Fashion

Western style in the East

2
DaisyB

So anyone who knows me knows that I don’t particularly follow fashion trends. I’m perfectly content in jeans and an old hoodie, paired with a pair of classic Converse. I like simple clothes that all match so I can sleep more in the morning rather than spending time putting an outfit together. To be honest I’d rather spend my money on travelling somewhere or treating myself to a meal with friends than buying designer clothes. So when I found out I was going to live in China for a year, I didn’t give much thought to the choice of shops. I’d managed without Primark for a year in Australia, why would China be any different?

Since arriving in China I haven’t had to buy many new clothes (thanks to the 30kg of luggage I brought with me!) The past few weeks however, the temperature has plummeted drastically, and after a misunderstanding with my leather jacket at Halloween, I found myself coatless in very cold weather. Naturally, I ventured out to buy a coat, but wanting to challenge myself I thought I’d try a Chinese shopping centre rather than the Western style mall. It did not go to plan. Alongside the expected difficulties I had with the sizes (Chinese women are much smaller than I am) I really struggled to find a coat I liked enough to try. They just weren’t my style, and I didn’t even know I had any style!

After a fruitless couple of hours, I caved in and went to the Western shopping centre to slightly more familiar territory. After being annoyed at the prices and thinking about what else I could buy with the money, I eventually bought a winter coat which should hopefully last me through the Chinese winter.

Do you like to follow fashion? What sort of coats or jackets do you usually choose? 

Salmaihim's picture
Salmaihim 29 December, 2015 - 19:08

i loved your style at writing this article , i wish i could write the same way as you , i'm not a native speaker and i am struggling very badly with my distressing writing, You are such a lucky person. Anyway, keep it up your story is inspiring , i'm like you , not a person of fashion and love simple outfits too.

Silvermist's picture
Silvermist 3 January, 2016 - 09:48

Hey Salmaihim,
I was like you distressed at writing when I was bit younger. But if you believe in yourself and write from you heart and all the things from the depth of your heart, your writings will be will be deep as your heart. Each of us has a potential to write in different style we just have to find it. DaisyB has wonderfully written the article, someday you could too. Good luck!