Fashion

Summer v Winter

110
Emma Douty

When it comes to fashion, the weather is something that plays a huge role in shaping the themes and styles for the season. You wouldn’t wear boots on the beach, or sandals in the snow, right? So, which is better – dressing for the heat or for the cold?

Let’s start with summer style. There are undoubtedly items of clothing that you are dying to wear all year round, but can’t until the sun comes out. Bikinis, and sundresses, for example. Some you forgot you even had, until you found them sadly stuffed away at the deep end of your drawer. Summer is the time! Our legs can be free once again as the temperatures rise, which means no more restrictive clingy tights holding us back.

Summer style also tends to be more bright and colourful than winter. Floral prints and bright tones are the signatures of summer fashion, which are undoubtedly upbeat and attention-grabbing. Why stick to monochrome when you can have colour in your life?

Having said that, winter has its own kind of fashion perks, making it cool in its own right. Keeping warm means adding layers, which means a multitude of ways to show off the latest trends. As well as your outfit beneath your coat, you have a whole other one on top: scarves, gloves, hats, and boots; there are so many options to stay snug and on trend all at once.

What’s more, just because the weather’s cold and dull doesn’t mean that your wardrobe has to be! It’s easy to make a bold statement with brightly coloured tights, or a patterned scarf. And what about your bag? Be daring and go for one that stands out in the crowd – your accessories say a lot about your personality.

Deciding between the two seasons in terms of fashion is a tricky one. When I moved to Mexico, it was a huge change from the cold of Britain; suddenly I was wearing flip-flops and dresses everyday, rather than leggings and jumpers! But I do enjoy wrapping up warm in winter, I must admit. So I suppose when I go back I’ll be keeping myself cosy in the British winter with some Mexican summer bags and scarves. That way I can have the best of both worlds!

Do you prefer winter or summer clothes? Why?

2198679's picture
2198679 5 October, 2016 - 11:01

I love winter, because I love the winter jacket soft wrap me up feeling very warm, very safe。

NMemmedova's picture
NMemmedova 14 March, 2014 - 17:46

My favourite season is Spring...
i love,,, like spring season...when some spring birds come home

dzeni 14 March, 2014 - 15:22

I like both of them. When is winter, I prefer summer clothes, but when summer comes I miss winter clothes.

Muffinspizzaslice's picture
Muffinspizzaslice 10 January, 2014 - 12:03

I like both alot two, both of the seasons have their charming and cozy-isch style of clothing <3

maryagnes's picture
maryagnes 26 October, 2013 - 22:36

Honestly, I prefer winter clothes because I think that winter clothes are more elegant and cute than summer clothes .
In my opinion, winter clothes are very comfortable and it combines with everything. There are gloves, boots, scarf and others that I love.
I do not dislike summer clothes but like I said I prefer winter clothes!!

cupcakegirl's picture
cupcakegirl 9 October, 2013 - 06:27

I like both seasons. Wearing T-shirts, dresses, and shorts, is my thing. I live in India so winter is also hot. But I moved from America 3 months ago so I know how winter is like. I also like wearing short dresses with tights underneath, with casual boots as style. I can stay in fashion at either season!

m@tini's picture
m@tini 29 September, 2013 - 13:21

Summer and winter are both lovely seasons, but I prefer summer and summer clothes . Summer clothes are very comfortable .They are also very colorful , bright and happy. I also believe that, in summer you have more choices than in winter. In winter you must wear warm clothes ,with long sleeves and jeans , but in summer it is not necessary to wear short skirts or shorts. You can also wear your jean with a T-shirt !

Angelica's picture
Angelica 11 September, 2013 - 10:22

I prefer summer clothes because the winter is cold I don t wear dress but in summer I will wear .In summer I wear more colors t shirt short...

saba's picture
saba 4 September, 2013 - 10:24

i likesummer because you can wear short and sassy clothes but in the winter you have to wear heavy jackets and coats and you cant move in winter clothes!!!!!!!!

goodgirl's picture
goodgirl 3 August, 2013 - 19:18

i prefer winter because i love the rain and i don't like summer too much cuz it's so hot

KLEA B's picture
KLEA B 17 July, 2013 - 13:30

I like both of them. The winter clothes keep me warm during this season and summer clothes are so stylish with different colors.

silver's picture
silver 16 July, 2013 - 14:17

winter clothes are more comfortable. because they are puffy, like rabits. :) but if you want to be chic, you should prefer summer clothes. i think both of them are useful for their seasons.

CharlyMarly's picture
CharlyMarly 10 July, 2013 - 12:40

i prefer fall and spring clothes. In winter i have to wear so much, sometimes i think i can not move... but i love to wear sweat shirts and in summer it is to hot for it. fall and spring are the perfect mixture :)

hayaalhams's picture
hayaalhams 10 June, 2013 - 10:41

i like summer clothes more than winter clothes .. in summer you can wear every thing yo want but in winter you must wear warmer clothes and the clours make me feel sad .. because we wear black and brown because this clours makes you feel hot ... but in summer the colours is so happy .. and comfortable

about_mire's picture
about_mire 7 June, 2013 - 08:19

OOh I defenetly prefer Summer clothes than winter ones! You feel more free and you can wear a lot of colours and brands.

Lavender 2 June, 2013 - 10:37

The picture implies a lot :) I don't like the winter because I can't feel my fingers in winters :(

Natalie3's picture
Natalie3 1 June, 2013 - 17:15

I like summer clothes because they are light, Colorful, comfortable and very attractive :)

745055's picture
745055 20 May, 2013 - 13:09

With different i prefer winter weather but i love summer clothe i love a summer style

Lively dancer's picture
Lively dancer 13 April, 2013 - 15:07

I prefer summer and I love colorful dresses but for me winter is also charming and magical but it can't last more that few months :D

IreBopp's picture
IreBopp 4 April, 2013 - 19:07

I prefer summer clothes beacuse in my summer's wardrobe there are a lot of t-shirts (that I love so much) and shorts!!! Also I love summer, so... I love these "items". (:

Natalija 20 March, 2013 - 16:10

I prefer summer. Everything is more interesting in the summer. I can swim, have long walks, go to seaside, eat ice cream etc. I wear comfortable clothes, dresses, sunglasses, heels, hats etc. All the advantages overweight the disadvantages.

cupcakegirl's picture
cupcakegirl 9 October, 2013 - 06:32

Hi Natalija. I am much like your fashion in the summer. I used to live in America, so I would use my summer wisely. But since I live in India now, since 3 months,I can stay in the summer style all year, because india is hot in the winters too! I also like a bit of winter style. I wear short dresses with matching tights underneath, and wear casual boots. To keep warm, I used to just keep a nice jacket. But like you, I like summer better, and be free to wear what I like.

Natalija 9 October, 2013 - 13:57

Hi :-)
I'm glad we both have almost the same style ;-). It's really cool you live in India now, since as you said, the weather there is very hot and you can wear summer clothes almost all the time. Where are you from? Are you Indian?

marila2013's picture
marila2013 16 March, 2013 - 19:10

i prefer summer clothes because they are funny very comfortable and light....but actually i love winter because of snow...!

Hanna's picture
Hanna 16 March, 2013 - 10:43

I prefer summer clothes. Because they are more comfortable and brightness. I hate sweaters. But I like scarfs. gloves and big winter bags)