredients (for 6 serves)
-570 ml pot double cream
-250 g mascarpone
-75 ml Marsala
-5 tbsp golden caster sugar
-300 ml cold espresso (or strong coffee made with 2 tbsp coffee granules and 300 ml boiling water)
-175 g pack ladyfingers
-25 g chunk dark chocolate
-cocoa powder
Method
-Firstly, put the cream,mascarpone,Marsala and sugar in a large bowl and whisk until the cream and mascarpone have completely combined together and you a thick whipped cream.
-Get your serving dish ready.Then put the coffee into a shallow dish and dip in a few ladyfingers at a time,turning for a few secs until they are nicely soaked but not soggy.Layer these into your dish until you have used half of the ]ladyfingers,then spread half of the creamy mixture.Using the coarse side of the grater ,grate over most of the chocolate .Then repeat the layers(you should use up all the coffee),finishing with the creamy layer.
-Cover and chill for a couple of hours or overnight.To serve,dust with cocoa powder(and if like,grate over the remainder of the chocolate.

Jo - Coordinator's picture
Jo - Coordinator 23 June, 2013 - 10:22

Thanks Jona! I'll have to try this recipe. It looks great.
Joanna (LearnEnglish Teens Team)

Natalija 18 June, 2013 - 17:29

Hi, annahedd:)
Thanks for your reply.
Tulumba is a dessert, and it derives from Turkish cuisine, but it's quite popular here in Serbia, because Serbia was under Ottoman rule for centuries, so we took it from them. It's made from batter and some other ingredients, but I can't remember them, and sweet syrup poured over it while it's still hot. I like it, but it's very sweet and tough sometimes. Baklava is the best:).
Greetings:)

Jona's picture
Jona 21 June, 2013 - 16:51

l agree with you.Tulumba is quite popular in my country too but as you sad it's rough.Baklava is the cream of the crop.

annahedd's picture
annahedd 18 June, 2013 - 13:02

No , Nataljia, I've never even heard of it XP.But I would like to .Tell me about it .Is it a Serbian traditional meal or what?
My love <3

Natalija 18 June, 2013 - 08:39

Hi, annahedd:)
I tasted baklava many times, it's quite popular here in Serbia. I like to eat it, it's very delicious.
Greetings from Serbia:)

annahedd's picture
annahedd 17 June, 2013 - 18:08

Yes I have many favorite recipes ...but the one on the top is the Baklawa
I think you've heard about it before ...
It's basically layers of filo pastry filled with peanuts or amends...and cut into squares ..
It's really delicious.

ellen's picture
ellen 16 June, 2013 - 18:01

yes, i have got many favorite recipe.
it is my cake recipe:
4 eggs
4 sugar
1 l milk
1 cup butter
kapartma and vanilla
and mixer mix.
it is very nice cake .
I always its cooking
everyone likes.

Elana's picture
Elana 17 June, 2013 - 08:48

Hi Ellen,
Thanks for sharing your recipe! I had two questions. How much sugar - 4 cups? tablespoons? Also, what is kapartma? 
Elana (LearnEnglish Teens Team)

Natalija 13 June, 2013 - 20:34

Yes, I have. It's the recipe for reforma cake(Serbian cake, the most delicious cake in the world). I don't know the recipe, because my Mom always prepares it for me, but I know ingredients-nuts, lots of chocolate, butter, sugar, eggs etc. I had this cake for my birthday a few years ago, Mom always prepare it for that day, and my friends praised it so much. I recommend you all to taste this cake, it's the best:).