Why I’m still bewitched by Harry Potter

5
ElizabethBlogger

Picture the scene. It is the middle of the night and an excited little girl is waiting in a long queue outside a bookshop. She is wearing long black robes, a pointy witch's hat and is clutching a wooden stick. Standing next to her is a man dressed in a tattered overcoat, a fake beard and boots. Pumpkins, toy owls and glowing lanterns are hanging in the bookshop window ...

If you hadn’t guessed, the little girl is of course me, and the man is my dad. It is June 2003 and we are waiting in line at midnight for J.K. Rowling’s latest Harry Potter book, dressed up as Harry Potter's best friend, the bookworm Hermione, and the lovable giant, Hagrid. We both love Harry Potter and have queued up for every new film and book in costume with all the other fans. The Harry Potter series was an enormous part of my childhood. Whenever I met a new friend, one of the first questions I asked was 'Do you like Harry Potter?' I spent my weekends brewing potions using old bottles of shampoo and looking for sticks in my garden that would make good wands; I even waited by the letterbox on my eleventh birthday, hoping I would receive an invitation to Hogwarts by owl post!

As an adult, I still adore Harry Potter and have visited the film studios in London three times! So, when J.K. Rowling announced that the wizarding world would be returning to the big screen, I could hardly contain my excitement! Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them is set in 1920s New York. It tells the story of the wizard Newt Scamander, a former Hogwarts student, who travels the world collecting magical creatures in his briefcase. The film was released in November, and as I am currently working in France, I went to watch it in French! The film is excellent; the special effects are very convincing, the soundtrack is beautiful and I loved all the magical creatures (my favourite was the mischievous niffler, a weasel-like animal with a love for shiny things!). Luckily for Potter fans, J.K. Rowling has announced that there will be five more Fantastic Beasts films; I'm counting down the days until the next one ...

Do you have a favourite book or film series?

MishkaStarMan's picture
MishkaStarMan 11 December, 2016 - 10:13

The Benefits of Reading
To start with, we need to think why do we read:
• We want to discover new worlds
• Learn something new
• Experience something incredible, impossible.
Then I want to tell you my story of reading, why do I think that reading is significant and why you should read everyday.
So my story begins from the age of 6, because it is the moment when I start reading a lot. Before that there were some books but they were not so interesting at that moment.
Firstly, my dad bought me book that has changed my life and the title of the book is “Harry Potter” . The world of magic, loyalty, friendship, family, creatures has surprised me. I have never realised that the book can be so interesting, and from that moment to nowadays I am reading different books, written by different authors.
Furthermore, level of native language was increased 10 times, there was no necessity in learning rules because I memorised all the words and rules from books.
In my opinion, the next generations will read digital books not the paper ones.
Sure, when you read you are self-developing and your brain is working. In addition to that, you will realise that you know much more than 80% of the world and that feeling is amazing.
In conclusion, reading has got a dozen of benefits and that is why you shoul read them everyday for 30 minutes or even more.
Have a good day. And read books wherever, whenever you can!!!

baroonmlk's picture
baroonmlk 2 December, 2016 - 16:14

my favourite books are absoloutly harry potter books . so just the same as the writer of this article , i went overboard when i heard there is another book coming ( harry potter and the cursed child ) . but unfortunately i didn't find it as enjoyable as the previous books and to be honest i was frustrated somehow . so i really , really hope fantastic beasts' to be much better.
but still , one of my biggest dreams is to have an autographed harry potter book and to ss mrs j.k.rowling autographing it !!!

Ran's picture
Ran 29 November, 2016 - 14:58

wow, you are too lucky to meet J.K.Rowling. If only I could but I can't because the long distance :(.. You may say that I crazy but I want to have wedding photos about Harry Potter with my future husband hahaha. I want to hold magic wand and wear wizarding robes in wizarding world view. That's so awesome. Do you think I'm mad? ^^