Fashion

Viva La High Heel

Bethan Morgan

I have some difficulty walking in high heels. When I say some, I mean I can’t take more than a few steps without needing to stop, or hold onto a nearby wall, or give up completely and switch to flat shoes. If I go out with friends I will be the one with a spare pair of shoes in my bag ready for the moment where I just can’t take any more. So for me, wearing heels all day, to walk to work, around work and to walk home from work, is similar to leaving the house in Wales without an umbrella – a disaster waiting to happen.

So imagine my surprise when I arrive in Spain and almost every woman is wearing heels. Every day and every night. And they don’t just wear heels. They wear HIGH heels. I hate to think how many times I would break my ankles if I even tried to walk in some of those shoes. Although having said that, I do like the fashion of wearing heels, I think they make any woman look elegant and sophisticated, and I would love to be able to pull it off. I hope one day to be able to own a healthy collection of high heels which are worn frequently, instead of having a few pairs at the back of my wardrobe.

And here in Torrelavega, the small Cantabrian town I am living in, they seem to have a thing for shoe shops. On every street you will find at least one, and if not, you are never very far from somewhere to re-stock your footwear collection. Not that I am complaining, I love shoes just like every other girl.

Then one day I walked into Stradivarius, a shop which I have newly discovered since moving to Spain, and I saw Them. The Shoes. The turquoise heels which would go with anything. And I bought them. Don’t ask me why, as I think I mentioned a few times that I can’t walk in heels, but I bought them. And it’s a miracle – I wore them to go out with friends in Santander and I only had to change my shoes right at the end of the night. I don’t know whether it is living so close to heel-loving Spaniards, or whether it is the shoes themselves, but I appear, at least for now, to be cured.  Long live the high heel!

Do you like high heels? Can you walk in them?!

merlin's picture
merlin 17 February, 2013 - 19:26

i like high heels and i can walk without a problem but my age don t let me ti wear every day i wear it only in parties or birthdays .but for all those girls who can t walk with heels there is nothing intersting to loose heels are uncomfortable

flavia's picture
flavia 2 February, 2013 - 21:49

I like high heels .I can walk with them but they arent comfortable and i dont have high heels yet .

nedia.tola's picture
nedia.tola 31 January, 2013 - 13:52

I love heels but they're deffo not something i would wear every day,because they're not so comfortable

Jona's picture
Jona 11 January, 2013 - 17:48

I like high heels.They are flattering&make you look elegant and in style but they are not always comfortable.Personally I love flats.They dressy,stylish and yet very comfortable.

ellen's picture
ellen 1 January, 2013 - 18:09

İt is a beatiful this shoes . But I do not have...............................
I like hight heels so much

Bethan Morgan's picture
Bethan Morgan 12 November, 2012 - 14:11

why don't you all wear them? Is it because they are too uncomfortable or are there other reasons? Maybe you are not allowed to wear them at school?

rreze's picture
rreze 3 November, 2012 - 12:19

I LOVE high heels ..<3
but I'm still small to wear them.. when I grow up I'll wear them everyday.. :D

inaanderson's picture
inaanderson 2 April, 2013 - 16:07

For me I LOVE high heels, but I do agree that the shoes can be annoying as they can give you blisters and hurt your feet, but still LOVE the shoes! BTW the colour and the stye is AMAZING!!!!!!! :D :D

thebirdandtheworm's picture
thebirdandtheworm 16 July, 2012 - 17:32

I love high heels, they make us perfect more gentle and turn us to ideal women.
Really nice article :D

Tweetuntildie's picture
Tweetuntildie 28 June, 2012 - 22:50

I LOVE high heels, but for a strange reason I can't wear them! I see around me, every girl with my age is wearing a pair, but I can't... I seem like a dork when I use them! I think it's because I'm too young, I'm only 14!

I think that a woman wearing high heels looks PRECIOUS (if she knows how walk with them) but I think that it's bad for your health wear it all the time, once in a while is nice to wear a comfy pair of sneakers.

Nice article :)
P.S.: Sorry if I've made a mistake. If I did it, let me know. Lots of love, from me. xx

Bethan Morgan's picture
Bethan Morgan 20 August, 2012 - 12:10

It is very important to wear comfy shoes all the time, you are right ! I would much rather wear my old flat shoes and be able to dance than wear shoes which I can't walk in ! :)

Blue sea's picture
Blue sea 25 May, 2012 - 22:54

HEELS cause headache but i agree with you sometimes girls want to feel elegance & beauty with fashionable high heels ..you know that feeling like you own the whole world with simple tools...a brilliant feeling that is mixed with Happiness and confidence:)

GOOD ARTICLE !

macpiret's picture
macpiret 11 May, 2012 - 08:54

I like it. Women in high heels look elegant so why not make the effort? A night out in Santander deserves it!!!