Fashion

What do you wear?

ClaireE

What do you wear?

Here in France one of the things that has stood out is how there generally seems to be one line of fashion and people follow it. There are, of course, the different groups – you will get goths (in black), for example – but the locals here have also asked me if I’ve noticed this trend, a trend seemingly of following the fashion that high street shops present. I’ve frequently come across young people in heels, wearing a lot of make-up and with carefully combed hair, even when they’re not even going anywhere special. Maybe there is one image that lots of people are aiming for.

Do you think about fashion? 

Perhaps it is just from my experience, but in England young people can wear anything and everything these days. There are many fashions to be followed, including the one of the high street shops, but following no particular fashion at all is also ok. In Falmouth, home town of an arts university in the south of England, the streets are full of students wearing clothes they’ve bought from vintage markets, from charity shops, from high street shops, or which they’ve found in their parents’ wardrobe. Anything goes. Another stereotype, but still true, in places like Cambridge and Durham you will find students in gilets, and shirts crested with the Jack Wills logo. In London no second person will look the same. For the young people of Britain any hair colour, style and shape has the potential to be liked. You can wear what you want – even if you don’t wear it with high street style. Your style is your choice.

Do you make your own clothes?

Two of the ladies I have lived with here in France have been helping me learn to knit. The first one is a knitting-machine! She learnt to knit because she and her siblings had to knit socks and gloves during the war, or they would have been very cold. Making quilts, knitting accessories and editing clothing has even become more popular among young people in England today.

As I worked at a charity shop this morning and bought myself two items of clothing for 3 euros in total, I wondered why French young people don’t seem to dress themselves more from such shops. One student at school here said to me that she thought it was a shame – she’d noticed that being able to wear whatever you want allows you to express your personality through your clothes. I wonder how ideas of fashion will continue to develop here.

Do you like to follow the latest high street fashion or do you prefer a more individual look? Do you know how to knit? 

reeree17's picture
reeree17 4 December, 2016 - 21:27

I like to be individual look .Because I prefer to be unique . also I think if you have special style you wil be tho most wonderful person.
Yes, I know how to knitting and it is very interesting .

South's picture
South 17 June, 2014 - 07:16

it depends on the situation. sometimes you ought to follow the trends and sometimes you don't but usually i'd prefer an individual look

cklj's picture
cklj 12 February, 2014 - 20:46

I like to follow the latest trends, but I also like a individual look. My style is interesting and sophisticated in the same time. I wear everything that is appropriate for my age and fits in my style.
I don't know how to knit. Last year I wanted to learn to knit so badly, because is so fun, but I was busy. I hope that in the future my grandma will teach me how to knit.

Oliii98's picture
Oliii98 26 January, 2014 - 16:32

I don't mind about high street fashion ;)
I wear what i want, and I usually mind about feeling comfortable.
I don't like spending much money on clothes, I think it's waste of money. That why i buy them often second-hand or when there are big sales in other shops.

ClaireE's picture
ClaireE 25 January, 2014 - 22:23

Hey! 
I'm so glad you guys also value being individual and dressing how you want to! I agree also that it can be fun to follow trends sometimes - some trends are really tasteful and can be the most comfortable thing to follow sometimes. It's just important to be able to be who you are.
I am glad some of you arre knitting! I knitted some tea-cosys (what you put on a teapot to keep it warm) for friends for Christmas and they really liked them!
It's good fun :)
Happy New Year!

lili's picture
lili 8 December, 2013 - 10:26

i like to wear my own style with a little street fashion and this way i create sth unique and "famous"... <3

Natalija 5 December, 2013 - 19:53

I like to have my own style and stay unique, but to follow trends as well. The combination of this is perfect.
Yes, I know to knit, and I enjoy knitting, but many of my friends don't, and they don't know to knit. I think it's pity that nowadays, when we can buy whatever we want, we don't care for knitting and stuff like that. I think every young girl should know to knit. I also make my own clothes, and I sew.

cranberry's picture
cranberry 1 December, 2013 - 20:01

I prefer a more individual look and my grandmother tought me how to knit. i have a real passion for fashion

Bosnianchild's picture
Bosnianchild 23 November, 2013 - 14:43

I prefer individual look. Everyone want to looks individual, cool and sweet. But someone must be 'high street girl.'