Fashion

Is 'high' fashion coming down to earth?

6
EllieC

Ten years ago, the term ‘blogger’ would only have been known by the select few. Nowadays, however, it is considered a full-time job in many cases. But the domain for which blogging has arguably provided the greatest impetus is fashion. ‘High’ fashion, to be more precise. If you type ‘Fashion Blog’ into Google, you get 460,000,000 results (interestingly, if you type in ‘David Cameron’, you only get 277,000,000). So why are fashion bloggers so popular? And is their growing influence a positive thing?

One of the reasons that fashion bloggers are so popular is that they interpret the trends that are sent straight from the catwalk into a more ‘user-friendly’ version for the average person on the street. Indeed, for most of us, the clothes that we see on the catwalks are about as accessible to us as the planet Mars. Bloggers provide hints for how we can wear that Chanel skirt, for example, on a day-to-day basis, without looking like a child raiding a dressing-up box.

More recently, fashion houses have begun to see the potential of fashion bloggers in terms of their own branding and promotion. In the last few years, every major front row at the fashion weeks has had at least one fashion blogger, at the request of the designers themselves. Why? So that the bloggers will then blog about the show they have just seen, in a way that attracts the attention of the masses.

But is the rise of the blogger a good thing for fashion? The fashion editors who are invited to sit on the front rows at fashion week have spent years working hard to earn their stripes as a fashion connoisseur. Is it fair that a teenager who has only been blogging for two years gets the chance to sit next to them, as an equal? Or should we instead be embracing this new influx of fashion enthusiasts who have made the seemingly impenetrable world of fashion more accessible to the rest of us? Time will tell whether the world of fashion bloggers will outlive the trends that they write about.

Do you think the rise of the fashion blogger is a positive thing for ‘high’ fashion?

Elsa007 10 August, 2015 - 10:28

Honestly I didn't know the word 'fashion bloggers'!
Hmm, it sounds interesting, but to me fashion blogs seem to be more like fashion magazines, although they're on the Web and don't make readers feel pressed against commercialization…!

……….ha ha ha! Hadia! Couldn't agree more with your great comment!
"at the same time surprising the fashion bloggers are ruling every where! WeLL! yeah~!" --
---I'm a prime minister, David Cameron, I'm ruling the government!… oops, not me, but the Parliament…. or bloggers…?? Ha ha ha!

Anyway, I like to buy clothes after trying it on and check it in the mirror with someone who knows me very well!

hadia 11 August, 2015 - 16:43

Well! Thanks Elsa for appreciating my comment and Yeah! I would completely agree with you that the fashion bloggers are just like fashion magazine suggesting you some good looks and designs.............Hmm! I think that we ourselves can be a fashion adviser to us! Like we just have to do is to look up the designs in the magazines or in Web ( by having a look on the fresh designs of some known brands) and then buy a piece of cloth from the shop and stich in the way they have done................It's cheaper! But quite difficult as a lot of time is required to do so! And also instructing your tailor about the design! ............Well! I also do the same while going to shopping i-e I always take my sister or my parents with me while buying clothes especially my father! He's very helpful to me , and with him I am able to but good clothes! :)

hadia 10 August, 2015 - 06:52

I think the rise of fashion bloggers isn't a negative thing rather it's good for those people who can't afford expensive brands and then at a low price with some useful tricks given by the bloggers they can adopt the new fashion! Well! The article was very interesting one............................especially the line which mentions the search results for David Cameron! ha ha ha! It's funny and at the same time surprising the fashion bloggers are ruling every where! WeLL! yeah~! It's good if they're helping us out because as mentioned above that the new fashion is as accessible to us as the planet Mars (LOL)

Rededition's picture
Rededition 30 June, 2015 - 23:15

I also agree with solomene, they are also very helpful when i don't know what to wear they inspire me a lot