Fashion

Fashion in France?

8
CatrionaL

During the summer holidays when I was getting ready to move to France, I was very excited as it meant that I had the opportunity to buy some new clothes and change my fashion a bit. I love fashion as I think it allows you to express your personality and highlight your individuality. I would describe my style as very simple and classic. I love wearing black and white outfits and simple dresses with knee-high boots. Now it is easy to think of French fashion as stripy Breton T-shirts and berets, however when I arrived in France I realized that this was not the case. When thinking about what I would wear in my role as language assistant, I thought I would have to dress quite smartly and formally. So I packed smart dresses, trousers and blouses. 

In English schools teachers are expected to look very smart. Jeans and trainers are not allowed, and both men and women normally wear suits. However, when I arrived at the schools in France I quickly learnt that it is not the same in France. First of all the pupils do not wear uniforms and the teachers' clothing is much more relaxed and comfortable. Most of the teachers in the schools I work in wear jeans, trainers and jumpers. This is great as it means you are not worried about getting your clothes dirty and it is much more comfortable than wearing a smart skirt and shirt. 

As for young people in France I have noticed that they also dress very casually. Skinny jeans, ankle boots and jumpers is a typical outfit for a teenage girl. They also wear a lot of black, which of course matches with everything. At first I felt a little out of place in France with my fashion sense but I have learnt to wear what I like to wear, regardless of what every one else is wearing. 

There are so many great shops in France and I am trying very hard not to buy too many clothes as I will have to fit it all in my luggage when I return to England. I particularly love the department store 'Les Galléries La Fayette' which sells everything from make-up to dressing gowns. I have just returned from a short trip to Tours and I treated myself to a new skirt ... oops! 

So my vision of French fashion changed once I arrived in France and it shows how much you can learn about a country from living in it. I envy the French business women who look effortlessly sophisticated and chic. Maybe I will dress like them one day! For now I will stick with my own style. Fashion in France is so eclectic and different from what most of us imagine. 

How would you describe your style? 

amawes's picture
amawes 30 September, 2016 - 08:57

My style is pretty basic , I like to wear jeans with simple shirts. I do not to much with my hair but I LOVE putting it in a half up half down hairstyle.

Manaly's picture
Manaly 23 July, 2016 - 22:41

For me, i usually wear jeans or short skirts. My teachers are always and should wear long skirt with any blouse.

piku99's picture
piku99 3 May, 2016 - 11:45

I the summer time I like do lots of shipping and like wearing fashionable cloth. My Favorite Cloths Shirt, T-Shirt and Jeans. I like wearing white,blue,red and orange colour shirt. It is very suitable colour for my fashion.I like also wearing Hat and Sunglass for sunny weather. It is the all about describe my fashion.

paulaclark's picture
paulaclark 1 December, 2015 - 12:09

I completely agree with you. During my visit to France, I saw that their fashion was quite different from ours. Even the riding gear they used to wear was so classy and stylish. I saw many women motorcyclists wear leather jackets, ankle boots and leather pants while motorcycling. I was surprised to see how much importance they give on safety. Their fashion sense is truly inspiring and we can definitely learn a lot from them.

dapcevicka's picture
dapcevicka 12 November, 2015 - 19:24

My style is something that I decide about. I love wearing black things, jeans and some ankle boots. I feel comfortable in something like that and if someone starts telling me different, he's going to my 'ignore' list.
Our style is something we create for ourselves and no one has a right to tell us to change it, unless it's something really, really bad. And, I almost forgot, one important proverb: ,,The suit doesn't make the man''.

gianggiang 5 November, 2015 - 14:32

Well, my style is very simple. Black jeans, white shirts, black or white sandals. I am surprised because teachers in the UK are not allowed to wear jeans and and they often wear suits. In Vietnam ( a Asian country), teachers usually wear jeans or dresses when they work at schools. Suits are often worn in the winter or at big anniversaries. Our teachers are very fashionable, their styles are very impressive and elegant, but sometimes there are some unexpected "accidents", our teacher almost falls because of high heels.