All Good Things

48
JohnM

When you go somewhere new, it’s hard to imagine yourself living there permanently. At first, everything is different: You’re in a new place with new people and nobody knows you. It’s terrifying. But it’s also an exciting adventure, where there are no prejudgements or preconceptions. It’s like a fresh start – a chance for you to reinvent yourself and be whoever you want to be.

Being abroad, you go through so much change in such a short period of time and it’s not always easy, especially when you’re so far away from your family and friends. So, naturally, it takes time for you to get settled in your new home. But it all eventually comes together: You meet interesting people, you make new friends, you discover beautiful places…and then one day being abroad becomes normal, it’s part of your life and you know that this is exactly where you want to be.

Living in Spain was surreal at the beginning – everything was so different to Scotland, so foreign and unfamiliar that it took me a long time to get settled. I needed time. But as I got more comfortable with the new people and surroundings, I started to forget about home; in fact, Scotland began to feel like a strange dream, one I no longer wanted to return to because I finally felt free.

And that's why, when the time did come, I didn't want to leave. I didn't want the experience to end, or the exciting adventure, or that feeling of being free. I really fell for Spain – but I didn't think I'd love it so much. It was just so hard for me to accept: You go abroad, you immerse yourself in another culture, you get settled, you make an effort to learn the language, meet new people, make new friends...and then, suddenly, you're supposed to leave this world behind and return 'home'.

Coming to terms with this was a long and difficult process. At first, I tried to ignore it, to pretend that it wasn’t happening. But it’s really better to be prepared: In the end, my friends and I tried to make the most of our time together, to make our final memories. And that's when Spain became surreal again, full of strange emotions. I was used to returning home for the holidays, but it was different this time – I knew that I wouldn’t be coming back.

It’s funny: Coming home for the last time was actually more difficult than going abroad. I didn’t think returning would be such an adjustment – I mean, Scotland is where I’m from, it’s where I belong, it’s familiar…but it’s like being awakened from a dream. It’s almost as if I was never in Spain. Nothing has changed, life is as it was...

There’s an expression: ‘All good things must come to an end’. Well, Spain was definitely a good thing, and even though it ended, I'll never forget it. Sometimes, I wish I could go back; I miss the Spanish lifestyle, my friends, speaking the language...but I wouldn't want to repeat the experience. It's over now, and that's fine. There are good times and there are bad times – change is constant. And I had a great time, but now I can look forward to something new.

Because when one door closes, another is waiting to be opened.

Would you like to live abroad in the future? Where would you choose to live? Why?

If I'd get a chance I'll go to Saudia Arabia. I want to do Pilgrimage (Hajj) and want to see the Mosque of Holy Prophet (Peace be upon Him) . It's a very refreshing feeling whenever I think about going there.

Ganesdita's picture
Ganesdita 13 June, 2014 - 06:26

Yes, I would like to live abroad. that's really my big dreams! I want to live in England or Yaman in the future!

Fatime143's picture
Fatime143 16 March, 2014 - 12:04

İ would like to live abroad one day.i would choose to live in Turkish or in England.

16MSC's picture
16MSC 18 November, 2013 - 20:32

Hi Ofelia I'm Dulce.
I agree with celia. I would love traveling around the world to experience new cultures,new food, new people, new lengugues...
To travel is dificult because you must leave you family,and friends... But it is worth.
When I was more young wanted to traveling to Autralia al Arecife de Coral.
Is my dream.

cespedosa2013's picture
cespedosa2013 18 November, 2013 - 19:38

I love travel, but I like live in Spain. I would like travel from other countries, but for a short time

surfer4's picture
surfer4 18 November, 2013 - 18:55

Hi Ofelia,I am Iván.I like travel, and in the future I would like live in other country because you learn new languages ,meet other friends and try any new foood.

GreenTshirt's picture
GreenTshirt 18 November, 2013 - 15:19

I like traveling because you can learn about other culturues, but when I travel I miss my friends. An exciting experience.

lollipop18's picture
lollipop18 17 November, 2013 - 23:13

Hi Ofelia, I'm Sofia.
I agree with the text, travelling to other countries is hard, because sometimes you live your friends, but travelling is a great experience in life, you have to seize.
When I grow up I want to live that xperience with my friends: Bea, Sophie, Jose, Diego, Alvaro...
I will use the languages that I'll learn this years and I'll use them for having fun with my friends. :)

Lau's picture
Lau 17 November, 2013 - 18:32

Ofelia, I'm Laura.
I agree with GDI15 because I'm agree all the things that she said. But I also think that it can be difficult becouse there are many new things that you have to be adapted.

GDI240800's picture
GDI240800 17 November, 2013 - 18:08

(I'm Celia)
Of course I would like to live in abroad in the future. Travelling It's very important and also very fun!
When you go to a lot of places, you can learn languages, meet people, know different cultures...etc.
In the future, I would like to live in Costa Rica because It's a tropical, wild and beautiful country and the culture there is very interesting.

Apg3's picture
Apg3 17 November, 2013 - 17:46

I always dream to live in other country to Spain, because i like travel. But i want to live in Spain, because i love my country.
But I argee with GDI15's (Lucía) reasons to travel to other countries.

GDI15's picture
GDI15 17 November, 2013 - 15:15

Hi Ofelia, I´m Lucía.
I agree with the text. I LOVE travel, because you know new places. You Know new people and you make new friends.
When I go to travel I have a great time whit my family or my friends.
You practice new leguages. And you learn new cultures, new artists, tipical foods...

ccrc's picture
ccrc 26 October, 2013 - 14:32

I'd love to live in italy or canada in future both of them are good countries to study and spending best time to go vacation and enjoy natur.

katalinka's picture
katalinka 18 September, 2013 - 13:02

Hey!
i am new here, when i read your articl of your experience (the exciting adventur) i like it and it was a nice trip.but when you come home should be a big thing you know you come to your land where you blong

justcricketforme 7 September, 2013 - 15:03

In future, I plan to go to England. I love every thing about England the accents, the culture, the counties, the fashoin, the food, cricket, especially cricket! All stuff about England is I love. I'd either live in London or Nottingham. London is a very fantastic place and my cousin and her children live there and I like Nottingham because my favourite cricket ground is Trent Bridge and it would be nice living in the city so I don't have to travell to watch any match there!

Pitaloka's picture
Pitaloka 19 August, 2013 - 04:33

I'd love to live in England in the future.
I love the people, place, culture, even the red bus.
But the mostly I love about England is their accent.
I want to be a part of England! :))

spongebob's picture
spongebob 28 June, 2013 - 13:25

actually i live in albania but in future i`d like to live in America
is the place of dreams :))))

SARAH K's picture
SARAH K 23 May, 2013 - 12:38

Yes, I would like to live in France. I have always loved the culture, the lifestyle and the educational system of France.

JohnM's picture
JohnM 9 June, 2013 - 20:14

I've just spent three months in France - it's a great country but different too.
Thanks for sharing :)

sailor moon's picture
sailor moon 21 May, 2013 - 17:53

i`d love to live in England.
I have seen many photos about England
and it is an amazing country.

MALINE 31 March, 2013 - 16:09

Yes, I´d love to live abroad that´s one of my dreams I hope I can get the chance to do it but I think I´ll miss my Country specially the food!.

JohnM's picture
JohnM 1 April, 2013 - 22:41

When I was in Spain, I missed a lot about Scotland. Especially the food. But I think everyone misses something about home when they are abroad. And you can always return for the holidays :) 

dona cenja's picture
dona cenja 1 March, 2013 - 04:26

Yes I like to live aboard.in the future I would like to live in Barcelona (Spain)..

Ani's picture
Ani 12 February, 2013 - 22:04

Yes, I would like to live abroad. I always wanted to go to England and America , because it's a beautiful and wonderful country!!!!

dorjeta nasufaga's picture
dorjeta nasufaga 30 October, 2012 - 20:47

I've always wanted to live in Germany..It's a wonderful country..I've never been there and I hope I will go with my family in Germany..:)

rreze's picture
rreze 29 October, 2012 - 17:03

.. In the future I would like to live in New York.. My aunt lives there and I would be very happy if i lived with her..
And I know that New York is a very big city ,so I would like to know how is it like to live in a big city..
Because I live in a small town called Ulcinj.. :)

Jo - Coordinator's picture
Jo - Coordinator 25 September, 2012 - 08:11

Hi ann_gemini! Thanks for your comment. I agree with you that England is a wonderful country, even though I don't live there anymore. Where are you from? What do you think would be the best things about living in England?

Joanna Gore (LearnEnglishTeens Team)

ann_gemini's picture
ann_gemini 25 September, 2012 - 09:23

Hi Jo Gore. I'm from Vietnam. I've never been there, but I love its scenery and I like talking in English :)