Fashion

The 'wellies' trend

34
BronyaD

Recently in the United Kingdom a new fad has been growing ever more popular – ‘the Wellington boot’. We also use the names ‘welly boot’ and ‘wellies’ for short. These are a sort of waterproof boot first used by the aristocracy in the 19th century for hunting and for wearing outside. They were originally made of leather and now are made of natural rubber, or plastic. In short, they are very British, we especially need them as it rains a lot!

When I was younger welly boots were used for splashing in the mud, being on farms and running around outside and through puddles. They were also used by fisherman to be able to go deeper into the water without getting wet. They weren’t overly fashionable, and were certainly not a highly desired fashion item. Due to some sort of phenomenon, recently they have become extremely fashionable and you can even see people wearing them to do their shopping or just hanging out with their friends. You can buy all sorts of patterns: dots, stripes, flowers, multi-coloured. The options are as limitless.

Designers such as Cath Kidston, Havaianas, Dr Martens and other shoe companies have all started producing their own ‘Wellies’. An original welly boot company, ‘Hunters’, which was originally known for farming boots have started producing interesting and colourful boots of their own. They also sometimes have fur lined insides to keep your feet warm and are very good for fighting your way through the snow.  

It seems that other countries do not understand this fashion trend. For example, I am living in France and they think that it is very strange and are not interested at all in wearing them! Personally, I never wear them to university, the shops or to meet my friends. I wear them very rarely when it is raining a lot. I do have to admit, though, that it is a very practical trend! At least something that is in fashion will help to keep us warm and comfortable. What do you think? Does this kind of fashion item interest you and would you wear it for everyday activities?

What do you think about welly boots?!

BubblyUnicorn16's picture
BubblyUnicorn16 26 October, 2016 - 17:18

I've loved Welly boots ever since I was 5. They are so fun to splash in puddles with. I think that they are very cute.

DennisaDenn's picture
DennisaDenn 20 August, 2015 - 12:34

I really don't like welly bots, also in my country they was populary, but the fad dissapear. I like snikers. B)

aktoty_nis's picture
aktoty_nis 11 August, 2014 - 10:55

In our country welly boots aren't popular.We wear them only when It's raining . I didn't know that in the United Kingdom it is very fashionable. Actually welly boots are very comfortable.

akricardocarp's picture
akricardocarp 6 May, 2014 - 20:54

I think that they are very pretty but i think that these one are for girls.

SweetRobin3's picture
SweetRobin3 6 April, 2014 - 15:15

i think these welly boots in this picture are so cutee and colorful
so nice and pretty :)

Alexandra2003's picture
Alexandra2003 6 April, 2014 - 10:17

I like welly boots! feel very comfortable and happy when I wear them. My boots are in colourful stripes and I think the're pretty.In Russia welly boots are very useful - we can walking in them, go to forests and doing gardenwork. I very like to go through puddles when the rain is raining - I feel happiness in these moments:)

Oliii98's picture
Oliii98 26 January, 2014 - 16:40

I like them, and in autumn I have seen many people wearing wellies. But now there are very low temperatures in Poland ( even minus 15-20 degrees! ) and I'm sure feet could get really cold in them. And second thing is that, they can get broked! I had a crack in one wellies last winter, when i walked in them a lot :(

engleskigaga's picture
engleskigaga 26 January, 2014 - 12:14

Now I buy them. I wear them in my school, when is rainy and snowy. My boots are the best for snow and rain like other boots. They are very trendy and good. When I want to walk I wear them, with my friends. My friends usually said me: "Good boots I must buy them!". Last year I bought this boots too. One day I walked in forest and listened song of birds. In wood there was lot of branches and trees. One tree cut my boots and I was very sad. Then I go home and my mum was very angry because of my boots. Then they bought me new boots on my birthday and I was very happy. Now every year my mum buy me this boots. Now my favorite boots are orange and red like color of tress and oranges. My boots have umbrellas on it, very funny.

MALINE 25 January, 2014 - 19:38

This trend came to México last year and it has increasing widely,personally I don´t like them.

Natalija 23 January, 2014 - 13:22

I find them so adorable! I have three pairs of them and I wear them whenever it rains-at school, when I hang out with friends, for a walk... They are so trendy and fashionable too, and besides that, they also protect us from rain. A perfect match!

adachan's picture
adachan 18 January, 2014 - 03:30

in my country we used welly boots just for being on farm,gardening and sometimes for downpour. Not for using as everyday activities. I think it's not suitable for my country which is a little bit hot weather.

beatiful's picture
beatiful 17 January, 2014 - 14:44

I like rain and I go for a walk rainy weather... The boots are good idea in rainy weather
I like color boots ...

Niluh 17 January, 2014 - 06:45

Welly boots are good idea in rainy season such as in my country right now, people wear them everyday in their daily activities, go to school or work, walk along the street even ride motorcycle. My classmate wears them when she goes to school, she told me that there are lots of puddles on way home to school.
I think they're really delightful with sorts of patterns and multi-coloured, but here in my country they're not being fashion trend, as i wrote we only wear them when it's raining, i don't think i'll wear them to hang out with my friend, people will give me odd looks and wonder why this girl wear that shoes.