When I was young...

23
DanielT

When I was young, I dreamed of becoming many things. Sometimes, I wished I was an astronaut going up into space, finding new planets and jumping around in a cool space suit. Other times, I imagined being a cowboy in the Wild West, having gun fights and wearing stylish cowboy boots. On other occasions, I pretended to be a famous footballer, using my skills to score lots of goals for my favourite team and for England too. I loved being able to play the role of somebody, even just for a short time, to try to realise what it might be like to walk in their shoes.

Looking back, I realise that the imagination is a wonderful thing. I was able to create entire environments and scenarios in my head, using nothing more than my brain, and to be able to adapt things in my everyday surroundings to fit the specific story of the day. Growing up with siblings also helped, as it meant that even bigger stories could be created, combining our ideas and putting our thoughts into action. It also allowed for more variety in the stories, as sometimes I could be the hero while on other occasions, I would be the bad guy.

One of my all-time favourite memories as a kid was recreating the Indiana Jones character in my back garden. I played the role of Indiana Jones, with my younger sister as my assistant and my brother as the villain. We used everything in our garden, from the path to the patio, and the hedge to the fence, as part of the storyline to create obstacles that needed to be overcome, and we would keep the story going for hours!

My personal favourite was Indiana Jones and the Stolen Easter Eggs, where my brother hid small chocolate eggs around the garden and my sister and I had to find them by answering questions or solving a puzzle. It was difficult, but eventually we found all the eggs and shared them together.

Since then, I have seen many great things and met many amazing people, but my imagination is still strong and always will be. The elements of fun and variety of my imagination are something I try to bring into every part of my life, and I enjoy sharing with and hearing about other people's stories too.

What did you dream of becoming when you were younger? Do you think those dreams will ever be possible to achieve?

alicj's picture
alicj 16 September, 2014 - 17:55

when i was young i dreamed to be a football player but the proplem i dont have any qualification to make this dream real

miguelmora's picture
miguelmora 12 May, 2014 - 04:20

I really liked the article, that when I grow up I will realize my dreams have changed a lot of small and life not as we thought it would be

DanielT's picture
DanielT 17 May, 2014 - 03:29

Thank you for your kind comment Miguelmora! Do you have any dreams right now, because maybe some dreams will stay with you always!

DanielT's picture
DanielT 23 March, 2014 - 04:34

I don't think it matters what age you are, it's still possible to dream and to have targets to aim for!

justcricketforme 26 January, 2014 - 03:27

I used dream of being a doctor to cure flu. I can achive it but now I have other intrests.

Niluh 23 January, 2014 - 16:05

I dreamed of becoming a well-known actress, i made my own story and started acting in front of mirror. I pretended that i stared in many films and awarded as the best actress in Oscar. Becoming a news anchor and reporter were also my dream when i was child, i was reporting live and interviewing people about what their opinion.

ellen's picture
ellen 21 January, 2014 - 09:27

When I was young, I dreamed of becoming many things.
For example, It also allowed for more variety in the stories, as sometimes I could be the hero while on other occasions, I would be the bad guy.I dreamed to be firstly famous singer.
I enjoy sharing with and hearing about other people's stories too.
I try to bring into every part of my life

DanielT's picture
DanielT 23 January, 2014 - 19:03

Thank you for your response! It`s great to hear that you had similar experiences growing up too!