What is ART?

24
GraceE

Many people used to consider art to be paintings of fields with flowers, portraits of old-fashioned men in top hats, or pictures of bowls of fruit. However, art has changed drastically in the last century. Now, we accept everything as art. Computer game art, graffiti and video projections are accepted as types of art forms. Famous London art galleries like Tate Modern or Tate Britain often exhibit these contemporary categories of art. Let's discover some famous contemporary artists:

Have you heard of Banksy?
Banksy is a famous British graffiti artist from Bristol. He creates all his art in secret - in fact, no one knows his real name! Often, his paintings have a sense of humour behind them and he usually paints about controversial issues. You can see his art on walls, in zoos, on the street.

Have you heard of Hirst?
Damien Hirst is also from Great Britain. He is the richest artist in the country. He became famous after attending Goldsmiths University in London, and was very popular in the 1990s. He has used a lot of dead animals in his work, including dead sharks, sheep and cows. He is popular for his diamond-covered skull, which was shown in an art gallery for a limited amount of time.

Have you heard of Duchamp?
Marcel Duchamp was a French-American painter and sculptor. He is considered to be one of the most important artists of the 20th century as he has influenced many artists. He changed what was the 'normal' idea in the art world. Perhaps his most popular piece of work is simply a men's urinal that he decided to label as art. He did nothing to it. He didn't paint it, he didn't make it, he didn't alter it. He saw it and decided to call it 'Fountain'.

Have you heard of Eggleston?
William Eggleston is an American photographer who made modern colour photography acceptable as an art form. Before him, black and white photography was more popular. Eggleston's photographs are very 'American'. They contain lots of images of 'Coca-Cola, No Parking signs and palm trees'.

Do you have a favourite painting or a favourite artist? Tell us about them.

kaniza's picture
kaniza 12 February, 2017 - 17:54

Art is something to express yourself. When you are sad you take a paintbrush and you start drawing something to feel better or to communicate an idea. When I paint I invent an image to express something that is happening.
Not surprisingly, my grandad is a painter. He told me that to do a portrait I must measure the proportions of the face. For example, the mouth, the nose, the eyes etc.
I like Picasso because his painting are normal portraits with abstract things. Picasso said "Art washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life". I agree!

iva10 14 June, 2015 - 13:13

My favorite picture is twelve sunflowers which painted Vinsent van high.And I'm a good artist to

jovanbeast90's picture
jovanbeast90 1 March, 2015 - 10:59

i like art, but its kinda slower than dalvik...get it? Android Runtime Evironment and dalvik...

Jo - Coordinator's picture
Jo - Coordinator 1 March, 2015 - 13:37

Haha, good one jovanbeast90! I do get it now - had to do a bit of research first. I like it!

Joanna
(LearnEnglish Teens team)

PinkyPay's picture
PinkyPay 30 November, 2014 - 14:37

-Well,my favorite artist is Vincent Van Gogh and his painting ,,Starry Night''. It's amazing! I like his style of painting,colors that he used and the scenes that he painted.
-I love art! Art is my thing,it's the best way to express myself and show my abilities! And I think that anyone can paint,no mater talent and skills,but that doesn't mean that you will be accepted. ^^

Chan's picture
Chan 30 June, 2014 - 10:52

I love art.It's one of my favorite subjects. I can draw well. My favorite artist is Leonardo da Vinci.

Ganesdita's picture
Ganesdita 15 June, 2014 - 10:46

No, I don't. My friends said that I was good at painting as my teacher always gives me the good mark in the art class. But surprisingly, I don't like painting at all..

Harabeli Supersweet 20 March, 2014 - 18:59

Yes, I do. Disney is my favourite artist. He was a painter too and many characters are designed by him. Mickey Mouse is the most popular of them. Diamond-covered skull of Hirst is pretty cool. I like to draw and paint too. I think that temporary art is so hard to understand. We'll never know the exact meaning of an art work.

Fatime143's picture
Fatime143 7 February, 2014 - 11:14

Pictorial art is one of my favourite types of art.My favourite artist is Sattar Behlulzade.I wish i could see all his pictures some day.

nemet55's picture
nemet55 20 January, 2014 - 07:25

Yep I've. He's Pablo Picasso. Full name: Pablo Diego José Francisco de Paula Juan Nepomuceno María de los Remedios Cipriano de la Santísima Trinidad Ruiz y Picasso. I've been in he's house in USA.

Niluh 14 January, 2014 - 13:00

No, i don't have any favourite paintings. I'm not really interested in art especially in painting and i am not talented in it. All my buddies enjoy painting, they used to take art class in extracurricular when i was the only one who didn't interest with it.

Natalija 13 January, 2014 - 15:16

I have many favourite artists. I like French impressionists the best. I adore Auguste Renoir and Claude Monet, and Spanish artist Diego Velazquez.
My favourite English artist is Louis Wain. He painted cats and it was his main theme. He was so original and his paintings so interesting. He suffered from schizophrenia.
I like art very much, but I'm not talented for painting. I wish I could paint.