Fashion

Nail art

66
MehramS

Nail art has become an international phenomenon and many are using their fingernails as a canvas to display creativity and personality. Instagram, Facebook and Pinterest are overflowing with people showing off their latest and at times, impossibly intricate designs. The important question is where did it all begin and how has the colour of your fingernails become just as, if not more important than the outfit you are wearing?

The history of nail polish and nail art dates back to 3000BC in China, India and Egypt. Plants were processed to create a dye that was used as a type of nail enamel, this was then applied and represented social class and wealth; deep colours such as red were worn by the rich and lighter paler colours were used by the poor. The Inca civilization even went as far as painting intricate animals on their nails to demonstrate which tribe they belonged to!

It wasn’t until the early 19th century that nail enamel was modernised into the nail polish that we see and know of today. The boom of the automobile industry introduced a wide selection of paints and colours which were soon adapted to be used on nails. The classic “moon manicure” was created and Revlon changed the colour recipe promoting pigments instead of dyes which further escalated the nail polish industry’s success.

It was only a matter of time before nail polish became a statement of personality and creativity. Rock, punk and goth groups wore black nail polish and the colour of your nails communicated the subculture you belonged to. Today, nail art is fully integrated into the fashion world, the application of gems, airbrushing, fine detail and nail extensions means that they can complete any look.

I personally love changing the colour and pattern of my nails to finish off my outfit and rather than seeing it as a chore I enjoy creating new designs. There is plenty of inspiration on the internet and with the latest introduction of metallic nail wraps everyone can get a professional finish in half the time! 

Do you paint your nails regularly?
How do you like to express your personality and creativity?

Lena01's picture
Lena01 21 December, 2013 - 10:54

I really like nail art. I have many colours and tools to draw on nails. I usually paint them to match with the occasion.

Proud_S's picture
Proud_S 21 December, 2013 - 10:10

I really love nail art ! I paint my nails every week lol!
Right now,I've made winter nail art design and I really love it! :)

ellen's picture
ellen 20 December, 2013 - 14:25

I love nail art! I think that the beauty of nail varnish.
Nail art has become an international phenomenon and many are using their fingernails as a canvas to display creativity and personality.

JoEditor's picture
JoEditor 20 December, 2013 - 19:27

Hi ellen,
Please do not copy text directly from the articles on our website. Please check our House Rules if you have any doubts.
Best wishes, Jo (LearnEnglish Teens Team) 

Harabeli Supersweet 20 December, 2013 - 14:02

No, I don't. I paint my nails only in special celebrations. I paint them in a simple way, just red, sparkly, pink or purple.

saba's picture
saba 19 December, 2013 - 14:53

i love nail polish and i spend a lot of time doing my nails and it's very unlikely if i don't design them with special nailpolish pens i usualy draw simple lines and shapes i love black and yellow they are a perfect match!

KimchiSoup's picture
KimchiSoup 18 December, 2013 - 23:08

I like nail art! However, my school doesn’t allow nail art too so I just apply enamel to my pinkie fingers. When I go to school teachers don’t know I applied the manicure because when you write you can hide your pinkie nail easy.

Bosnianchild's picture
Bosnianchild 18 December, 2013 - 18:19

I love nail art but when I see on someone else. I love usual nails. The best is when they're clean without brown under them. I agree, when someone says that our nails express personality and our creativity. I love black and red nails. :-)

engleskigaga's picture
engleskigaga 18 December, 2013 - 13:43

I love nail art! I usually art my nails with red color or blue.
I love flowers on nails too. But we can not color nails in school.

Niluh 17 December, 2013 - 17:07

I love nail art! I just painted my toenail yesterday but i didn't use nail polish, i use henna instead. I never paint my finger nails cause students are not permitted to coloured nail polish at school.

kals's picture
kals 18 December, 2013 - 12:58

I love nail art." student are not permitted to wear nail polish at school",is a principal of my school too.