5 Reasons to love winter!

17
ReganS

British summertime has officially ended and winter has arrived! Even here in France, where I am currently working as a language assistant, winter is in the air. Here are my five reasons why winter is my favourite time of the year!

1. As soon as that gentle chill in the air turns into biting cold you know winter has officially arrived! However, the cold weather is a perfect excuse to switch to a winter wardrobe. Personally, I love wrapping up in thick scarves, woolly hats and knitted socks. Plus, a large number of patterned, 'ugly' jumpers appear in the shops ... there is nothing better than a big, cosy jumper!

2. One of the worst things about winter is how it gets cold and dark really early. However, this is the best time to stay indoors where it is warm and cosy. You can relax with a great book or entertaining film, knowing that the frosty weather is safely on the opposite side of the window!

3. Winter food is the best kind of food! Staying inside on a chilly evening calls for hot chocolate and cream, warm apple juice or copious mugs of tea. Mince pies and other seasonal treats appear in the supermarkets, just begging to be served warm with cream. Winter vegetables can be roasted or turned into steaming bowls of healthy soup and winter fruits can be baked into yummy pies. Plus, if the cold weather is forcing you to spend the day indoors, there is plenty of time to bake a fruit cake, assemble a gingerbread house or experiment with the abundance of seasonal recipes that pop up across the internet.

4. It can be not very nice how early in the evenings it becomes dark. However, it is perfect for viewing fireworks. November 5th is Bonfire Night in the UK, meaning all across the country you will see vibrant lights decorating the sky. Also, Christmas lights get switched on in town centres, often with a switching-on ceremony. This is when everyone gathers in the street, often with music, games and food vendors, to witness the lights being turned on, sometimes by a celebrity. The country becomes illuminated with colourful lights, cheering up the dark, winter nights.

5. This is perhaps a pretty obvious one but once winter has arrived you know that Christmas is on its way, bringing with it a collection of delicious food, vibrant decorations, heart-warming films and television specials, festive events and activities, jolly music and time spent with love ones.

What is your favourite thing about winter? Do you have a favourite winter meal?

The thing I love about winter is "Winter" itself. :P It's the best season minus the flu, cold and cough. :p

Martin159's picture
Martin159 28 July, 2016 - 03:58

I live in a tropical contry therefore here the winter is characterize by the frequent rains, i like it even i get wet. My favourite winter meal is the egg soup than my mom cooks.

Elsa007 18 October, 2015 - 15:13

My favorite winter meal? Well… a lot! Anything hot, such as hot chocolate, strawberry tea, hot lemonade with honey and so on! :D
Among them my mum's pot-au-feu is great as well as hamburger stew!
I'm actually no good at coldness…!!

hadia 17 October, 2015 - 16:11

I love winter a lot! Hm.......That feeling when you're enveloped in a blanket and just started having sweet dreams :))) LOL That's soOOooo Cool xD and then suddenly you mother comes and says , "Wake up, It's already 7.00 am! You've to go to school as well! " Noooo!!!!!! I wanted to sleep more......................And all you desires are washed away!!!!!!!! Sad :((( hahaha! That's amazing.....................but really horrible when you've to go to your school So you (reluctantly) get up from the bed and your siblings are sleeping with their small heads on the pillow! Just because you're elder and have less winter vacation but your younger sis and bro are having plenty of them!
That's really a pity :))))
It always happen with me!! But I'm happy that I'm at the third number in my siblings......................Only one is younger than me and he's also not much younger! Other two who are elder are quite busy because they are in University! Therefore they have to study hard and do not have much holidays:))))))
I'm the best! yay................... ha ha ha ha

Muskaan's picture
Muskaan 17 October, 2015 - 16:07

Here in my country it is usually very hot in the summer so winter is a huge treat for us and we enjoy it a lot. In the evenings, the whole family gathers and we watch television while eating dry fruits like peanuts, cashews etc.
Also, winter means more coffee so yeahhh!! I love winter :)

hadia 18 October, 2015 - 08:56

Yep! You're right Muskaan!
We have to wait for the winter a lot!...................................Summer is still not going away!!......
Winter winter....Come soon to us!

Fatime143's picture
Fatime143 8 February, 2014 - 12:39

I like winter because i like first snow.It is cold in winter.People have on sweatres,coats,jackets and gloves.I play snowballs with my friends.My favourite winter meal is Noodle.

Mahmudova's picture
Mahmudova 3 February, 2014 - 18:49

it's in my country,but rainy not snowny.I have favourite drink for winter,it's hot chocolate milk

purpleblue's picture
purpleblue 14 November, 2013 - 06:09

it's winter in my country, but rainy not snowy. I have favorite drink for winter, it's hot chocolate milk

sweet_fiona's picture
sweet_fiona 12 November, 2013 - 14:40

I love winter. I love it when it snows outside. The beautiful dancing snowflakes and cuddling with my bed. :)
The most delicious food for me are cookies. In winter I can't get enough from them. They're so delicious. There's other food too that I like to eat in winter time but cookies are the best!

learningenglish282's picture
learningenglish282 11 November, 2013 - 22:33

the thing i like most about winter is SNOW, i can play with snow and other winter games. However, winter is very cold, when i walk to school, sometime i just feel like i'm about to freeze. Moreover, winter makes me feel the air is not fresh since all the trees don't have leaf anymore. Anyways, i like Spring and summer :))

Lavender 11 November, 2013 - 09:00

I agree with the 2nd point of view. It is true that winter is the perfect time to stay at home in a big blanket sleeping or watching or reading....But sadly apart from Christmas holidays we are not allowed to be at home more time than summer. We still have to go out to school, to the office, to the market and cope with the cold air and wind out side. Winter food is great my favorite is a cup of hot Milo milk in the morning and evening. I know summer is hot but I prefer it to winter. Because I don't like to put on many layers of clothes. I hate I can't wear a skirt and a pair of flip flop in winter. And I don't like the sky being grey all day, looking at it makes me feel down somehow. A winter day with the sun shining in the street is so beautiful I love it.

Natalija 9 November, 2013 - 14:50

I lover everything about winter, even the cold weather. I like the first snow, games in snow, holidays, like Christmas and New Year's eve, all that Christmas euphoria and everything. My favourite winter meals are muffins with chocolate, so delicious. ;-)

Harabeli Supersweet 8 November, 2013 - 14:39

I love Winter too. My favourite thing is the celebration of Christmas and New Year, Christmas Tree and all of those wonderful decorations. Snow is something that I love too, but it's so rare in the place where I live. I like eating chesnuts. They're so delicious. I just can't wait for December, my favourite month ever!