Fashion

Clothes shopping on a budget!

70
TeresaC

Like many girls, I absolutely love clothes shopping! But, as a student, I don’t have a lot of money to keep up with the latest fashion trends. 

Especially when it comes to vintage clothes, which are in fashion at the moment - I can’t afford many things in vintage shops. I like to look on eBay, but I find it difficult to buy clothes online because they don’t always fit well when they arrive. I like to always try on clothes in the shop before I buy them - it makes each shopping trip much more fun!

In England, we have shops called ‘charity shops’, where people donate their old clothes, shoes, books, CDs, DVDs, and children's toys and games. In America, they are called ‘thrift shops’ - which you may know from Macklemore’s hit song! I love these shops, because you can often find a bargain - brand new clothes with the tags still on them, or real vintage items which haven’t got a big price tag!

The only downside to charity shopping is that you have to search through everything in the shop, which can take a lot of time. Also, sometimes it is disappointing - I have searched for hours before and not found a single thing to buy! But I find this with big department stores in shopping centres too, so perhaps it is just occasional bad luck! The majority of the time, however, I have found some bargains, and saved lots of money! In the past, I have found lovely handbags, new shoes, hardly-worn clothes, and some fantastic second-hand books and DVDs at a fraction of the price that you’d find in a normal shop. And the best part about charity shopping is that the money goes to a good cause! 

Do you like shopping? How do you keep up with the latest fashion trends? 

catastrophe's picture
catastrophe 15 June, 2017 - 11:39

Ugh, shopping is so annoying! I do like to keep up with the latest trends, but I'm a bit of a tomboy, so I think shopping is really irritating. My mom always window shops, and I hang back with my dad most of the time. I shop only when it is necessary. :))#

Mataco's picture
Mataco 15 September, 2015 - 03:22

I like go shopping but I don't go very often because I haven't much money to buy. I don't keep up with the latest fashion trends because I think isn't very important, I buy clothes I like and comfortable.

mmaf98's picture
mmaf98 10 September, 2015 - 17:22

I like having new clothes, but I don't like buying them, haha. I just keep up with the latest fashion trends for tv, I'm not really interested on it.

tamyy's picture
tamyy 28 August, 2015 - 20:18

I love shopping, I buy what I like, and nothing else. Therefore I do not follow the latest fashion trends .

nefesh97's picture
nefesh97 27 August, 2015 - 21:58

Of course. I love shopping, especially love shopping with my mum, becouse we like the same. I don't keep up with the latest fashion trends becouse it isn't important to me. I buy what I like really, nothing more.

NMemmedova's picture
NMemmedova 14 March, 2014 - 17:38

I like shopping and fashion...... İ like trousers...İI don't like costume.:)))))))))

cklj's picture
cklj 12 February, 2014 - 20:55

Of course I do love shopping. I think we all love the feeling when you have just bought something new for yourself or someone else. I especially love shopping with my mum and my sister in the mall. I don't always keep with the fashion trends, because I have my own style. But, I always try to look pretty and to be well dressed.

purpledyeflick's picture
purpledyeflick 24 January, 2014 - 03:08

Wow! That was incredibly a good idea. I agree that shopping really needs some budget especially if you're into vintage style. However, I think if young people do some canvasing or searching sale items, this will really be a good opportunity. To buy on a charity for a good cause is a great job. You satisfy your shopping habit for a minimal cost and at the same time you were able to share something to others.

cranberry's picture
cranberry 16 December, 2013 - 17:56

I love shopping. I`m quit the sporty tipe so i often wear tracksuits and trainer. But I love wearing cute dressed, skirts, jeans too. I have my own style in I dont like following trends becouse i want to stand out and be original. When people go shoppin with me they have to wait a long time becouse " I shop till` i drop".

dancelover's picture
dancelover 16 December, 2013 - 14:21

Hey everyone!:) I also love fashion and new trends. In my country(Greece), we have big malls and many shops where you can find a huge variety of the latest clothes. But, sometimes these clothes are expensive, so I prefer to buy some on sales. if you have 'in' clothes, means that you're fashionable. But, we have to be ourselves and to wear clothes that they're fit in! ;) <33

TeresaC's picture
TeresaC 16 December, 2013 - 15:09

Hi dancelover! I love shopping in the sales too - I'm excited for January, because lots of shops have sales after Christmas so I can get some bargains! Whats your favourite thing to buy when you go shopping? 

dancelover's picture
dancelover 20 December, 2013 - 06:39

Hey Teresa:) Yeah, i think that shopping on sales is better ;) Hmm, I don't know .. I prefer to buy T-shirts and especially jeans! And yours?!

FaTSheeP's picture
FaTSheeP 9 December, 2013 - 14:04

In Hong Kong, there are no charity shops. When i saw a favorite clothes that is over budget, i just can watch it outside the windows. :(

Niluh 6 December, 2013 - 05:46

Hi Teresa! Good luck in London Marathon :) Yes, i and my friend like going to bookstore not cause we're nerd but we go for having fun! My friend loves drawing, she buys many books about how to draw manga. She hopes to be comic writer one day. We usually go to bakery eating some bread after shopping

Natalija 5 December, 2013 - 19:57

I adore shoppping, who doesn't? :-) I like shopping once in a while, like once a month, and I try to keep up with the latest trends by reading fashion magazines, like Elle, and by going to fashion shows once in a while. My fetish are dresses, I have so many of them. I think we should be modern and follow trends, but not to buy everything that's currently "in"because it doesn't mean it's really pretty and worth wearing.

Niluh 3 December, 2013 - 07:09

Hi Teresa! I do agree with you, i just lost my ring last week, what a pity! I saved up all my money for buying it, but i lost it :( I usually go shopping with my mom, mom is a good at bargaining. I can get lower cost for something i buy cause i have her in my side. I like playing badminton, i play it with my sister in Saturday and Sunday. Do you like playing sports too?

TeresaC's picture
TeresaC 3 December, 2013 - 08:34

Hi Niluh! I'm sorry to hear that you lost your ring! I like to go shopping with my mum too, because sometimes she will buy me something as a treat! I'm not very good at badminton, but I love running. In April next year I'm going to run the London Marathon! Do you like shopping for things other than clothes? 

Niluh 2 December, 2013 - 13:51

Hi Teresa, thanks for replying :) I like to buy some clothes like skirt, t-shirt and jeans, but i never spend my money on accessories. So, how about you?

TeresaC's picture
TeresaC 2 December, 2013 - 14:57

Hi Niluh! I love buying skirts, t-shirts and jeans too! At the moment, I like to buy jumpers and thick socks because it's very cold!! I don't like buying accessories either, because I often lose or break bracelets and necklaces. Who do you like to go shopping with? Do you go shopping often? What else do you like to do in your spare time? 

comigenije's picture
comigenije 1 December, 2013 - 15:36

I love shopping and I always do my best to look amazing.I love malls!I go trough every store and I really enjoy trying all that clothes.My favourite things to buy are dresses and shoes.But,of course it's always good to have jeans or something like that...I'm not a type of a girl that has to buy something just because it's expensive,but it also has to fit me well.I don't know...shopping is one of my favourite things to do and I could do it for a whole day...:)

TeresaC's picture
TeresaC 1 December, 2013 - 18:04

Hi there! I love shopping malls too - trying on the clothes is all part of the experience! I regularly spend a whole day shopping :) Do you like to go shopping with your friends or family, or do you prefer shopping on your own? 

serap's picture
serap 30 November, 2013 - 18:06

I like shopping as well ın my opinion, everybody likes it so new clothes or another things are usually nice for people

TeresaC's picture
TeresaC 1 December, 2013 - 08:21

Hi there! That's true - I love wearing new clothes! How often do you go shopping? What's your favoruite thing to buy? 

serap's picture
serap 3 December, 2013 - 18:09

I sometimes go shopping not always but i love it and ı love to buy colorful sweater and pants at most :-)

TeresaC's picture
TeresaC 4 December, 2013 - 08:04

Hi! I love colourful things too! It's boring to wear dark colours all the time! Do you prefer to go shopping with family and friends or on your own? What else do you like to do in your spare time? 

serap's picture
serap 4 December, 2013 - 18:19

I prefer to go shopping with my friends :-) and i do something about learning better english in my spare time i am writing english poems in English i really like to write poems and i am translating a turkish text into english i am reading books in english i really love english!! :-) in the meantime i am learning french and spanish at home by myself on the net and i also learn german in school and you? What do u do in your spare time do you like learning english, too like me :-)

TeresaC's picture
TeresaC 5 December, 2013 - 16:48

Wow that's amazing! I can't imagine writing poems in another language! I am English - I'm a university student working abroad in France teaching English, and learning French too! I've also been to China, where I taught English in a summer camp. I love shopping, going to the cinema, and listening to music. I also like running - in April, I am going to run the London marathon! Do you like sports? 

serap's picture
serap 6 December, 2013 - 13:13

I don't like sport s actually I dont like pyhscial education in school i think i dont like sports because of physical education in my school but I'd love to do sports, for example tennis in fact i love writing and reading at most :-) they make me happy :-)

bloomsophie's picture
bloomsophie 30 November, 2013 - 12:13

so do i but i enjoy to shop books of studies i hate fashion i wear hijab i'm fond of girl stories like sophie sophie she is a french character

TeresaC's picture
TeresaC 2 December, 2013 - 18:15

Hi Bloomsophie! I love shopping for books too - for me, there's nothing better than sitting in a comfy chair with a good book! I especially like books that make me laugh, and love stories. Have you ever read any English books?