Fashion

What to wear?

65
KatieP

I have recently moved to Hamburg in Germany and have always heard a famous stereotype that “Germans are very unfashionable”. I always heard that Germans just wear jeans and jumpers or some strange clothes. Since I have moved here though, I have found this to actually be completely false and I think I would prefer it if they did just wear jeans and jumpers, so I could do the same!
Hamburg is a very big shopping city with hundreds of clothes shops wherever you look. Aside from H&M, New Yorker and Mango, I have found a New Look and a new Topshop has recently just opened. These shops are quite popular shops in the UK and sell clothes which are always classed as very “fashionable”.

Another thing I really am struggling with as well as trying to be fashionable, I am trying to find the right clothes for the weather. I have found in Hamburg one minute it is nice and sunny but the next minute it is throwing it down with rain! One day it might start off really rainy and cold but by lunch time it is sunny and really hot so wearing a coat is not practical.

In general however I think it has also got cold here very quickly and it already feels like the winter that I am used to. I frequently go out in my winter coat, hat, gloves and scarf whereas many other people are still only wearing denim or leather jackets. I don’t understand how they do it as I am always freezing.  Is it better to blend in with fashion or be warm? I think I would rather be warm and maybe look like a bit of a banana in a huge coat rather than be shivering all day.

What do you think? Clearly I am missing something here as I seem to be the only one struggling over these fashion decisions.

Do you find it hard to choose what to wear? Is it important to you to look fashionable? 

demi's picture
demi 1 July, 2018 - 09:00

I like go shopping when I have free time. Sometimes for me it's hard to choose what to wear and fits me so I ask for help my mum.I believe that nowadays is important to look fashionable wearing the latest new fashion trends.I always choose both fashionable and wearable clothes.

a1234's picture
a1234 9 May, 2018 - 07:25

its very important to look fashionable, and sometimes its hard to find something to wear. But i always find something.

1 user has voted.
AraJSilva's picture
AraJSilva 8 October, 2015 - 01:06

it's not difficult for me . Usually wear jeans T -shirt and trainers .
I love fashion, but it's not important to me.

colorfulife's picture
colorfulife 20 September, 2015 - 08:03

Wearing is really simple. You can find a metcast for your region in no time!
I like fashion but i'm not chasing it. Sometime it can be wierd. I wear only those clothes I like.

JuliaGlu's picture
JuliaGlu 15 September, 2015 - 13:42

Sometimes, I can't choose what to wear, and sometimes it's simple. For me, clothes have to be comfortable and then fashionable

Mataco's picture
Mataco 15 September, 2015 - 01:32

I don't find it hard to choose what to wear. It is not important to me to look fashionable. I always wear jeans, t-shirt and trainers because is comfortable, I don't like wear dress or skirt.

mmaf98's picture
mmaf98 10 September, 2015 - 17:14

Sometimes I find hard to choose what to wear. I think it's important as long as you feel comfortable whit what are you wearing.

DianaEst's picture
DianaEst 8 September, 2015 - 00:43

Well, for me is difficult to decide when to wear out!! I love fashion but this isn't important for me...

mouncha's picture
mouncha 29 August, 2015 - 22:15

I don't find it hard to choose what to wear. I don`t think it's important to look fashionable since I have my own style. I like wearing dark clothes.

nefesh97's picture
nefesh97 27 August, 2015 - 18:13

I think that wear good look is important, I really find hard to choose what to wear. I like wear dresses, I love it, but during the weekend. In the week, I usually wear jeans, T-shirts, and trainers. I feel comfortable with my style.

Ken 27 August, 2015 - 14:09

I think the important thing to choose clothes is to find ones that fits me, suits me and makes me feel comfortable!
That's elementary…!
ヾ(´ω`)ノ ヽ(´∀`。)ノ ヾ(^▽^ヾ)

Elsa007 27 August, 2015 - 13:51

I don't think we always need to look fashionable but I think it's important to choose right clothes for right places in society....

Sole13's picture
Sole13 27 August, 2015 - 02:00

Yes, is nice fashionable. I sometimes wear jeans, T-shirt and trainers. I am very undecided at the hours of go out!

SmileBC's picture
SmileBC 26 August, 2015 - 02:39

I like fashion but it isn't important for me! I always wear hoodies, jeans and trainers because this style is really comfortable to me!
I can't spend hours and hours in front of my wardrobe thinking what wear! I think it's a waste of time!

Ken 26 August, 2015 - 10:50

Aha...., yeah it sounds a bit silly to spend hours for a choice of clothes...! Hmm, hoodie, jeans and trainers are the three most typical clothes for teens...!?
٩( 'ω' )٩( 'ω' )و

MarianaR's picture
MarianaR 23 August, 2015 - 01:52

I think a good clothing is very important and no problem if not fashionable clothes.... I always wear jeans and trainer it is a confortable clothes!

Ken 20 August, 2015 - 22:47

We wear school uniforms at school. No choice.....!
So we always try to come up with an idea that will show 'This is ME'! by adding some arrangements in a way of wearing to look more 'cool'!
✲゚。.(✿╹◡╹)ノ☆.。₀:*゚✲゚*:₀。

Jonathan - Coor... 21 August, 2015 - 06:21

Hi Ken. What kind of things do students do to customise their look? In my school we used to try and get a cool backpack that was unique and different from the rest, and it was quite common to try out different haircuts and styles, even though the rules were supposedly quite strict about that.

Ken 21 August, 2015 - 14:18

Thank you, Jonathan.
Well, for example, some boys have some fancy key chains for their purse obscurely showing in their back pants-pocket, or wearing blouse a bit informally by undoing the top button to make others feel amiable… (just like me in the photo!) Other boys who are keen sportsmen have clean shaven-heads and wear a uniform with neatness all the time.
Although their discretion depends on a school… I think!
ヽ( 'ω' )ノ (*´∀`*)ノ。+゚ *。

Jonathan - Coor... 26 August, 2015 - 08:30

Interesting! People are good at finding creative ways to show their individual style. 

lourdesc98's picture
lourdesc98 20 August, 2015 - 01:12

For me it´s quite difficult because in my town there arent nice clothes shops. I´m feel the only exception because i find everything ugly and not original but my friends love all the clothes look. I like to look good. I´m in love with haute couture , fashion show and all about fashion

Farooha13's picture
Farooha13 17 January, 2015 - 12:30

Yup, fashion is so important to any girl .... I can't get out without choosing carefully what to wear, my accessories and good makeup.... I adore fashion , as I wish it'll be my career in the future

dzeni 18 March, 2014 - 15:35

Well, it`s sometimes hard specially when I have to choose clothes for school. I always choose clothes in the evening so I`m sleepy but I also want to choose ideal combination. For me is very important to look fashionable because I like fashion but I also live in the world where people more appreciate your appearance than your traits.

cklj's picture
cklj 12 February, 2014 - 21:09

I don't find it hard to choose what to wear. When I'm in a good mood I make some extremely fashionable combinations, but when I'm lazy I don't pay much attention on my clothes.
I love to look fashionable and feel comfortable in the clothes I'm wearing as well. I often get compliments for my outfit and I'm proud of that. :D

MALINE 30 November, 2013 - 18:15

The really important thing is to use something comfortable and that suits you and pick things that match.
Here in México we said "You look like a safe deposit box" when you wear clothes from different colors and textures that doesn´t suits you and why we say that? the answer is that no one knows the combination.
Maybe this joke lost its grace in traslation what do you think?