Fashion

Olympics Accessories

48
Bethan Morgan

Aside from all the amazing sporting achievements and incredible atmosphere, one thing I always notice when watching the Olympics is the sometimes ridiculous amount of jewellery worn by the competitors. Serena Williams has always been known for her outfits and accessories, and although for her a gold medal was pretty much guaranteed this year, I found it quite presumptive that she should match her jewellery, sweatbands and even hair tie to the colour of her desired prize. Phillips Idowu is another culprit, with all his piercings catching the sun as he runs up to take his next jump. And then there are the runners, both sprinters and long-distance athletes, who wear anything from small earrings to huge chains round their necks.

Don't get me wrong, I am all for a bit of jewellery to add a little something to an outfit, and in fact I have two rings which I haven't taken off since I bought them some time ago. I am also a very sporty person - I run, I play tennis and I cycle. However, apart from the two rings on my right hand, I never wear jewellery when participating in these activities.

Not only can it look a bit odd, mixing sporty clothes and glamorous accessories, there is also a risk when wearing something so large (and heavy!) whilst sprinting 100m. Small items of jewellery such as rings or stud earrings are less likely to do you any harm, but the larger necklaces and dangling earrings present bigger problems. Yes, you want to look good while you are being broadcast to billions of people all over the World, but doing sports isn't just about looking good, is it? Perhaps it is a question of superstition or lucky charms, which would make it more understandable, but surely a pair of lucky underpants would work too? It would be less likely to harm you anyway! If I were in the Olympics, I would be concentrating more on representing my country rather than my local jewellery shop.

Do you agree with Bethan? Do you wear jewellery when you do sports?

catastrophe's picture
catastrophe 30 June, 2017 - 13:44

Nope, not at all. Moreover, I'm not much of a sportsperson, so wearing accessories would make it more worse. I usually don't dress up much. Just a watch and a hairband, or a cap just to be funky, and a chain to go with the dress. That's all. I don't believe in looking good and impressing others. There is a time for everything, and for me, that time hasn't arrived yet. So be young, stay young as much as time permits... :)))

iva10 16 August, 2015 - 09:34

No i don't wear jewellery while doing sports.But i wear sport bricellets.They realy are cool.And also in my school is forbitten to wear jewellery while PE otherwise we can 't do PE.

Never! I think that it would be a little uneasy if we do sports while wearing jewellery!

Coolmandragonhej's picture
Coolmandragonhej 10 January, 2014 - 12:02

I think that as long as it does not bother anyone else, it is not a problem. The problem is not what the accessories look like, the problem is that they could potentially hurt themselves. But It is still up to them if they want to wear a necklace and take the risk.

Mrpjamasschwedberg's picture
Mrpjamasschwedberg 10 January, 2014 - 11:58

We are two people writing this comment, We actually agree that it is quite ridiculous. But if it's like a ring or a pair of earrings that's been in your family for several generations and you want to wear it because it means a lot to you we think it is okay. It's ridiculous to wear accessories that makes the audience focus on you even if you come second. We think it's really obvious that the athletes want to be the center of attention when they wear their accessories, sure they can wear them but it doesn't have to be big things that can hurt them.

Gullunge95's picture
Gullunge95 10 January, 2014 - 11:13

I agree to some parts. I do think it is really unecessary to wear such accesories, as gold jewelry, for these kind of events. On the other hand you have to decide for yourself whether it´s worth it, or not.

Oliii98's picture
Oliii98 31 October, 2013 - 19:03

I agree with that article. I understand wearing lucky charm or small earrings, but things like big necklaces or earrings can be really uncomfortable to wear, and sometimes dangerous. When im running i wear no jewellery. I don't need it in this time :)

dancelover's picture
dancelover 24 October, 2013 - 15:09

I agree! I'm also a ballet dancer, and there we mustn't wear jewelleries because it's very easy to get hurt. However, it's very dangerous and many athletes avoid wearing them, it looks very nice and sometimes these little things, are lucky charm for them! :)

justcricketforme 22 October, 2013 - 16:34

I disagree. I play basketball, cricket and volleyball for my school and I like wearing my necklace which has my name on. Yes in a sense I agree for, who wants to wear does long, dangly earing like Maria Sharapova? At least I don't. I think every thing has a limmit. A neckalace or earing or bracelets which aren't that big and eye cathing, are fine but I think long dangly earing, which are usaually worn by tennis players should not be allowed becuase they can harm you.

m@tini's picture
m@tini 24 September, 2013 - 18:03

I agree , because some jewellery is dangerous for the athletes, like long necklaces .Also jewellery isn't allowed when you do sports because you may heart your arms or your neck and they make it difficult for you to play well .

Lemony's picture
Lemony 6 August, 2013 - 07:10

I completely agree. One day I forgot to take away my gold earings and chain, so when I went swimming i need to control didn't i lose it every time. The training was awful!

onedirectionlover2002's picture
onedirectionlov... 20 June, 2013 - 08:02

I disagree. I play cricket for my school team and I wear a necklace. It's just better that way but wearing heavy necklaces and charm bracelets (one of my friends does that she's in the tennis team) is very stupid. You look hilarious. So I think little bit jewelry is okay heavy is not. Can you imagine yourself wearing bracelets, rings and heavy necklaces and bowling or batting playing any kind of sport? LOL!

megisiana's picture
megisiana 10 June, 2013 - 19:47

This is a choose about your preference but i think using accessories isn't a big deal and it is not necessary too. I don't use them if i am really playing in a sport.

Marina_9811's picture
Marina_9811 13 May, 2013 - 13:16

I believe that you should not judge athletes and accessories that can be very valuable and important. I do not think that level an athlete takes gold chains just to be fashionable.

Natalija 26 April, 2013 - 13:50

I play sport very often, and I prefer to not wear any jewelry while doing that, because it's easier and you can completely concentrate on sport. But it's only for tennis, swimming and running. When I dance, I need the jewelry, because it's recommended to have it for dance competitions, to look better. I usually wear earrings and bracelets.

MALINE 28 March, 2013 - 04:02

You should wear small pieces of jewellery like earrings or rings but I think that necklaces could hurt you or it could hurt someone else. Imagine you´re running and your necklace or a chain brakes and you might hit another competitor!!!!!!!!!!

Bethan Morgan's picture
Bethan Morgan 12 April, 2013 - 09:23

That is a very good point - we have been talking a lot about how it affects yourself but not other people! Interesting idea :)

TeenGirlie's picture
TeenGirlie 9 March, 2013 - 17:35

when I do any kind of sport I don't wear jewellery, it's is not comfortable, they draw your attention and don't let to concentrate on the game.. but I love different kinds of accessories!!

Bora F's picture
Bora F 25 February, 2013 - 16:28

When you do sport you need to be very sportive,and you can wear the jewellery for the everyday life..

esli's picture
esli 29 January, 2013 - 17:41

i agree
I am a sportist and I sometimes wore jewellerys .
but they are nice and sometimes i keep them for luck.

Irini Real Madrid's picture
Irini Real Madrid 18 January, 2013 - 18:46

we cant wear accesssories on the fields.my coach told me that it would be boring and it cant let you to play

I LOVE TAIWAN's picture
I LOVE TAIWAN 6 September, 2012 - 13:20

I agree.I'm in the sport team,too.I practice track and field.My coach telled us we can't wear "other things" like:watch,jewellery...lots of things we can't wear it in the races.Those things will affect our match result.That's why we can't wear"other things"in the games or races.
Jenny

Sizar Torres's picture
Sizar Torres 26 August, 2012 - 16:27

Hi..
On the one Hand your opinion is definitely right.I think that piercing is very very ugly for sport players and as you mentioned these kinds of accessories and ornaments may cause bad accidents for the players and may hurt them.
On the other hand I feel it's Ok for player to use accessories which is safe for them such as sweatband or thick necklaces , I've always liked Rafael Nadal's sweatbands and his the his beautiful clothes and Fedrer also..and let's remember that every one is free.
Finally as you said it's really significant for the sport player especially for the ones who play in Olympics to represent their countries as the best as they can.
Thanks

Bethan Morgan's picture
Bethan Morgan 14 October, 2012 - 12:54

you're right, some accessories are safe for sports people to wear and in this case it is a good way to express yourself, as long as there is no risk :)

peachtree's picture
peachtree 23 August, 2012 - 23:17

I disagree, I'm in a sports team, I practice skiing, and I think that if the athlet feels good about him self with particular jewellery why have he to change?
By the way, I think that some jewellery is so feminist, so that's perfect! the girls who do sport have to represent the power of feminist! lol and be always beautiful but ambitious and sportive!
but I also agree with bethan, I've seen the olympics and some athlets wore ridiculus jewery. lol

Bethan Morgan's picture
Bethan Morgan 14 October, 2012 - 12:52

I agree with you, I think it is impoortant to be feminine, and sometimes in sport it is difficult to do this, so maybe jewellery is a good way to show it :)