Fashion

Make your own clothing

11
EllenBlogger

It’s funny nowadays. Everybody buys their clothes. It’s not ‘cool’ to knit or sew your own any more and crafts like this are seen as a very old skill. They are seen as women’s hobbies and skills and it isn’t often that you find men doing crafts like this as a hobby, which is completely silly, as some of the world’s best designers are men!

Both my dad and grandad tried knitting once. Their wool came out as a triangle because they dropped stitches and held the wool too tight. Dad watches us knit and tells us that he thinks it is magic. He made me think the other day by wondering how many thousands of years ago a fisherman or someone working in trade just decided to pick up a bit of string and two sticks and start making knots and voilà ... knitting was born!

My mum is brilliant at sewing and knitting and I’ve decided that I want to learn to sew better. We’ll both sit there and watch television in the evening and knit jumpers. The more you practise, the better you get, but I find sewing a bit more difficult as the pattern contains lots of specific language that I don’t quite understand yet and I’m scared of doing it wrong. You also need a lot of surface space to cut the patterns out and with my family, something almost always gets moved across the room by accident, or into another room entirely!

I walked into the fabric shop the other day to pick up some fabric and a pattern and was amazed that I could find the pattern online and could watch a YouTube video to show me how to make my dress! The best thing is that you can start off with really simple designs and make small and easy items of clothing first and work your way up. It’s not difficult if you can follow a pattern and are careful with how you cut the fabric and sew it together. Plus, you can make a dress exactly how you want it and make it fit perfectly!

Can you knit or sew? Do you enjoy it? Do you think it's better to buy clothes in shops or make them at home?

catastrophe's picture
catastrophe 28 June, 2017 - 11:46

Yuck, I hate this knitting business! The needle always pricks my fingers, and you just have to be really patient, which isn't my cup of tea. The only thing that I enjoy is embroidery. But both of my grannies are awesome in sewing, so I guess I have the gene in me! OMG, I have the gene in me!!!! :0

hadia 28 June, 2017 - 20:27

I learnt embroidery when I was in Grade 8th. For Home Economics. I did it to my best. But I could never compete my mom in that field. She does it so neat, clean, and beautiful always.

Well, you have that Gene in you. Plus a gene of cuteness too. ;))) Your comments are interesting to read, always. ;)

catastrophe's picture
catastrophe 29 June, 2017 - 10:31

I learnt embroidery in the sixth grade. I pricked my hand several times and winced so many times. I'm naturally loud, and my one 'ow' was enough to startle two teachers. Ow, it was so embarrassing! :p
My mum is really clumsy when it comes to stiching. But both of my grannies are good, and one of them is knitting a sweater for me!!! Thanks hadia, for your comment. You always praise people a lot!!! I guess your policy is 'Be Good Feel Good' !!!! :)))

hadia 29 June, 2017 - 13:11

Ow. I am (very)loud too.
Ha ha. My Maternal Grandmother made one for me too. It was so beautiful. I am sure your Granny will surprise yiu with her lovely gift.
Thanks Catastrophe. You're lovely. ;)

catastrophe's picture
catastrophe 29 June, 2017 - 15:03

You're loud? Wow, your comments told me that you were a peace-loving girl!! Well, after all, don't judge a book by its cover!
I'm sure my granny will make a sweater for me, but it's gonna take ages. My sister first, them my bro, and I'm last. Oh, it's so annoying to be the eldest!!! /:0
And welcome, hadia! But am I lovely?? :)))

hadia 29 June, 2017 - 16:28

Ha ha ha. I'm Leo. Althought I dont believe in zodiac signs etc, Leos are said to be aggressive and short tempered. Ain't I right? Well, being a Leo has it's own perks. He he he.
No worries. Better Late than Never. ;))))
Yep. You're Lovely. After Elsa, and Giang, Ive found an amazing Friend in you. ;)
Cheers.

catastrophe's picture
catastrophe 29 June, 2017 - 18:48

Oh, thank you! You're a great friend too. And... Great, I don't know what's my sun sign. It's just... Gross! But anyways, I don't believe in astrology. We should go where our destiny takes us. WAU? :))))

hadia 30 June, 2017 - 06:09

I said earlier already, I never believed in these signs and will never do. Allah has chosen the best for us and we have to get it by Hardwork. ;)

hadia 28 June, 2017 - 08:50

Wow. This is so cool what your Dad and Grand Dad did. My Dad doesn't know how to knit or sew. But talking about my mom, she's amazing in doing it. She sews clothes for me in free time. Although not much, few maybe. But she's an expert. There is so neatness in her work. My relatives are always praising her for that. This is so cool. And I want to learn that too. Maybe in holidays, I'll think about learning it. ;)