Nail art

Nail art has become an international phenomenon and many are using their fingernails as a canvas to display creativity and personality. Instagram, Facebook and Pinterest are overflowing with people showing off their latest and at times, impossibly intricate designs. The important question is where did it all begin and how has the colour of your fingernails become just as, if not more important than the outfit you are wearing?

The history of nail polish and nail art dates back to 3000BC in China, India and Egypt. Plants were processed to create a dye that was used as a type of nail enamel, this was then applied and represented social class and wealth; deep colours such as red were worn by the rich and lighter paler colours were used by the poor. The Inca civilization even went as far as painting intricate animals on their nails to demonstrate which tribe they belonged to!

It wasn’t until the early 19th century that nail enamel was modernised into the nail polish that we see and know of today. The boom of the automobile industry introduced a wide selection of paints and colours which were soon adapted to be used on nails. The classic “moon manicure” was created and Revlon changed the colour recipe promoting pigments instead of dyes which further escalated the nail polish industry’s success.

It was only a matter of time before nail polish became a statement of personality and creativity. Rock, punk and goth groups wore black nail polish and the colour of your nails communicated the subculture you belonged to. Today, nail art is fully integrated into the fashion world, the application of gems, airbrushing, fine detail and nail extensions means that they can complete any look.

I personally love changing the colour and pattern of my nails to finish off my outfit and rather than seeing it as a chore I enjoy creating new designs. There is plenty of inspiration on the internet and with the latest introduction of metallic nail wraps everyone can get a professional finish in half the time! 

Do you paint your nails regularly?
How do you like to express your personality and creativity?

catastrophe's picture
catastrophe 18 June, 2017 - 14:47

I don't like nail art. In fact, I hate nail polish because it is annoying. We should be careful and not let it touch our fingers. And it spoils our enamel. It doesn't go off soon. I only wear nail polish when I go to some party or function. And definitely not in the school days. My class teacher'll kill me if I do.;)))

Sa5m's picture
Sa5m 23 August, 2015 - 14:44

I like to paint my nail with dark colors or red. But since I go to sports, long painted nails doesn't fit.

patchyplum's picture
patchyplum 28 April, 2015 - 14:00

For a girl, nail art is very appropriate in the period of 12 to 22 years,exactly. Being nice and girlish is really pleasing to the eyes and develops a somewhat personality.I really like it and colours with light textures match me such as salmon pink.but be careful,putting it too much may make you a rowdy unbeknowing to you!

fashionlover's picture
fashionlover 3 January, 2015 - 15:13

you know, every ones face can be beautiful. either the poor people or rich ones. so how? with make-up. and I think every ones hand can be beautiful with painting and manicure.

Ginny's picture
Ginny 2 January, 2015 - 07:58

i love nail arts. i paint only my toe nails during school and paint my finger nails during term holidays.i prefer using dark colours for toe nails and light colours for my fingernails. i usually use double colours to make it look more attractive.

IloveallinConan's picture
IloveallinConan 8 December, 2014 - 12:00

I do not paint fingernails or toenails because I am the 7th graders .Everybody please reply to me. Thank you so much

PinkyPay's picture
PinkyPay 22 November, 2014 - 12:30

Yes,I do paint my nails, but just on holidays and weekends, not in school.
-Well,by using nail art , I express my personalty and feelings. To express myself , I rather use bright colors and unusual details.When I paint my nails , I rather use my own ideas but sometimes I check what ' s new or to find an inspiration. :))

marila2013's picture
marila2013 15 August, 2014 - 17:49

well to tell the truth i like to pain my nail but not all time just when i have to go to the party or ceremony.
i like to express my personality by my appearance . i mean the way that i wear clothe i think can express my personality

dlovato's picture
dlovato 30 June, 2014 - 14:20

Yes,I do.
I like to express my personality and creativity with drawings and bright colours.

Helle's picture
Helle 25 May, 2014 - 12:07

This is special ... But why not ?
I like painting my nails ! I sometimes do that ... ;)

dzeni 20 March, 2014 - 15:55

I adore painting my nails. My nails are long and have a nice shape so it`s really pleasure to paint it. I`m very good at painting nails. It`s great way to show your creativity.
My friends have short nails and they often bite nails when feel nervous so they don`t like paint it.

Halen's picture
Halen 12 February, 2014 - 15:10

Nail art...It heard interesting but seems awful.No...I don't like it.I don't paint my nails so often.Because I go to school.When I paint my nails often use pink,cream and pastel colors.It seems elegant.

cklj's picture
cklj 2 February, 2014 - 18:58

I also love nail art, but I don't paint my nails very often. It's hard to paint your nails perfectly and I can't do that so that's why I don't paint my nails regularly. But, when I do that I paint them in one colour.

RAGSANA99's picture
RAGSANA99 18 January, 2014 - 16:19

Oh, I like nail art.I have got a lot of nail lacquer. I paint my nails in beatiful in summer

FQRurbanova's picture
FQRurbanova 3 January, 2014 - 15:47

i love nail art too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
yes nail art is not a simple matter. It is necessary to have the experience that the person turned out well to paint their nails. I also love to paint my nails even paint them almost every day but of course only on holidays=================

sailor moon's picture
sailor moon 23 December, 2013 - 15:53

i paint my nails regulary, especially in summer. in summer i paint my nails in different ways.

MALINE 22 December, 2013 - 22:01

I love nail art,it´s a fantastic way to express yourself and it depends on your mood.If I feel really happy I paint my nails in bright colours and different paintings and if I am on a black mood I just apply a neutral colour.

Natalija 22 December, 2013 - 09:35

I paint my nails very often, I like red and pink nail polish most. I don't like girls who put everything on their nails, like 3 colours, and draw flowers, hearts and stuff like that, it looks so cheap and awful. Simple nail polish is more classy.