Australia

10
KatiedeS

Australia was always a country I wanted to visit so I saved up some money and booked a flight to go travelling up the East Coast at the end of my work placement in France. I had some friends studying there this year so it was the perfect opportunity to travel around and see friends as well as explore some new places on my own.

The flight made me realise exactly how far away Australia is from home. I spent 10 hours travelling on a plane from London to Hong Kong, then a further 8 hours to Sydney, my first stop in Australia. The flight went quite quickly though, since there were lots of films to watch to keep me entertained. It was strange when I arrived because everything is upside down over there; it was the start of winter (in May)! Fortunately for me the weather was still hot and sunny though. It also took me a while to get used to the time difference, as I was always one day ahead of all my friends and family back home.

The country is truly beautiful, full of incredible views and wildlife you wouldn't find anywhere else in the world. One of the highlights of my trip was visiting a koala sanctuary in Brisbane - there were koalas everywhere sleeping in the eucalyptus trees and I even got the chance to hold one. I learnt lots of facts about koalas too - did you know they can sleep for up to 22 hours a day to conserve energy? That's a very long time! At the sanctuary there was also a big lawn full of kangaroos that we were allowed to feed and stroke. They were really cute and very friendly. There was also a snake show which featured a huge long snake, although I kept my distance as I'm not a big fan of snakes.

Another highlight of my trip was snorkelling in the Great Barrier Reef, as the water was amazingly clear and a beautiful shade of blue. I also got the chance to spot some incredible creatures, such as sea turtles and even a shark.

I loved visiting everywhere from the stunning mountains and waterfalls in the National Parks to the long white sandy beaches. It's an incredible country and worth visiting one day if you ever get the chance. I'm already dreaming of going back, especially since it's raining back in England at the moment, and it's meant to be summer over here!

What have you learned about Australia? Would you like to visit there one day or have you already been? 

ntrang1507's picture
ntrang1507 23 October, 2016 - 16:11

Australia is a beautiful country with amazing views and friendly people. In this place, education has a high quality that attract loads of students from all around the world to study here. Studying abroad is one of my most important goals. In my country, there is a competition called "Make your dream comes true". The prize for the winner is 4 years study in Australia for free. I've tried to pass the basic round to come to the final round but always failed for 2 years. This year is the last opportunity for me to take part in so I have to try my best to achive my goal. See u next year Australia.

Sebastian_Kurtano's picture
Sebastian_Kurtano 11 October, 2016 - 06:48

I realy want to visit this country becouse Australian is a modern country with old traditions. And i think this county is amazing like.

Catarinababy's picture
Catarinababy 16 August, 2016 - 08:01

Nice to see everyone! I'm a new member. I really like traveling. And Australia is the interesting place to vist. I hope one day ican come there. Thanks for sharing your experiences in Australia . See you soon. Hope you all the best thing.

Patri's picture
Patri 8 August, 2016 - 18:09

I don't know such a lot of things about this country so far, situated in the middle of the ocean. But what I know for certain is that Australia is well-know for kangaroos, animals who became the symbol of the country. Unfortunately, I haven't visited yet Australia, but one day, this will be one of my destinations.

Carrie's picture
Carrie 13 July, 2016 - 18:02

Hi KatiedeS !
Thank you very much for answering me !
Yes, I imagine that there are so much things to do when you visit a country !
Your article tempted me to do some Australian cooking...so today, I tried a recipe that I found on an Australian site. It is called "Upside-Down Peach Cake" and even it is not an exotic food for everyone, it is very delicious !!
Here is the link :

Carrie's picture
Carrie 11 July, 2016 - 13:00

Hi !
I haven't already been to Australia but I admit that I'd love visiting this wonderful country ! I knew koalas slept a lot, but I did'nt imagine that their daily nap lasted for 22 hours ! I ignored that the kangaroos accepted the strokes ! I should try it one day !
I just have a question for KatiedeS : Did you see the Uluru or Ayers Rock during your trip ?
If you miss the koalas you can watch the San Diego's one in the city's zoo with an online camera.
There is a time difference between you and the zoo depending on where you live but when you can see them they are so cute ! And of course, they are often sleeping !

KatiedeS's picture
KatiedeS 13 July, 2016 - 09:14

Hi Carrie! Unfortunately I didn't have time to visit Uluru while I was in Australia but it's somewhere else I'd love to see and hope to visit one day.

Thank you for the koala video - it was nighttime there when I looked but I will try again at another time of day to catch them in the daytime (although I'm sure they will be sleeping)!