Who cares about the Oscars?

8
NicolaD

The Oscar nominees for 2016 have been announced, but do we really care? On the 28th of February this year, the Academy Awards will be presented to actors, actresses, directors, musicians and many more people. They will be told that they are ‘the best’ in their respective categories and we, the audience, will be persuaded that this is true.

This year, the nominations for Best Picture include Bridge of Spies, Mad Max: Fury Road and The Revenant. According to many people, these are great movies, as are the cast who bring the stories to life. Whoever wins the awards for Best Actor and Best Actress will automatically become (or remain) a Hollywood star.

However, just because Leonardo DiCaprio has never won an Oscar (yet!), that doesn't mean that his films aren’t amazing. I only need to mention Titanic, Inception, and The Wolf of Wall Street and you can clearly see that he is a fantastic actor. Oh, and of course, let’s not forget Romeo and Juliet.

Don’t get me wrong, I am not saying that those who win Academy Awards are not talented people. They most certainly are talented. What I mean is that I don’t think we should define films and actors by how many awards they have in their cabinets.  After all, at this year’s Golden Globe Awards, Ricky Gervais compared the prizes to ‘a doorstop’ and told the celebrity nominees to ‘remember that no one cares about that award as much as you do’.

So let’s not judge films purely based on what the critics say. If you want to know how good a movie really is, go and watch it!

Do you think a film is better if it has won an award?

Johott03's picture
Johott03 6 November, 2016 - 12:30

No, I do not think that a film is better if it has won an award. I have seen many films that haven´t gotten any prices, but I still think they have been good.

BubblyUnicorn16's picture
BubblyUnicorn16 26 October, 2016 - 17:11

Yeah Leonardo DiCaprio is a great actor! The movies that he is in are great as well. But even though an actor/actress doesn't need an award to be great, an award (and the money they earn) helps them become recognized for their hard work.

ann02's picture
ann02 27 September, 2016 - 19:14

Maybe. Because not all films are good if they have an award. But if the film has an award it is a benefit to it. Different people have different preferences. So different people like different films. But film that have an award have it because judges chose it from the professional side. The award is important in the film industry, but for ordinary people it is not so important.

cklj's picture
cklj 7 February, 2016 - 19:28

If one film has won an award, it might be better that some other film, but that doesn't necessarily mean that it's an extraordinary film. When I choose which film to watch I don't pay much attention to the awards a certain film has won. I like to watch new films, as well as old famous classics. For one film to be considered a good film, the whole image has to be complete: the story, good actors that can identify with their characters, the music, the costumes etc. And at the end of the day, one film can be experienced in 100 different ways by 100 different people and everyone has a right to have their own opinion, whether it is positive or negative. These awards are very important in the film industry and it's an incredible honor for one movie to win an Oscar, so I think that most people use these awards to determine how successful one film is.

BigBen6464's picture
BigBen6464 28 January, 2016 - 15:27

I don't judge the film by how many Oscars it has won. It's just a better way to make my mum let me go to watch the premiere.

sona's picture
sona 20 January, 2016 - 17:04

No I don't think a film is better if it has an award. People has very different preferences and is known that the best film is in fact the most favourited. This doesn't mean that is preferenced from the all people,because as you know:"One man's meat is another man's poison".This also depends on the money,the advertisments,well known actors. For example,I have seen wonderful films,but they aren't choosen best film,because of the money. In addition,I think that being the best should be relative and not an absolute thing.