Fashion

Clothes shopping on a budget!

70
TeresaC

Like many girls, I absolutely love clothes shopping! But, as a student, I don’t have a lot of money to keep up with the latest fashion trends. 

Especially when it comes to vintage clothes, which are in fashion at the moment - I can’t afford many things in vintage shops. I like to look on eBay, but I find it difficult to buy clothes online because they don’t always fit well when they arrive. I like to always try on clothes in the shop before I buy them - it makes each shopping trip much more fun!

In England, we have shops called ‘charity shops’, where people donate their old clothes, shoes, books, CDs, DVDs, and children's toys and games. In America, they are called ‘thrift shops’ - which you may know from Macklemore’s hit song! I love these shops, because you can often find a bargain - brand new clothes with the tags still on them, or real vintage items which haven’t got a big price tag!

The only downside to charity shopping is that you have to search through everything in the shop, which can take a lot of time. Also, sometimes it is disappointing - I have searched for hours before and not found a single thing to buy! But I find this with big department stores in shopping centres too, so perhaps it is just occasional bad luck! The majority of the time, however, I have found some bargains, and saved lots of money! In the past, I have found lovely handbags, new shoes, hardly-worn clothes, and some fantastic second-hand books and DVDs at a fraction of the price that you’d find in a normal shop. And the best part about charity shopping is that the money goes to a good cause! 

Do you like shopping? How do you keep up with the latest fashion trends? 

bloomsophie's picture
bloomsophie 3 December, 2013 - 15:24

my real language is arabic not english i read one story of english and winx stories but really i'm fond of english after arabic!!!!

SandraB's picture
SandraB 28 November, 2013 - 17:29

I love shopping,but my town is pretty small and we don't really have any shops here?Anyways,I love going somewhere else or to some big mall and go shop through all the stores in malls.I keep up with latest trends,but we can't really buy those kind of clothes here so I do my best with things that are offered.I don't really like expensive things,and high price doesn't always mean high quality.

TeresaC's picture
TeresaC 29 November, 2013 - 16:41

Hi Sandra! I love big shopping malls too - especially at this time of year because there are always wonderful Christmas displays! What's your favorite thing to buy when you go shopping? Do you prefer shopping with your friends or with your family? 

Niluh 28 November, 2013 - 16:27

absolutely, i like shopping very much! But, i don't have enough money for go shopping often, i have to save up first.

Halen's picture
Halen 27 November, 2013 - 13:26

Hi,there! I love shopping too and I'm trying keep up with the latest fashion trends and buy things which I like together.Because I think so fashion is that clothes fit and suit you.If I like something very very much I buy it.It doesn't matter price for me.But actually I'm trying to buy more cheaper clothes.

TeresaC's picture
TeresaC 27 November, 2013 - 21:03

Hi Halen! I agree that the best fashion is what fits and suits you! I try to buy cheaper things too - but sometimes I can't help treating myself! What's your favourite thing to buy? How often do you like to go shopping? 

Harabeli Supersweet 26 November, 2013 - 16:14

I love shopping! I always go shopping with my mum, but I don't keep up with the latest fashion trends, because I have a unique style. I wear what makes me feel good and comfortable, even if it's not the latest fashion trend.

TeresaC's picture
TeresaC 27 November, 2013 - 21:01

Hi Harabeli Supersweet! I love shopping with my mum too - especially when she buys me something as a treat! It's nice to see you have a unique style - it's always important to be comfortable. What's your favourite thing to buy? 

Liselik's picture
Liselik 26 November, 2013 - 12:07

Oh yea I like shopping! I like to be fashionable. There are a lot of shopping centres in my country. Everybody wants to be in fashion! I often go to shops and I try to buy things in the sales. I am a shopaholic, hahaha. Shopping is my favourite pastime!

TeresaC's picture
TeresaC 26 November, 2013 - 14:23

Hi Liselik! It's nice to meet a fellow shopaholic!! Shopping is my favourite pastime too! I'm looking forward to the sales in January because I always find some cheap clothes! How often do you go shopping? What's your favourite thing to buy? 

Ash94's picture
Ash94 26 November, 2013 - 11:01

Hi all! Yes. I also like shopping! Because in today's society most of the boys are also as much as fashionable like girls!. But in my country, there are hardly any charity shops can be found. So it isn't possible to buy bargains to keep up with the latest fashion trends. But I think to be beautiful means to be your self. So you don't need to buy such costly clothes. You can just buy something cheap and arrange it in a nice way. You should be creative!

TeresaC's picture
TeresaC 26 November, 2013 - 14:21

Hi Ash! It's true that the most important thing is to be yourself! But I still love shopping too! I like to make a shopping trip last a long time, so I'll go to a coffee shop with my friends in-between shopping for clothes! It's really good to be creative too - how are you creative with your clothes? 

Ash94's picture
Ash94 27 November, 2013 - 04:00

Hi Teresa! I think only thing you need is 'imagination' to be creative. You can buy some cheap clothe and you can print some image on it to give it a new look! or if you are good at drawing you can draw something on it using fabric paint. Then you will have something original as well as creative! By the way, what are the other things you like as well as shopping?

TeresaC's picture
TeresaC 28 November, 2013 - 17:37

Hi Ash! I'm not very good at customising clothes! Once, I made a costume for halloween but apart from that I haven't tried! Do you customise your clothes often? I like watching movies and spending time with my friends and family! What do you like to do apart from shopping?  

Ash94's picture
Ash94 1 December, 2013 - 12:52

Hi Teresa! I don't customize cloths very often. But for special occasions I make. I also like watching movies and TV shows. And also I like travelling. Have you been abroad?

TeresaC's picture
TeresaC 2 December, 2013 - 15:00

Hi Ash! I love travelling - last summer, I went to China to teach English in a summer camp! And I'm currently living abroad in France for a year teaching English. Where have you travelled? 

Ash94's picture
Ash94 3 December, 2013 - 04:19

Hi Teresa! I haven't been abroad yet because I was very busy with my studies past time. But my farther has been to the UK more than six times. I hope to travel abroad next year!