Fashion

Fashion for all

40
Rebecca Low

“I GOT ONE I GOT ONE!!” British fashion designer Henry Holland excitedly proclaimed on Twitter. One click reveals a photo of the designer sporting a black bomber jacket with tropical-print sleeves, one of the pieces from H&M’s latest concession, Versace for H&M. Following a string of successful collaborations with designers such as Matthew Williamson, Lanvin and Jimmy Choo, November 2011 sees the Swedish high street chain team up with the formidable Donatella Versace, offering ‘normal’ people another bite at the high fashion pie, without giving our budgets a battering.

The high street/haute couture partnership strikes an odd balance; it retains a certain degree of exclusivity, but without being exclusive. In the world of fashion, the most important thing is to stand out from the crowd, whilst still looking on-trend. In the past, a label-laden wardrobe was the way to achieve this, but Fashion with a capital F is no longer just for the world’s wealthy ‘beautiful people’.

When British Vogue reinstated its popular ‘More Dash Than Cash’ feature in 2009, the message was loud and clear: creativity on a budget was more important than lusting after designer clothes. If fashion bible Vogue was encouraging us to shop on the high street, it must be the way forward, right? Most fashion magazines now have regular ‘street style’ columns, where fashionable passers-by are photographed in whatever they left the house wearing that morning.  It’s a refreshing look inside the wardrobes of normal people from all walks of life. The internet too remains a staunch outpost for the celebration of the everyday fashionista, with sites as diverse as The Sartorialist, The Style Scout and the quirky Hel-looks.com providing us with inspiration from the streets of Milan, New York, London, Helsinki, Paris and many more cities across the globe. What do all those photographed have in common? Largely, it’s their love of mixing cheaper clothes with more expensive ones, hand-me-downs with one-off vintage finds. The internet makes it easy for us to take a look at this stylish cross section of the general public. It provides us with inspiration, encourages us to be inventive, and reminds us that fashion is meant to be fun.

H&M’s latest designer offering is yet another reminder of this fact. For a short period at least, anyone can pick up a Versace studded leather dress or tropical-print jacket, but the real fun begins when you start to experiment with how to wear it with the clothes you already own and love. Designer collaborations are breaking down fashion barriers, giving everyone from magazine editors to teenagers shopping at the weekend access to clothes which still carry that special ‘limited edition’ feel, but at a fraction of the price. Spending vast amounts of money is no longer the objective. Today, Fashion is for all, and creativity, not money, is what counts. It’s not simply who you wear, but how you wear it.

Do you agree that "It’s not simply who you wear, but how you wear it"? What is the secret of looking great? Tell us your style tips!

Konstantina's picture
Konstantina 24 January, 2014 - 14:44

I agree with this article<3
You have to look comfortable in clothers,you have to know how to wear,it is important<3
It's easy to make you own style and when you do this you will feel very nice<3
Keep up with the latest fashion news and you will be FASHIONABLE<3

beyourself15rock's picture
beyourself15rock 22 January, 2014 - 22:48

Yes I agree! U HAVE TO KNOW HOW TO WEAR !
I think u have to work out a then u can wear whatever u want, like.
The most important thing in fashion is that u need to feel comfortably in that clothes, because than look nice:)
Choose some nice style, and be 'brave' about fashion.

m@tini's picture
m@tini 3 October, 2013 - 17:19

Yes, I agree.Our style express our personality and our character . Everyone has a special and different style. Fashion is the most powerful art and you can wear whatever you wish that express you and represent you.

KLEA B's picture
KLEA B 21 May, 2013 - 18:29

Of course that i am agree. What we wear tells of our personality. Something that i want to wear you maybe hate.

REDREDRED's picture
REDREDRED 28 April, 2013 - 13:33

I almost agree with it. Even the most beautiful and fashionable thing can be awful when you wear it with not suitable clothes! It doesn't mean what brand of clothes you wear, just choose the right clothes to each oher

Alishka's picture
Alishka 25 March, 2013 - 17:07

Yes I agree with it.
I live fashion very much. I always wear beautiful things. My wordrobe is always full. I like blue colour and I have a lot of blue T-shirts, dresses, skirts and other things.
I always go shopping with my mum. She helps me to chose cloths.

Natalija 8 March, 2013 - 12:57

Fashion is the most powerful art there is. It's movement, design and architecture all in one. It shows the world who we are and who we'd like to be. We have to know what do we like and how to wear it. I will cite Grace Kelly and say that a girl without style is like a rose without scent. It is completely true and we should wear only the things that fit us. We have to know what colors match each other and what clothes is for what occasion.

RehinaParker's picture
RehinaParker 7 March, 2013 - 15:15

Yes i agree.. i think that fashion its nothing if you look great with somethink else...

Bora F's picture
Bora F 25 February, 2013 - 16:35

Yes i agree...i think that if a person is not beautifull looks great when he wears beautifull..........

merlin's picture
merlin 17 February, 2013 - 19:43

i think the secret of looking good is to be yourself and to wear clothes that suit you no to wear something because is fashionable.i totally agree with the other comments

o-ymeri's picture
o-ymeri 1 February, 2013 - 16:23

Yess i agree with it....because...
fashion is not somthing what we wear but how we wear it, it's more than putting together outfits and creating different looks, but a form expression of once identity, creating a new layer of skin...
I live it. I breathe it. I express it..... <3

nedia.tola's picture
nedia.tola 31 January, 2013 - 13:54

yes i agree.the real fashionista takes items of clothing and combines them to create a great outfit.

Red's picture
Red 26 January, 2013 - 08:50

When British Vogue reinstated its popular ‘More Dash Than Cash’ feature in 2009, the message was loud and clear: creativity on a budget was more important than lusting after designer clothes. If fashion bible Vogue was encouraging us to shop on the high street, it must be the way forward, right? Most fashion magazines now have regular ‘street style’ columns, where fashionable passers-by are photographed in whatever they left the house wearing that morning. It’s a refreshing look inside the wardrobes of normal people from all walks of life. The internet too remains a staunch outpost for the celebration of the everyday fashionista, with sites as diverse as The Sartorialist, The Style Scout and the quirky Hel-looks.com providing us with inspiration from the streets of Milan, New York, London, Helsinki, Paris and many more cities across the globe. What do all those photographed have in common? Largely, it’s their love of mixing cheaper clothes with more expensive ones, hand-me-downs with one-off vintage finds. The internet makes it easy for us to take a look at this stylish cross section of the general public. It provides us with inspiration, encourages us to be inventive, and reminds us that fashion is meant to be fun.

xhenis dosti's picture
xhenis dosti 21 January, 2013 - 15:12

yes i'm agree too.. i think the secret of looking great is to wear what you really like and what makes you feel good.. I think i wear clothes how i feel but,most of the time i like to be sports.

ChristinaMne's picture
ChristinaMne 29 November, 2012 - 20:06

I agree too. I think you have to work out to be in form,a very good form,then you can wear everything you want.I think that every thing you wear you have to wear it in a special way.To know how to wear it.
Experiment with clothes! :)
I wear clothes how I feel.When I'm sad I wear dark colours etc. :*

Edona49's picture
Edona49 29 October, 2012 - 17:21

Yes I agree.First you need to know where are you going,If you go to gym,you'll wear trainers or if you go to a party,you'll wear a dress.Then you just need to combinate diferent colours for example(beige,brown,orange,and olive green).At the end take a clutch or a bag,or you can put a necklace. :))